650 Ti doesn't want to fold...

Go to solution Solved by warmon6,

I should of looked at this sooner, (been busy with making the live stats for the team)

Although to answer your question, I dont think mac's have any "official" support for gpu folding. Or at least i haven't recalled any since I've started folding in 2009.

http://folding.stanford.edu/home/guide/osx-install-guide/

Requirements

The new V7 software has the same basic hardware and operating system requirements as the previous clients. However, a few software specific requirements have changed to support newer features. Listed by slot type:

CPU Slot Requirements
    OSX 10.6 or later
    64 bit CPU (core 2 duo or better)
    Broadband internet connection or faster

GPU Slot Requirements
      GPU folding is not currently supported in OSX

Wish I have better news.

So I have been folding perfectly on my 8 core 3Ghz Mac Pro for a while now, however when I try and fold on my GPU, that slot try's, and fails, to pull a WU from work server-0.0.0.0. Consequently I can't tap the unused power sitting in that PCIE slot! I'm running version 7.6.3 in mountain lion if that helps, I'm a compleat folding noob :'(

Well, this may be an issue - I have no knowledge of MAC and any differences on the "mac" version of AMD cards and drivers. Are you running the latest drivers? Also, try and delete the GPU slot and re-add it. You can review the FAQ as I assume the FAH client should be pretty much the same between PC and MAC.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Well, this may be an issue - I have no knowledge of MAC and any differences on the "mac" version of AMD cards and drivers. Are you running the latest drivers? Also, try and delete the GPU slot and re-add it. You can review the FAQ as I assume the FAH client should be pretty much the same between PC and MAC.

Hay whaler, thanks so the speedy reply. I' had done a bit of reading before coming here, and from everything I have read, the FAH clients are almost, if not completely identical. I had also tried deleting and re-applying the GPU slot many times, and to no avail. On the driver front, as of Osx 10.8.1, all Nvidia 500 and 600 (or something like that) series cards are supported natively on the OS, so in driver terms what apple give you is what you get. I don't suppose you have any other ideas? If not, I greatly appreciate the help anyway!

Jake

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

The appropriate posts have been made in the appropriate places! Thanks for the help Whaler!!! :D  

I should of looked at this sooner, (been busy with making the live stats for the team)

Although to answer your question, I dont think mac's have any "official" support for gpu folding. Or at least i haven't recalled any since I've started folding in 2009.

http://folding.stanford.edu/home/guide/osx-install-guide/

Requirements

The new V7 software has the same basic hardware and operating system requirements as the previous clients. However, a few software specific requirements have changed to support newer features. Listed by slot type:

CPU Slot Requirements
    OSX 10.6 or later
    64 bit CPU (core 2 duo or better)
    Broadband internet connection or faster

GPU Slot Requirements
      GPU folding is not currently supported in OSX

Wish I have better news.

Thank you man, I had heard that GPU folding wasn't supported, but then I had heard things that contradicted that as well, so thank you for a definitive answer!

Thank you man, I had heard that GPU folding wasn't supported, but then I had heard things that contradicted that as well, so thank you for a definitive answer!

Glad to be of service and stuff that you were hearing that might of contradicting the official statement, it might of been from the "unofficial" support though the use of W.I.N.E 

http://www.winehq.org/

http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=3744

Although this has only been able to work on the older windows v6 gpu client ( getting windows v7 client to run in wine has failed from what i've seen) and even if you did get a windows gpu client v6 running on your mac, newer gpu WU are being made to strictly run on the v7 client.

So it's kind of a lose-lose situation.

What I can say is, If Linux is getting gpu support, you know the Mac's are not far behind (linux gpu support just came around a few short months ago.

So soon-ish, you'll be able to fold.  :)

Glad to be of service and stuff that you were hearing that might of contradicting the official statement, it might of been from the "unofficial" support though the use of W.I.N.E 

Although this has only been able to work on the older windows v6 gpu client ( getting windows v7 client to run in wine has failed from what i've seen) and even if you did get a windows gpu client v6 running on your mac, newer gpu WU are being made to strictly run on the v7 client. I like the sound of everything you are telling me! All very promising, I very can't wait to get that PPD up! Thanks again man! :D

What I can say is, If Linux is getting gpu support, you know the Mac's are not far behind (linux gpu support just came around a few short months ago.

Although this has only been able to work on the older windows v6 gpu client ( getting windows v7 client to run in wine has failed from what i've seen) and even if you did get a windows gpu client v6 running on your mac, newer gpu WU are being made to strictly run on the v7 client. I like the sound of everything you are telling me! All very promising, I very can't wait to get that PPD up! Thanks again man! :D

I like the sound of everything you are telling me! All very promising, I very can't wait to get that PPD up! Thanks again man!  :D

No problem and I fixed your post there.   No need to hide what your saying by mixing it in my post.  :P lol