USB 3.0 via mPCIe

rcarteraz

First, if this is in the wrong place, please forgive me. This is my first post. I've searched around for info but haven't really found anything much helpful. I have a cheap HP2000 laptop that doesn't include USB 3.0. I tend to backup about 200 GB a week to external HDDs. Hopefully in the next 6 months I'll be able to build a NAS.

In the mean time I would really like to get some faster transfer speeds utilizing USB 3.0. As my laptop is connected via Ethernet I have no need for wifi. My wifi card is connected via a mPCIe slot on the bottom. Has anyone had any luck with and adapter that adds USB 3.0 slots?

I've seen a couple different ones online that I'd be interesting in trying. Does anyone have any recommendations or any success with these?

Any help would be great! Thank you

I haven't seen any that will actuall fit into a mPCIe bracket, let alone the actual laptop. Most of them appear to just be wifi cards.

There's stuff like this

sku_368899_1.jpg

But all the ones that look legit need external power

I had assume that I would probably need to modify the bottom cover of my laptop to accommodate anything I add but that shouldn't be an issue. I'll have to look into it some more. So far it seems to be a busted idea. 

I haven't seen any that will actuall fit into a mPCIe bracket, let alone the actual laptop. Most of them appear to just be wifi cards.

Thank you, I'll be sure to make sure before I do anything.

I had assume that I would probably need to modify the bottom cover of my laptop to accommodate anything I add but that shouldn't be an issue. I'll have to look into it some more. So far it seems to be a busted idea. 

Thank you, I'll be sure to make sure before I do anything.

I was looking into this for a while too, don't worry, you're not the only one to have this idea. Personally I think it would be amazing if we could have a PCIe standard for laptop graphics cards, instead of having it be a proprietary slot for very rare, very expensive laptops. Perhaps if there were a riser? or instead of a SATA interface for the ODD, have it as a PCIe interface and then if people want, they just have a graphics card to replace it and a nice cooler on it. It'd be amazing.

Now you've got me thinking of wacky ideas for laptops...