Windows 10 Update

Hello There,

I have a 120GB SSD and it has 30GB space remaining (It has Windows 8.1 Enterprise, Visual Studio, Office, 3ds MAX, Unity... etc ). I have windows update turned OFF. I want to turn on my updates to get Windows 10.

My Question is:

Can anyone tell me how to change default location of windows updates. Meaning from C: drive (SSD) to D: Drive (HDD).

Thanks,

Best Regards,

I think its generally not considered a good idea to have your OS scattered across drives (If that's what you're trying to do)

Don't forget to Like the things you like!

Well this might not be possible, if you have your Windows Operating System on the one drive, the update actually needs too update the os and that will require altering or adding files to your windows partition.

"We will build a firewall, the firewall will work, the firewall will be successful and if you don't think firewalls work all you have to do is ask Yahoo" 

you cant install updates to a different location, because updates install overtop of your old OS files.

and generally, they dont take up much space at all.

Can anyone tell me how to change default location of windows updates. Meaning from C: drive (SSD) to D: Drive (HDD).

Your Windows files are probably already on C:. You can't update files on D: that aren't there. You may need to shuffle some applications around instead.

It's very inadvisable to have Windows Update off entirely. You're missing important security updates.

you cant install updates to a different location, because updates install overtop of your old OS files.

and generally, they dont take up much space at all.

The updates kinda take a lot of space... few weeks back my SSD had 1.19GB of space remaining. I had the Updates turned ON. And I had to reinstall the OS.

Yup... Its a bad idea... you guys have a point.... and I just found a way to do this via "CMD" and NOW I am Not going to do this.... Thank you for your time.

I know budget and cost are an issue when it comes to ssds in a build, but I always kind of cringe when I see some one talking about getting a 120 gig or less ssd for the drive their operating system is going on. I really feel like 250 gig is about the minimum for a windows operating drive unless you want to shuffle applications all the time and watch the space constantly. I got a 500 gig ssd as my primary os drive so I wouldn't have to stress over space, all my big files still go on my 3tb or 1 tb hdds. 

"Science and technology revolutionize our lives, but memory, tradition and myth frame our response."

Arthur M. Schlesinger