MS Word Resume

adithyay328
Go to solution Solved by Leonard,

Well, it says that MS word can't open the contents of the file because it's corrupted or something like that.

Well this is a different issue. You have a corrupted file and you really can't "un-corrupt" it. Did you do your resume on another PC and then tried to open it in some other PC and then you got this message? If so try opening it on the PC you created it and then try to e-mail it to yourself or put it in google drive if you have that then go to the other PC and try to open it. it might open then.

Hey guys! So, I'm trying to open a resume which I made in MS word using the resume template. Now, I'm having some problems. First of all, the file type was originally a "file". So, I went into properties and added .docx(MS word extension) to the document name, and then tried to open it in word. But, word says it can't open it. So, yeah. Thanks in advance for your help!

Is the error message about "you don't have permissions" yadda yadda or is it that you are using office 2003 and trying to open a 2007 word document?

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Is the error message about "you don't have permissions" yadda yadda or is it that you are using office 2003 and trying to open a 2007 word document?

Well, it says that MS word can't open the contents of the file because it's corrupted or something like that.

save it as a standard .doc

a docx is for word 07 and up, if a .doc gets renamed to docx you wont be able to open it because Word recognizes its files differently than just your average text file

Scrapyard Build Total Cost: $268AUD

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350

Well this is a different issue. You have a corrupted file and you really can't "un-corrupt" it. Did you do your resume on another PC and then tried to open it in some other PC and then you got this message? If so try opening it on the PC you created it and then try to e-mail it to yourself or put it in google drive if you have that then go to the other PC and try to open it. it might open then.

save it as a standard .doc

a docx is for word 07 and up, if a .doc gets renamed to docx you wont be able to open it because Word recognizes its files differently than just your average text file

This is only if he is opening in on Office 2003.

Yeah! I made it on another PC, sent it to my computer, and then started working on it.

This is only if he is opening in on Office 2003.

No it isnt.

the doc vs docx opens differently due to the way the MS format XML works. (2 different ones, recognizes extension for compatibility).

lrn2Word

Scrapyard Build Total Cost: $268AUD

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350

Yeah! I made it on another PC, sent it to my computer, and then started working on it.

Try opening it on the PC you created it on and see if it opens.

No it isnt.

the doc vs docx opens differently due to the way the MS format XML works. (2 different ones, recognizes extension for compatibility).

lrn2Word

That is what i am saying too. If he saved it as .docx he won't be able to open it in MS word 2003 which is .doc.  

.doc and .docx can be opened in MS word 2007 and up but .docx can't be opened in MS word 2003 and yes it is because of the xml formating.

EDIT.

post-3854-0-74192100-1433391798.png

If he is in MS word 2007 and newer, he needs to do the "save as" and choose Word 97-2003 template for it to open in MS word 2003 and 2007 and newer.