2gb vs 4gb @1080p Gaming

HTPC is also a loose term for media streaming/gaming machine

The distinction was necessary: getting a GTX 960 for streaming when the iGPU on a Haswell Pentium is sufficient doesn't make sense.

280X or 290 if you can,

My GTX 760 has everything on High-Medium for GTA5 except Texture quality which has to stay at normal. You need more than 2GB if you're planning to play GTA5 with eye-candy.

That being said, if you are the kind of person that just wants to play and not worry about quality then grab the 960, however you might need to upgrade in the VERY near future though because games will only be getting more demanding as time progresses.

Blood-Box (Current) - 4790K @ 4.4GHz 1.175v | MSI Z97M GamingMSI R9 290 TF | 16GB ADATA XPG v1.0 CL9 | patiently waiting on the CoolerMaster MasterCase Pro 3 | Corsair RM650 | Noctua NH-U12S | OCZ Vertex 460 240GB SSD | Seagate 2TB HDD

Feishi (Gift to my bro) - 4770K @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte Z87 UD5H | Gigabyte GTX 760 WFx3 2.0 | 16GB Patriot Viper 3 CL9 | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Corsair AX750 | Noctua NH-C14 | Seagate 2TB HDD

280X or 290 if you can,

My GTX 760 has everything on High-Medium for GTA5 except Texture quality which has to stay at normal. You need more than 2GB if you're planning to play GTA5 with eye-candy.

That being said, if you are the kind of person that just wants to play and not worry about quality then grab the 960, however you might need to upgrade in the VERY near future though because games will only be getting more demanding as time progresses.

I must admit, I find this criticism a bit weird. Like... if you want lots of eye-candy then obviously you're going to want something more than a 760 or 960? The 960's launch price was the same as the 750 Ti. The 290 is, for the next few days at least, the second most powerful GPU that AMD have to offer -- obviously it's going to outclass the low-mid range offering from Nvidia?

I must admit, I find this criticism a bit weird. Like... if you want lots of eye-candy then obviously you're going to want something more than a 760 or 960? The 960's launch price was the same as the 750 Ti. The 290 is, for the next few days at least, the second most powerful GPU that AMD have to offer -- obviously it's going to outclass the low-mid range offering from Nvidia?

Yea, I had the 760 long before GTA5 and the 960, and it ran most games on max or near max settings 1080p without a problem because the card had enough grunt to get by.

I'm just letting strix be aware of the limitations of those 2GB of vram in relation to GTA 5.

Blood-Box (Current) - 4790K @ 4.4GHz 1.175v | MSI Z97M GamingMSI R9 290 TF | 16GB ADATA XPG v1.0 CL9 | patiently waiting on the CoolerMaster MasterCase Pro 3 | Corsair RM650 | Noctua NH-U12S | OCZ Vertex 460 240GB SSD | Seagate 2TB HDD

Feishi (Gift to my bro) - 4770K @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte Z87 UD5H | Gigabyte GTX 760 WFx3 2.0 | 16GB Patriot Viper 3 CL9 | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Corsair AX750 | Noctua NH-C14 | Seagate 2TB HDD

Yea, I had the 760 long before GTA5 and the 960, and it ran most games on max or near max settings 1080p without a problem because the card had enough grunt to get by.

I'm just letting strix be aware of the limitations of those 2GB of vram in relation to GTA 5.

Which leads me onto another thing that I don't understand. Sorry for using you as a proxy for this, but you're bringing up a lot of things that people bring up a lot :P

Just because a game has settings that go crazy, I don't see why people have to use them on low end, budget hardware. For ages I, and others, have been complaining that buying high end stuff doesn't really get you anything. Like you said, you've been gaming on max on a 760 for ages, what exactly would someone who spent twice as much as you on a 780 Ti have gotten besides a higher res or high refresh monitor? What about someone who got a couple of Titans?

I think people are trying to have it both ways: game devs are starting to scale games up far more drastically which, imo, is fantastic for people who have always bought enthusiast grade stuff, but simultaneously people are demanding these games run at ultra on 750 Ti priced hardware.

Which do you want, because to me it's quite obvious that you can't have both. Personally I would rather have settings that go way higher than any current gen tech can handle and scales down well to cards that most people actually have. But as devs start to do stuff like that, suddenly high end cards like the 980 and 290X are considered mid-tier because they can't run games at "ultra" (whatever that even means, when it comes down to it).