i5 4590 vs Xeon e3-1230 v3

Title says it all. Already have a mobo that supports the Xeon. Solely for gaming purposes.

CPU: INTEL Core i7 4790k @ 4.7Ghz - Cooling: NZXT Kraken X61 - Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X SLI - RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ares 2400mhz - GPU: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury 4G - Case: Phanteks P350X - PSU: EVGA 750GQ - Storage: WD Black 1TB - Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14s (Push) / 2x Corsair AF140 (Pull) / 3x Corsair AF120 (Exhaust) - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red - Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma

Bit of an AMD fan I suppose. I don't bias my replies to anything however, I just prefer AMD and their products. Buy whatever the H*CK you want. 

---QUOTE ME OR I WILL LIKELY NOT REPLY---

Xeon. It's just a better cpu for about the same price. Even if you don't need it, it's still as good.

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

That mobo will also support the it.. Go for the i5.. The Xeon is $50-60 more expensive and offers hyperthreading.. But just a small percentage of games benefit from hyperthreading.. You will be fine with the i5..

But if you have the money and you don't mind not having an iGPU then . Get the Xeon E3 1231 V3.. 3.4GHZ with HT $15 cheaper. . Doesn't come with cooler tho.. But you can get a better cooler than stock for $15

Xeon. It's just a better cpu for about the same price. Even if you don't need it, it's still as good.

50 bucks ain't about

I5 4590 -$189

Xeon E3 1230 V3 - $156

50 bucks ain't about

I5 4590 -$189

Xeon E3 1230 V3 - $156

You just said it's cheaper, even morr reasons to buy it.

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

You just said it's cheaper, even morr reasons to buy it.

I was talking about the 1231 V3 3.4ghz compared to the 1230 V3 3.3ghz.. You get me..

Xeon E3-1230 v3 CPU integrates Hyper-Threading feature, which doubles the number of threads that the microprocessor can process simultaneously and also energy efficient.

Xeon E3 all the way 4 cores 8 threads goodies.

If you can grab the Xeon E3-1231-V3 at the same price, then grab that one.

Solely for gaming purposes.

not much difference between the two CPU when it comes to gaming, but obviously the xeon is a better chip, it should cost you more as well.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

That mobo will also support the it.. Go for the i5.. The Xeon is $50-60 more expensive and offers hyperthreading.. But just a small percentage of games benefit from hyperthreading.. You will be fine with the i5..

But if you have the money and you don't mind not having an iGPU then . Get the Xeon E3 1231 V3.. 3.4GHZ with HT $15 cheaper. . Doesn't come with cooler tho.. But you can get a better cooler than stock for $15

I have the Xeon E3-1231v3 and it comes with the same stock heatsink as an i5 or i7, but with a slightly better fan. My temperatures are outstanding with it too, always peaks in the mid 60s C in long gaming sessions even though it's summer in Texas right now.

I have the Xeon E3-1231v3 and it comes with the same stock heatsink as an i5 or i7, but with a slightly better fan. My temperatures are outstanding with it too, always peaks in the mid 60s C in long gaming sessions even though it's summer in Texas right n

oww okay but i was being specific.. what i was suggesting was the tray processor not in box...

but thats some nice temps for stock cooler.. now im tempted to go with the xeon

If you can get a Xeon that fits your budget, then go with it. Better CPU for the same amount of money, even if you don't need it you still got the raw hp. There are even Xeon options which come without integrated graphics for even cheaper. It may be risky ofc in case your discrete GPU fails, but still it's seriously good value for money.

If you can get a Xeon that fits your budget, then go with it. Better CPU for the same amount of money, even if you don't need it you still got the raw hp. There are even Xeon options which come without integrated graphics for even cheaper. It may be risky ofc in case your discrete GPU fails, but still it's seriously good value for money.

One thing to remember is anything below E3-1230 doesn't have hyperthreading though, so it's just an i5 with 2MB more of L3 cache. E3-1230 and above are basically i7s though.

Another warning with Xeon E3s: they have really different model naming than do the consumer chips. Xeon E3-1230 is a Sandy Bridge chip, Xeon E3-1230v2 is an Ivy Bridge chip, and Xeon E3-1230v3 is Haswell.