MXL 990 vs AT2020 (Both XLR)

ItsKolapo

I have listened to videos and read all the specs on their pages. I just don't understand any of the specs, so I don't know which will be less sensitive to my keyboard.

They have the same pickup pattern, so theoretically, at the same level of gain, in the same position, they'll pick up your keyboard equally. What you can play with is the position on your desk. Where is your keyboard now? (top of the desk, underneath on a tray, etc... Where do you plan on putting the mic?) Is it mechanical (thus, loud)?

If you choose to use the shockmount, which you really should, I don't think either mic will come with a stand, so you might want to look into a boom arm for your desk. This would definitely help with keyboard noise, as you'll have a lot more mic positions to play around with. But then, the closer the mic gets to your mouth, or rather the stream of air that comes out of your mouth, the more plosives you'll be picking up without a windscreen or pop filter. But now we're talking about additional cost for an arm, shockmount (in the at2020's case), pop filter, and I assume you have an XLR cable, and interface capable of powering the mic?

Unfortunately, keyboard noise from your keyboard, on your desk, in your room, using your equipment isn't something you can really know unless you test it for yourself.

tldr: honestly just pick one, there isn't a wrong choice, other variables (vibrations, plosives, etc..) can be fixed later with the few extra things I've mentioned.

CPU  5820k - 4.0GHz @ 1.27V  |  MOBO X99-Pro  |  RAM 16GB Ballistic @ 2133MHz  |  PSU HX750i 

COOLING  Kraken X61 - 6x NF-A14 iPPC  |  DRIVES  256GB 950 Pro - 2x 1TB Travelstar - 1x 1TB WD Black

GPU  EVGA GTX980 SC |  CASE  R5  |  OS  Win 8.1 Pro  |  MISC   Cablemod C-Series White Set

They have the same pickup pattern, so theoretically, at the same level of gain, in the same position, they'll pick up your keyboard equally. What you can play with is the position on your desk. Where is your keyboard now? (top of the desk, underneath on a tray, etc... Where do you plan on putting the mic?) Is it mechanical (thus, loud)?

If you choose to use the shockmount, which you really should, I don't think either mic will come with a stand, so you might want to look into a boom arm for your desk. This would definitely help with keyboard noise, as you'll have a lot more mic positions to play around with. But then, the closer the mic gets to your mouth, or rather the stream of air that comes out of your mouth, the more plosives you'll be picking up without a windscreen or pop filter. But now we're talking about additional cost for an arm, shockmount (in the at2020's case), pop filter, and I assume you have an XLR cable, and interface capable of powering the mic?

Unfortunately, keyboard noise from your keyboard, on your desk, in your room, using your equipment isn't something you can really know unless you test it for yourself.

tldr: honestly just pick one, there isn't a wrong choice, other variables (vibrations, plosives, etc..) can be fixed later with the few extra things I've mentioned.

I plan on getting the arm, foam windscreen, audio interface, and a shockmount. Which would you buy if you were getting one?

Does one have just the slightest thing over the other?

If I go with the AT2020 It will be 205.24 if I go with the MXL 990 it will be 181.20. You said you have both, but you prefer the at2020, is it worth the extra 24 dollars?