"Display Driver Crashed and has recovered" accompanied by this...

AnonGuyy
Go to solution Solved by Abuser,

I have tried re-downloading the file 3 times.  3:

This is what happens when I try to extract the .zip file:

b6637dcf326e1dadf39ca252dc9ec7d6.png

Yes, I do!

This is a screenshot of the receipt that includes the GPU:

1187f132c89c4a995ac96424a160312a.png

I uploaded the Exact BIOS to Dropbox for you since you're having problems.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/r36idnas8i1ed5z/AAAJT0YcpDWZ5R6NIGonb8dSa?dl=0

Download the one that you NEED. Remember in @BIOS it will tell you which version. Either DD or DP.

I built my computer a while back (around 1 year ago), and this has only started happening recently (a month or so).  Sorry I can't be more precise with the times, but still..

Every now and again, I'll get a black screen, everything comes back and this message "Display Driver Crashed and has recovered".  Initially, it was only happening when I was trying to Stream "The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt" on my channel, so I thought maybe it was just a thing with trying to do that.  I stopped doing that, and everything was fine.

The thing is, it just happened now.  While I was browsing imgur.

This time, I got a "Windows has detected your system is running slowly" or w/e message.

14e9dbaa68a430d2b6ad9cbdbb61195c.png

Windows...  What the hell are you talking about?

Specs:

• CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K @ 3.50GHz (Haswell 22nm Technology)
  • RAM: 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 801MHz (9-9-9-24)
  • MB: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. SABERTOOTH Z87 (SOCKET 1150)
  • Graphics: BenQ RL2455 (1920x1080@60Hz) x2
  • GPU: 4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 (Gigabyte)
  • HDD: 2TB Seagate 7200RPM

Also, I installed Speccy to get that stuff and everything froze so I had the CTRL+ALT+DEL and this happened...  >_>

c63bacfb98b907180130510a9ffdd32c.png

Also, idk if it matters, but my GPU is always ~100°F.  :L

~~~ so pro ~~~

um, what is your GPU usage at idle?

if its always that hot then you probably have a miner virus

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

What BIOS version do you have for your Gigabyte 980? I had the same artifacting every know and then and I had to update my BIOS to fix it. To find the BIOS version use Gigabytes @BIOS application.

um, what is your GPU usage at idle?

if its always that hot then you probably have a miner virus

Idk, it just seems no matter what I do, my temps are forever inbetween 38-43 C (MSI Afterburner, No overclocks on anything.  Just have it to see temps.)  :L

I'll do a scan with Malwarebytes and MSE, if that doesn't find anything, I'll get Avast and scan with that as well.

What BIOS version do you have for your Gigabyte 980? I had the same artifacting every know and then and I had to update my BIOS to fix it. To find the BIOS version use Gigabytes @BIOS application.

I searched for "Gigabytes @BIOS application" and dl'd a 7-zip archive that extracted an install, but when I tried to install it it just tells me some kind of .dll error happened.

"Error Number: 0x80040707

Description: DLL function call crashed: CheckFK.SearchBIOSStr

Setup will now terminate."

Edit > Through a CMD I found (" wmic bios get smbiosbiosversion "), I'm returned with this:

SMBIOSBIOSVersion

Thank you for the quick replies, hopefully we get down to the bottom of this...

~~~ so pro ~~~

Idk, it just seems no matter what I do, my temps are forever inbetween 38-43 C (MSI Afterburner, No overclocks on anything.  Just have it to see temps.)  :L

I'll do a scan with Malwarebytes and MSE, if that doesn't find anything, I'll get Avast and scan with that as well.

I searched for "Gigabytes @BIOS application" and dl'd a 7-zip archive that extracted an install, but when I tried to install it it just tells me some kind of .dll error happened.

"Error Number: 0x80040707

Description: DLL function call crashed: CheckFK.SearchBIOSStr

Setup will now terminate."

Edit > Through a CMD I found (" wmic bios get smbiosbiosversion "), I'm returned with this:

SMBIOSBIOSVersion

Thank you for the quick replies, hopefully we get down to the bottom of this...

Try restarting your PC and run @BIOS as admin

Try restarting your PC and run @BIOS as admin

Restarted my computer, and tried to run the setup in administrative mode.  Same thing happened.  :(

Tbh, I'm not really sure what @BIOS is..  This is the page where I got mine from: http://www.gigabyte.us/support-downloads/Utility.aspx

There's quiet a few @BIOS's on there, I'm not quite sure which one to get.

~~~ so pro ~~~

Restarted my computer, and tried to run the setup in administrative mode.  Same thing happened.   :(

Tbh, I'm not really sure what @BIOS is..  This is the page where I got mine from: http://www.gigabyte.us/support-downloads/Utility.aspx

There's quiet a few @BIOS's on there, I'm not quite sure which one to get.

http://www.gigabyte.us/products/list.aspx?s=43&p=52,53@53,62&v=1,8@1,29#1%3B52%2C53%4053%2C54%7C1%2C8%401%2C268

Select your exact 980 then go to support/downloads and then select Utility. I also recommend downloading OC GURU to find out what exact BIOS you can update too if you need to. In OC Guru select Online Support then BIOS and click next, next, and it will tell you if there is a update for your BIOS.

http://www.gigabyte.us/products/list.aspx?s=43&p=52,53@53,62&v=1,8@1,29#1%3B52%2C53%4053%2C54%7C1%2C8%401%2C268

Select your exact 980 then go to support/downloads and then select Utility. I also recommend downloading OC GURU to find out what exact BIOS you can update too if you need to. In OC Guru select Online Support then BIOS and click next, next, and it will tell you if there is a update for your BIOS.

I got the Guru and @BIOS.  When I looked for an update through Guru, it showed me one entry and I downloaded it.  When I open @BIOS, it just gives me options to Backup and flash.  Do I click Flash and select the .zip that Guru downloaded?

~~~ so pro ~~~

I got the Guru and @BIOS.  When I looked for an update through Guru, it showed me one entry and I downloaded it.  When I open @BIOS, it just gives me options to Backup and flash.  Do I click Flash and select the .zip that Guru downloaded?

Backup first. Always. Now on @BIOS flash and select the BIOS you downloaded. If it downloaded two versions(DP, DD) select the one that is shown on @BIOS BIOS version. 

JleUDOE.png

ONLY if your GPU has dual BIOS. If not then ignore that and flash.

Backup first. Always. Now on @BIOS flash and select the BIOS you downloaded. If it downloaded two versions(DP, DD) select the one that is shown on @BIOS BIOS version. 

JleUDOE.png

ONLY if your GPU has dual BIOS. If not then ignore that and flash.

Hey, the .zip is giving me an Error as well as @BIOS saying "Flash BIOS failed! ErrCode=0x2000000E".

6633fc05352aef17d6b02a0b02ab757a.png

~~~ so pro ~~~

Hey, the .zip is giving me an Error as well as @BIOS saying "Flash BIOS failed! ErrCode=0x2000000E".

6633fc05352aef17d6b02a0b02ab757a.png

can you extract the zip file it downloaded? Try and re-download it? Do you have the Gigabyte G1 980?

can you extract the zip file it downloaded? Try and re-download it? Do you have the Gigabyte G1 980?

Yes, I do!

~~~ so pro ~~~

Yes, I do!

Download the one that you NEED. Remember in @BIOS it will tell you which version. Either DD or DP.

Alright, @BIOS now says I'm on .F3!  I used DD because that's what it said previously.  Well, let's hope this solves my issues...  I'm not really all too computer savvy, but I know a little.  :)

Anyways, I don't know why it wouldn't extract the .zip files..  That was weird.  But, thank you @Abuser for the help and especially for uploading the files I needed.  :)  I'll be sure to PM you in the future if the issue arises again.  Hopefully it doesn't!

~~~ so pro ~~~

Alright, @BIOS now says I'm on .F3! I used DD because that's what it said previously. Well, let's hope this solves my issues... I'm not really all too computer savvy, but I know a little. :)

Anyways, I don't know why it wouldn't extract the .zip files.. That was weird. But, thank you @Abuser for the help and especially for uploading the files I needed. :) I'll be sure to PM you in the future if the issue arises again. Hopefully it doesn't!

No problem :) Yes the BIOS update helped my artifacting problem I had. like you showed in the 2nd pic. Also if your display driver keeps crashing it can be the driver it self. I've seen people post on vaious forums about the current latest nvidia drivers crashing randomly. Some people rolledback to the GTAV drivers or even the version before that.