Migrating from platter drive to ssd

Go to solution Solved by Sn4tchBandicoot,

Can't he just keep the HDD and also install the SSD and set it up into raid 0. If not, I would tell him to get the Blacx, Linus even reviewed it. 

He wants to replace the platter drive with a SSD so the Blacx is not really an option

So my roommate has had a SSD sitting on his desk for a good solid 6 months now, and he's been waiting to get his windows install swapped over to it.

Now we want to migrate the entire install over to the SSD once installed, what is the best option to get this done? We don't want to really have to reinstall anything since he is already well setup on the platter drive.

Is there a good cloning program out there that we can use or is the fate of a total reinstall inevitable?

Motherboard: MSI G45 | CPU: Intel i7 4790K | RAM: 16GB G.Skill DDR3 | SSD: 2x Samsung 840 Evo 256GB | Graphics: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW | PSU: Corsair HX650W | Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Fans: 6x Corsair SP120's | Case: NZXT H440 Razer Edition | OS: Windows 10

Macrium Reflect is probably the best. Worked for me.

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

So my roommate has had a SSD sitting on his desk for a good solid 6 months now, and he's been waiting to get his windows install swapped over to it.

Now we want to migrate the entire install over to the SSD once installed, what is the best option to get this done? We don't want to really have to reinstall anything since he is already well setup on the platter drive.

Is there a good cloning program out there that we can use or is the fate of a total reinstall inevitable?

Most manufacturers have their own cloning tools which usually are pretty good, you can also use partition wizard, just copy over the partitions and dont forget to set the bootflag

Can't he just keep the HDD and also install the SSD and set it up into raid 0. If not, I would tell him to get the Blacx, Linus even reviewed it. 

Intel Core i5 4590Gigabyte GA-970 Ax4 4GB DDR3 Crucial Balistix SportGigabyte Windforce GTX 970 | 3 TB of HDD | Enermax CoenusEVGA 500 Watt 80 Plus | Windows 10 | Razer Black Widow Tournament EditionLogitech G502 Proteus Core | Audio Technica M50x | Tonor BM 700 Nikon D3400 

CompTIA A+ Certified

He wants to replace the platter drive with a SSD so the Blacx is not really an option

Motherboard: MSI G45 | CPU: Intel i7 4790K | RAM: 16GB G.Skill DDR3 | SSD: 2x Samsung 840 Evo 256GB | Graphics: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW | PSU: Corsair HX650W | Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Fans: 6x Corsair SP120's | Case: NZXT H440 Razer Edition | OS: Windows 10

So I ended up using Hiren's Boot CD and loaded up Partition Magic, and did the copy. loaded into wondows about 20 min later and on my way.

Now the one thing I totally forgot to make sure of was that the current install was small enough to fit on the SSD, which it wsan't, so I had to remove a bunch of his games, otherwise it went off without a hitch.

No, I'm saying if he wants to get rid of the HDD, then buy that so he can transfer all of his files to the SSD when installed. 

Intel Core i5 4590Gigabyte GA-970 Ax4 4GB DDR3 Crucial Balistix SportGigabyte Windforce GTX 970 | 3 TB of HDD | Enermax CoenusEVGA 500 Watt 80 Plus | Windows 10 | Razer Black Widow Tournament EditionLogitech G502 Proteus Core | Audio Technica M50x | Tonor BM 700 Nikon D3400 

CompTIA A+ Certified

No, I'm saying if he wants to get rid of the HDD, then buy that so he can transfer all of his files to the SSD when installed. 

He didn't want to have to reinstall the system, he had over 150 Gigs of games, and rather than redownloading all of his infor and files for those and having to go through and get all his updates again we just wanted to image his install over to another drive, which we managed using Partition Wizard as was stated.

The SSD was bought as an OS drive and having a basically brand new 1TB platter drive he didn't want to just toss it out or not use it.

He also has a case with a drive dock on top so the need for a hard drive dock is not needed.