Witcher 3 Random Crash

Shaan5

I was playing the Witcher 3 and then randomly out of nowhere the screen turns Green and I get put back on the desktop with the game still running in the background, at this point I was a few hours into the game and had encountered no issues. I was however running my GPU overclocked but it was an Overclock that I had not encountered many issues with. While on the desktop, The game was still running in the back and eventually I hit ESC and the game just closed

My System consists of an i5 4690k at stock, 8GB of DDR3 and A G1 GTX 970 GPU

Any Ideas.

EDIT: In my Event log, It says my Display Driver crashed but has recovered

Case: Define R5 I GPU: G1 GTX 970 I CPU: i5 4690k I RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X I PSU:  EVGA 750B2 I Cooler: Noctua NH D15 

MB: ASUS Z97-A I SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB I HDD: WD Black 1TB

It might just be the odd crash.

Nothing to be concerned about unless it's persistent.

Sig under construction.

I Heard rolling back can help, I'm going to keep playing and if it happens again then I'll reinstall drivers 

Case: Define R5 I GPU: G1 GTX 970 I CPU: i5 4690k I RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X I PSU:  EVGA 750B2 I Cooler: Noctua NH D15 

Even if youve never had a problem with your gpu's overclock you need to turn it down. Ive had my 770 at the same clock for over a year and have never had the problem until now but that was my fix. once I found a stable clock I havent crashed since. Its an amazing game nonetheless.

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

Even if youve never had a problem with your gpu's overclock you need to turn it down. Ive had my 770 at the same clock for over a year and have never had the problem until now but that was my fix. once I found a stable clock I havent crashed since. Its an amazing game nonetheless.

Is it possible for certain games to respond better to GPU overclocks than others, this OC Was stable in Everything with the exception of TW3, I reverted the card to stock and had no Crash, I'm going to reapply the OC But tone it down a bit and see if it helps at all

It's kind of like a hiccup. Gpus will inevitably do it all the time and if the game allows it then it will seamlessly recover and you continue to play without ever knowing it. Meanwhile Witcher crashes every time. I played the first 3 nights crashing every 10 minutes until I found this fix.

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

Is it possible for certain games to respond better to GPU overclocks than others, this OC Was stable in Everything with the exception of TW3, I reverted the card to stock and had no Crash, I'm going to reapply the OC But tone it down a bit and see if it helps at all

Then its not 100% stable. If your game is crashing then due to overclock its either two issues which are heat or bad overclock. Every game is different as they are optimized differently. Witcher 3 is optimized well so it makes your GPU do a lot of work which can cause a lot of stress to the GPU which can help you relise how bad your overclock was.

Here is an example. Lets say Linustechtips made a game called "potato killer" and which was terribly optimized (if they did ever make a game it wont be badly optimized, its just an example) and it only used 20% of the gpu. It wouldnt really cause a high stress to your GPU. So lets say you did a big overclock and use potato killer to check if your GPU was stable it would show no crashed as the game doesnt really take advantage of your GPU.

Slick:

I don't care if you are right or wrong... someone will come around and correct you if you are wrong. What people need to realize is that we need to step up as a community and get above the pathetic fights and bickering. Share knowledge, be friendly, enjoy your stay.

He also forgot to mention if you dont know about the topic then dont make stuff up. Dont claim fake or assume things just by reading the title, Read the post. It doesnt matter if you made 3,000 as it could be mostly crap...

@Shaan5 - you're not alone man. I've been experiencing a similar issue and have been scouring the web for answers to no avail.

While playing The Witch 3, my screen will lock up with a whole bunch of green dots everywhere. Some times it'll unlock and resume and I'll get the Nvidia driver stopped working message and other times I get the BSOD...

I've read everything and tried everything to fix this issue. 

• completely removed (in safe mode) my Nvidia drivers, GeForce Experience, etc and installed the brand new drivers released last night (v353.06) and older versions, etc...
  • bought a brand new psu (Corsair ax860i)
  • turned up power option in GeForce experience to full
  • deleted all fan/temperature monitoring software and ran only one at a time
  • the list goes on...

I'm not sure if it's a software issue anymore because my screen locked up with the green dots while watching Youtube a couple times as well. However, this all happened only after I installed the Witcher 3 on the weekend (May 30th, 2015). I previously had no problems with Star Citizen, Elite Dangerious, TESO, etc. (but I haven't tried them since - I'll 'em up tonight).

I've read that Nvidia Hair Effects can cause problems with ATI cards (which is not an issue for my GTX) but I turned it off anyway just to improve performance.

*** Anyone know how to diagnose a bad GPU or motherboard? (each separately if you don't mind) ***

System specs

• i7 4790k
  • Asus GTX 980 Strix
  • Asus VII Gene (micro ATX)
  • Brand spanking new Corsair ax860i (tons of power overhead for my build. problem existed before psu upgrade)
  • Corsair Vengeance 4x4GB
  • an SSD and HDD

* Nothing overclocked. Everything stock.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K | Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Gene Sound: SupremeFX Impact II | RAM: 4 x Crucial Vengence 4GB 2133MHz | GPU: Asus GTX980 Strix | Case: Corsair 350D (all Corsair AF/SP fans) | HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Blue | SSD: 256GB Crucial MX100 | Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series™ H100i | PSU: Corsair ax860i | OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit | Mouse: Mad Catz R.A.T.5 | Keyboard: Sidewinder  x4 | Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster S24A650S | Headphones: Steelseries Siberia v2

bueller

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K | Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Gene Sound: SupremeFX Impact II | RAM: 4 x Crucial Vengence 4GB 2133MHz | GPU: Asus GTX980 Strix | Case: Corsair 350D (all Corsair AF/SP fans) | HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Blue | SSD: 256GB Crucial MX100 | Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series™ H100i | PSU: Corsair ax860i | OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit | Mouse: Mad Catz R.A.T.5 | Keyboard: Sidewinder  x4 | Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster S24A650S | Headphones: Steelseries Siberia v2

@Shaan5 - you're not alone man. I've been experiencing a similar issue and have been scouring the web for answers to no avail.

While playing The Witch 3, my screen will lock up with a whole bunch of green dots everywhere. Some times it'll unlock and resume and I'll get the Nvidia driver stopped working message and other times I get the BSOD...

I've read everything and tried everything to fix this issue. 

• completely removed (in safe mode) my Nvidia drivers, GeForce Experience, etc and installed the brand new drivers released last night (v353.06) and older versions, etc...
  • bought a brand new psu (Corsair ax860i)
  • turned up power option in GeForce experience to full
  • deleted all fan/temperature monitoring software and ran only one at a time
  • the list goes on...

I'm not sure if it's a software issue anymore because my screen locked up with the green dots while watching Youtube a couple times as well. However, this all happened only after I installed the Witcher 3 on the weekend (May 30th, 2015). I previously had no problems with Star Citizen, Elite Dangerious, TESO, etc. (but I haven't tried them since - I'll 'em up tonight).

I've read that Nvidia Hair Effects can cause problems with ATI cards (which is not an issue for my GTX) but I turned it off anyway just to improve performance.

*** Anyone know how to diagnose a bad GPU or motherboard? (each separately if you don't mind) ***

Damn, I don't know. You should make a new thread about this if you haven't already. This seems like a pretty big issue if your getting BSOD

@Shaan5 - thanks bud. Looks like it wasn't the game after all. Think my GPU was defective. I did the whole song and dance with the ASUS RMA process last night. It wasn't as bad as the forums say, but I haven't received my new GPU yet... so we'll see.

Just in case people need to contact the "escalation mailbox" at ASUS, which can't be found by simply web-searching, go to http://www.tinyurl.com/escalation1

I had one random crash since launch day, and it was last night. Randomly the screen went back and just closed out. I'm not worried though if it was just one time. 

Black/Red Beast: CPU: i7 4790k Cooling: Hyper 212 Evo MB: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 GPU: MSI GTX 980 RAM: 16GB 1866 HyperFury X SSD: 256GB Samsung Evo 840