Hi guys! i just wanted to make a quick introduction about me to  the linus tech tips community! I tried looking for a dedicated intro discussion post but couldn't seem to find it, so i apologize in advance if I'm posting in the wrong place lol. Well, my name is Carlos, I'm from Las Vegas, NV, I recently graduated from Rancho HS with Advanced Honors, and i will attending Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University (Prescott, AZ) in the fall, majoring in Aerospace Engineering. I wanted to buy a new computer for college but then I learned about the build it yourself community and now I'll be building my first computer next week :D I'm planning a military themed build and will be using the pc for video editing, gaming, game capture, 3D CAD, schoolwork, and occasional browsing of the internet.

here's the parts

PC components:

-CPU: Intel Core-i7 3930K

-Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth TUF X79 Mobo

-Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2133Mhz 32GB Quad Channel RAM

-Video Card: EVGA ACX GTX 780 3GB

-Case: Corsair Vengeance C70 Military Green w/ Noctua NF-S12A case fans (will replace side window for a clear one w/ no fan holes)

-CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ Noctua NF-F12 fans (thanks linus!)

-SSD: Corsair Neutron GTX 480GB SSD (no HDD)

-PSU: Corsair AX1200i

-Disc Drive: Asus Blu-Ray Writer (gonna make it a stealth drive)

-Game Capture Card: Avermedia Live Gamer HD

-Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster ZXR 

Additional Peripherals:

-Monitors: x2 Asus VG248QE 144hz 24" monitors

-Sound System: Corsair SP2500 2.1 

-Keyboard: Corsair K70 in Black and Red

-Mouse: Corsair M65 Military Green

-Webcam: Logitech C920

and that's it! around $4,700 is the total amount

I can't wait to start posting the build in the build log section!

It's looking good. Welcome to the forum

I can't help but notice an operating system is missing, are you going Windows 8 for this? Or maybe linux. Another thing, you could save yourself some money by getting a smaller PSU... That thing is massive for the components you're using

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

It's looking good. Welcome to the forum

I can't help but notice an operating system is missing, are you going Windows 8 for this? Or maybe linux. Another thing, you could save yourself some money by getting a smaller PSU... That thing is massive for the components you're using

I'm gonna with windows 7 and regarding the PSU, I was thinking about getting a lower wattage supply, but I think I'll just stick with the ax1200i.

I'm gonna with windows 7 and regarding the PSU, I was thinking about getting a lower wattage supply, but I think I'll just stick with the ax1200i.

It's your call of course, but you can get SLI 780's with that processor for under 800

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

Why are you not going with the Haswell processor line and the z87 TUF motherboard? 

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

Nice intro mate, also aerospace engineering ehh, that is sweet :) Welcome

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Why are you not going with the Haswell processor line and the z87 TUF motherboard?

I was considering that but due to the 3d cad work and video editing I'll be doing, its better to have more cores, I've had first hand experience with this as in high school I had an engineering course, where we used 4 core processors but then I participated in an engineering competition, where we got to use alienwares (with the 3930k) and I saw significant improvement in performance

It's your call of course, but you can get SLI 780's with that processor for under 800

So you recommend something like ax860i or is that still too much?

The AX860i would be fine

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Yeah, something with much less wattage. You could actually probably make do with The 750,but by going for 900 you can cover yourself in case you want to add another graphics card. Also, sorry for the long reply time. I only get notifications about 70% of the time. It's really annoying... Also I'm on a phone right now so I can't quote your post

@caop1231

I am good at computer

Spoiler

i would stick ax1200i because you might add another gpu's to your system if you desire

and welcome  ^_^

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

i would stick ax1200i because you might add another gpu's to your system if you desire

and welcome  ^_^

The absolute only way he could use 1200 is if he went 4 way SLI. But I don't think he really has the means since adding a whole 3 more 780's is already a good chunk of the original build in terms of price so if he did(or she come to think of it, I don't know and sorry if the Oasis a female) then they would be looking at an entire system upgrade

I am good at computer

Spoiler

The absolute only way he could use 1200 is if he went 4 way SLI. But I don't think he really has the means since adding a whole 3 more 780's is already a good chunk of the original build in terms of price so if he did(or she come to think of it, I don't know and sorry if the Oasis a female) then they would be looking at an entire system upgrade

I really don't have a need for 4 video cards any, like you said, I might add another for sli, but that would be it.

I really don't have a need for 4 video cards any, like you said, I might add another for sli, but that would be it.

Yeah, that's fine. It's a solid build. And again, welcome to the LTT forum

I am good at computer

Spoiler

So you recommend something like ax860i or is that still too much?

Still too much. If you must go ax, the ax760i would do.

Otherwise, I would recommend getting a cheaper 850w bronze plus psu.

This is quite an expensive build and I believe you could knock down the price a lot. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Still too much. If you must go ax, the ax760i would do.

Otherwise, I would recommend getting a cheaper 850w bronze plus psu.

This is quite an expensive build and I believe you could knock down the price a lot.

Well I have no set budget, so it doesn't really matter to me, plus I rather have platinum rated PSU rather than a bronze