Laptop with SSD lagging after a period of time

exousia7

As the title says, I'm currently using an ASUS S301LP laptop with an Intel 530 120GB SSD installed. I bought this laptop last year on December, and the SSD was installed almost immediately after the purchase of the laptop. Since then the use experience was smooth until recently.

After a period of time of using the laptop it would suddenly start lagging. Typing, opening windows, playing games, and even the task manager freezes for minutes upon opening it. I formatted my laptop and installed all the latest drivers from the official ASUS website and updated to the latest windows updates, and the problem persisted. It gets better when I restart the laptop, but after a while of use (say roughly around 1~1 and half hours) the laptop will start lagging again.

As I am typing this post I'm attempting to chat with people on skype, and it's sluggishly slow when I alt-tab and type out the messages. How do I go on to fix this problem?

Thanks.

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 | CM Hyper 212 Evo | MSI ZH77A-G43 | HyperX Fury DDR3 8GBx2 | MSI GTX 1060 GAMING X 3GB

Lian-Li PC-A05FN | SanDisk Ultra II 240GB | WD 1TB Blue | Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 550W | ASUS MG248Q

Cherry G80-3000 (blue) | Ducky 9008 Shine 2 (black/blue LED) | Ducky 9087 Shine 2 Year of the Dragon (brown/yellow LED)

Ducky Mini Year of the Horse (white/blue+red LED) | Steelseries 6Gv2 (black) | Leopold FC660M (red) | Vortex Race 3 (blue)

Logitech G400s | Razer Abyssus Mirror Edition | Razer Goliathus Speed

Steelseries Sensei RAW | SteelSeries Qck | Zowie EC1-ASteelseries Qck+ Fnatic edition

Dust buildup over time makes the already limited cooling, worse. By somewhat blocking the airflow thats needed to cool your parts.

I believe your thermal throttling (CPU declocks when too hot) and this is why performance is low in all areas.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Dust buildup over time makes the already limited cooling, worse. By somewhat blocking the airflow thats needed to cool your parts.

I believe your thermal throttling (CPU declocks when too hot) and this is why performance is low in all areas.

I've kept track of my laptop's temperature constantly, and it does not get any hotter. The temperature is pretty much constant as it goes from normal -> lag.

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 | CM Hyper 212 Evo | MSI ZH77A-G43 | HyperX Fury DDR3 8GBx2 | MSI GTX 1060 GAMING X 3GB

Lian-Li PC-A05FN | SanDisk Ultra II 240GB | WD 1TB Blue | Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 550W | ASUS MG248Q

Cherry G80-3000 (blue) | Ducky 9008 Shine 2 (black/blue LED) | Ducky 9087 Shine 2 Year of the Dragon (brown/yellow LED)

Ducky Mini Year of the Horse (white/blue+red LED) | Steelseries 6Gv2 (black) | Leopold FC660M (red) | Vortex Race 3 (blue)

Steelseries Sensei RAW | SteelSeries Qck | Zowie EC1-ASteelseries Qck+ Fnatic edition

I've kept track of my laptop's temperature constantly, and it does not get any hotter. The temperature is pretty much constant as it goes from normal -> lag.

Maybe the SSD is now faulty..

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Maybe the SSD is now faulty..

That's what I was thinking too. I used Intel SSD Toolbox software, and it said its health and stuff are all 100%. Is there another program I can use to confirm the state of my SSD?

That's what I was thinking too. I used Intel SSD Toolbox software, and it said its health and stuff are all 100%. Is there another program I can use to confirm the state of my SSD?

Pretty sure most of those programs all do the same thing, reading the Smart data...

I've not had to search for one so I dunno..

So I just restarted my laptop, it hasn't even been 10 minutes and it's already lagging.....

I would check for unwanted processes running in the background. This doesn't sound like an SSD problem to me.

So I just restarted my laptop, it hasn't even been 10 minutes and it's already lagging.....

Monitor disk usage while running various things... (Using Resource Monitor)

Maybe it's 100% thrashing leaving nothing for anything else.

Monitor disk usage while running various things... (Using Resource Monitor)

Maybe it's 100% thrashing leaving nothing for anything else.

I'll keep a look out for this. I just restarted my laptop again so it's not lagging anymore (for now).

Thanks for the responses.