FX CPU's + DX 12

I heard that FX cpu's will do better in DX 12 and will do better performance than i3,i5 and i7 (if we talk about stock speed) .. I wouldn't Overclock an FX cpu coz it is Strong enough to run games for me. and they said FX CPU's will be futureproof CPU since it has many cores at least.. latest games now only use 4 cores for now, what do you guys think? is it good to get i7 or 8350? 8350 is a lot cheaper, so I think I will get this one, I will spend more on my GPU I think

8350? Please, don't... it is an old CPU, get at least an i5

I heard that FX cpu's will do better in DX 12 and will do better performance than i3,i5 and i7 (if we talk about stock speed) .. I wouldn't Overclock an FX cpu coz it is Strong enough to run games for me. and they said FX CPU's will be futureproof CPU since it has many cores at least.. latest games now only use 4 cores for now, what do you guys think? is it good to get i7 or 8350? 8350 is a lot cheaper, so I think I will get this one, I will spend more on my GPU I think

i7, or i5. DX12 might bring better performance for CPU's like the FX8, however current games won't get DX12(and to complicate things even further, there is not garauntee that devs will even take advantage of multicore set ups).

DX12 is going to reduce the bottleneck between the CPU and the GPU, its also going to help the Intel processors as well.  FX8s are not true 8 core processors.

Lastly, DX12 isn't going to change that some games, and some features/aspects of games just flat out run better on stronger cores than many weak ones.

Do not buy into the FX CPUs.  Its like smoking cigarettes because the cure for lung cancer might become available. 

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

FX CPUs will do better in DX12 than they currently do since DirectX 12 makes the rendering process on the CPU more multi-threaded, so the FX CPUs won't get bogged down as much by their weak per-core performance. I wouldn't call them future proof by any means. They have more integer processing units, but overall they're not what you'd call a true eight-core, and DirectX 12 is going to help ALL CPUs, not just high core-count CPUs... so Intel CPUs will perform better as well.

Even current games that can use more than 4 threads still tend to perform substantially better on an i5 than on an FX-8350, and usually the FX-8350 performs about the same as an Intel i3. And an i3 is going to perform better than present when DirectX 12 comes out as well.

So basically the FX will be better when DirectX 12 comes out, but so will Intel's chips... so there's really no reason to get an FX-8350 banking on DX12 fixing its problems. Furthermore it's going to be a long time before games are built using DirectX 12. Games coming out for the next ~3 years will most likely be DirectX 11, maybe some leveraging some features of DX12 without fully utilising all it has to offer.

Really you should be investing in an i5. An i7 is overkill, and the gains from an i5 to an i7 are quite minute. I'd suggest getting an i5-4460, 4590 or 4690 with an H97 motherboard. The performance in pretty much every game will be better than the FX-8350. In some games the difference will be small, and in others it can be quite a massive performance difference. The odd game is borderline unplayable on FX CPUs. For example in DayZ or RIFT going from AMD FX to Intel CPU can improve framerates (minimums specifically) by almost double.

Also saving money on the CPU to put more into the GPU only makes sense if the CPU will support it without any issues. Further, it's a lot easier to upgrade a GPU than a CPU, and GPUs get outdated much quicker. A lot of people are still happily using >4 year old Intel CPus without any issues. Sandy Bridge is still very competitive and offers great performance, at least when overclocked... but you don't really hear about anyone using GTX 470s these days. For instance the difference between a 2010-2011 CPU and a current CPU is <30%, while the difference in GPUs in that time has more than doubled. So it's a lot less hassle and you'll get more longevity out of your system if you get a stronger CPU up front that will handle a strong GPU and future GPUs, and get a mid-ranged card that won't break the bank... then you can upgrade GPU a couple years later without any issues and get really good performance. If you go for a weak CPU and strong GPU now, the strong GPU will perform like a mediocre GPU (unless playing very GPU-bound settings like 4K <60FPS) and you'll end up having to upgrade the CPU AND GPU, and likely motherboard (prob RAM with DDR4 rolling out) too.

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

I would use mantle as a general guide so:

A FX on DX12 will be significantly better than a FX on DX11

A i5 on DX12 will be somewhat better than an i5 on DX11

A i5 on DX11 is significantly better than a FX on DX11

A i5 on DX12 will be somewhat better than a FX on DX12

So speculatively I would say an FX will benefit more from DX12 than a i5 but it will only aid in closing the gap it wont change the overall hierarchy of power.

Only time will tell though...

Also saving money on the CPU to put more into the GPU only makes sense if the CPU will support it without any issues. Further, it's a lot easier to upgrade a GPU than a CPU, and GPUs get outdated much quicker. A lot of people are still happily using >4 year old Intel CPus without any issues. Sandy Bridge is still very competitive and offers great performance, at least when overclocked... but you don't really hear about anyone using GTX 470s these days. For instance the difference between a 2010-2011 CPU and a current CPU is <30%, while the difference in GPUs in that time has more than doubled. So it's a lot less hassle and you'll get more longevity out of your system if you get a stronger CPU up front that will handle a strong GPU and future GPUs, and get a mid-ranged card that won't break the bank... then you can upgrade GPU a couple years later without any issues and get really good performance. If you go for a weak CPU and strong GPU now, the strong GPU will perform like a mediocre GPU (unless playing very GPU-bound settings like 4K <60FPS) and you'll end up having to upgrade the CPU AND GPU, and likely motherboard (prob RAM with DDR4 rolling out) too.

GPU performance has just about quadrupled.

IgiUFPi.png

bMb8drl.png

That said people,including me, still use GTX 480s because not everybody needs to play at max settings @ 1440p and/or drive a 120-144hz panel 

And you're entirely correct in saying that  DX12 won't just suddenly appear in all games, but I think the adoption will be much faster than DX11 and for good reason; DX11 launched in October 2009 and was supported (for the base specification) by only the HD 5000 series which had launched barely more than a month prior to DX11's launch and Nvidia took about half a year to release the GTX 400 series in order to have GPUs that supported DX11.

This time around support goes all the way back to the GTX 400 series and the HD 7000 series meaning that developing your gaming only for DX12 won't mean abandoning a large majority of your customers.

I think we can expect to see a fair amount of big games (available to consumers) developed primarily for the DX12 API by Q4 2017.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552