Thermal Paste help!

chancy

I replaced my laptop's thermal paste with Arctic Silver 5 the first time I did it I might have put too much, the second time I did it i put enough for the laptop. I know the cure time is 200 hours but shouldn't there already be a difference im getting a idle temp of around 70C and full load goes up to 84C the first time it actually shut down on me but I don't know if its because of the cure time or if I am doing sometime wrong, any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

I replaced my laptop's thermal paste with Arctic Silver 5 the first time I did it I might have put too much, the second time I did it i put enough for the laptop. I know the cure time is 200 hours but shouldn't there already be a difference im getting a idle temp of around 70C and full load goes up to 84C the first time it actually shut down on me but I don't know if its because of the cure time or if I am doing sometime wrong, any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Welcome to the forums!

For a bare CPU die on a laptop I usually apply a small length along the die but also it depends on the cooling solution and CPU you have on hand. The difference in temps for the silver compound after curing is usually ~5C from what others results have seen.

Welcome to the forums!

For a bare CPU die on a laptop I usually apply a small length along the die but also it depends on the cooling solution and CPU you have on hand. The difference in temps for the silver compound after curing is usually ~5C from what others results have seen.

http://shop.mcccomputers.com/13174-thickbox_default/new-intel-core-2-duo-t7100-laptop-cpu-18ghz-2mb-478-sla4a.jpgThe cpu on my laptop is the similar as this image, I went in arctic website and they suggested the spread method which is what i did since i did some research on the internet and some listed that the pressure of laptop heatsink might not be strong enough to spread the thermal paste. How would i go with applying thermal paste on the surface of that?

http://shop.mcccomputers.com/13174-thickbox_default/new-intel-core-2-duo-t7100-laptop-cpu-18ghz-2mb-478-sla4a.jpgThe cpu on my laptop is the similar as this image, I went in arctic website and they suggested the spread method which is what i did since i did some research on the internet and some listed that the pressure of laptop heatsink might not be strong enough to spread the thermal paste. How would i go with applying thermal paste on the surface of that?

Same as any regular CPU by apply a pea or uncooked gain of rice and cross threading the screws on the cooler to ensure even pressure, using the spread method can introduce bubbles in the thermal compound causing the temps.

Same as any regular CPU by apply a pea or uncooked gain of rice and cross threading the screws on the cooler to ensure even pressure, using the spread method can introduce bubbles in the thermal compound causing the temps.

Yea i know the risk of using spread method but im afraid about the heatsink not having enough pressure to do so, anyways I'll try it and report back hope it goes well. Anyways i should add that this is not my main laptop this is my old one that i want to install windows 10 preview on but i couldn't because the laptop would overheat. Since the temperatures are around 70C do you think it could go even lower in idle even with a 200hour cure time?

Yea i know the risk of using spread method but im afraid about the heatsink not having enough pressure to do so, anyways I'll try it and report back hope it goes well. Anyways i should add that this is not my main laptop this is my old one that i want to install windows 10 preview on but i couldn't because the laptop would overheat. Since the temperatures are around 70C do you think it could go even lower in idle even with a 200hour cure time?

I've seen it go down ~5C after curing but I assume from that photo this is an older processor, which can produce more heat and probably a not so well designed heatsink back in the day.

That's way too hot; Cure time only makes + or - 5 C difference. 
Do not use the spread method; that's dumb.

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!

Yea now that I think it's most likely the spread method that gave air bubbles I'm just gonna stick to squeezing thermal paste out and letting heatsink do the work, thanks all for helping me I'll keep you updated.

ok the first image is the 2nd try with the spread method when i put thermal paste the 3rd picture is what i just did but the temperatures seems to be the same as before.

post-233906-0-68549500-1433573469.jpg

post-233906-0-67318200-1433573470.jpg

post-233906-0-57770100-1433573471.jpg

ok the first image is the 2nd try with the spread method when i put thermal paste the 3rd picture is what i just did but the temperatures seems to be the same as before.

That's a fair bit of paste on the secon  on with the gain of rice method but also I notice that you have an older removable CPU, and that heatsink uses the metal edge to do the heat transfer which isn't the most ideal. It's probab;t the fact that it's an older CPU and not the best designed cooler that's causing such high temps but what was your temps before doing any work on it.

That's a fair bit of paste on the secon  on with the gain of rice method but also I notice that you have an older removable CPU, and that heatsink uses the metal edge to do the heat transfer which isn't the most ideal. It's probab;t the fact that it's an older CPU and not the best designed cooler that's causing such high temps but what was your temps before doing any work on it.

The temperatures were pretty much the same except that it would go really high straight away since the old oem paste had dried up and cracking. I've just about given up.

The temperatures were pretty much the same except that it would go really high straight away since the old oem paste had dried up and cracking. I've just about given up.

Then the new thermal paste keep it at a reasonable level and not shoot up straight away, being your cooling solution on the laptop itself wasn't designed very well or the GPU and GPU output a fairly large amount of heat.