PSUs and older GPU power requirement clarification needed

DevilishBooster

I have an older workstation PC with a Pentium 4 that I have ruuning F@H 24/7 and I wanted to bump up its capacity a little bit with a CUDA graphics card. From what I can find online, the PSU is rated at 175W and I can't seem to find a PSU that fits in the system with a higher wattage. I have found some older CUDA cards that can fit in the system, but they ALL say "300W PSU needed". Here are my questions:

1) Do they all say "300W PSU needed" because that was just the general "catch-all" power rating for graphics cards back then?

and

2) If I did put one of these cards in the system, would the PSU burn out really fast or would the GPU just not perform to its maximum potential? If it will burn out the PSU, then I'm just going to give up looking. If it just means that the GPU won't be able to work at 100%, then I might still get one to put in since they are on Ebay for pretty cheap.

Thanks in advance for explaining.

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

what cards?

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

What kind of CUDA card is it, and what kind of P4 is it? If the PSU can really supply 175W, it may be fine.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

what cards?

What kind of CUDA card is it, and what kind of P4 is it? If the PSU can really supply 175W, it may be fine.

What PSU and CUDA card specifically?

These are the two cards I'm looking at:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231574420975?_trksid=p2060353.m2763.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321761127891?_trksid=p2060353.m2763.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It's a Pentium 4 2.4 GHz. I don't have the exact model number on hand because I forgot to write it down when I was cleaning the system right after I got it. The machine itself is a Compaq Evo D510 (aka the HP D51S).

END OF LINE

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

These are the two cards I'm looking at:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231574420975?_trksid=p2060353.m2763.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321761127891?_trksid=p2060353.m2763.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It's a Pentium 4 2.4 GHz. I don't have the exact model number on hand because I forgot to write it down when I was cleaning the system right after I got it. The machine itself is a Compaq Evo D510 (aka the HP D51S).

You should be fine as those GPUs barely draw any power, but for a 175W PSU I'd still go for the 8400GS due to lower power consumption then the 9400GT.

"Rawr XD"

You should be fine as those GPUs barely draw any power, but for a 175W PSU I'd still go for the 8400GS due to lower power consumption then the 9400GT.

Awesome! Thanks! :)

I'm going to try to talk him down with a "best offer".

END OF LINE

Related question. For the 8400GS, that is a PCI interface card and not a PCIe, correct? I still have trouble remembering how to tell the difference sometimes, if I don't have a referrence to look at.

END OF LINE

Related question. For the 8400GS, that is a PCI interface card and not a PCIe, correct? I still have trouble remembering how to tell the difference sometimes, if I don't have a referrence to look at.

Yes, it's a PCI. From what I can tell your PC uses PCI and AGP... pretty old lol

"Rawr XD"

Yes, it's a PCI. From what I can tell your PC uses PCI and AGP... pretty old lol

Yeah, it is, but I got it for free and everything works just fine.  :)  I was trying to find a AGP card to use, but I can't seem to find any low profile single slot AGP cards. :(

I sent an offer of $20 for the 8400GS, so we'll see what he says. Thanks again for all the help!

END OF LINE

I'm kinda glad the one guy turned down my offer for the 8400GS, because I found this today.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171799023949?_trksid=p2045573.m570.l4455&_trkparms=gh1g%3DI171799023949.N7.S1.M1412.R2.TR9

I'm just waiting to hear back from the seller confirming that they are PCI and not PCIe. 5 GPUs for $25? Hell yes!

END OF LINE

I'm kinda glad the one guy turned down my offer for the 8400GS, because I found this today.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171799023949?_trksid=p2045573.m570.l4455&_trkparms=gh1g%3DI171799023949.N7.S1.M1412.R2.TR9

I'm just waiting to hear back from the seller confirming that they are PCI and not PCIe. 5 GPUs for $25? Hell yes!

Those are PCIe.

"Rawr XD"

Those are PCIe.

That's what the box says in the picture, but the all-knowing Google says that Nvidia did realease a 8400GS PCI Edition. The same seller also has a Jaton 8400GS PCIe card listed, so that's why I messaged them asking for clarification. If they are actually the PCI Edition and not PCIe, then I think I'm going to snatch them up.

END OF LINE