The new MacBook performs better with Windows 10

T3STY

Just to make sure we keep up the fire on the controversial new MacBook from Apple (for that 1 port only story... you know...), I will throw some gasoline on it.

According to Alex King, the performance penalties that the new MacBook suffers from, including the UI not being very fluid, might actually be a Yosemite issue.
Alex tested the new MacBook with Windows 10 via Bootcamp and he claims he could achieve way better performance and fluidity.

Here's the real kicker: it's fast. It's smooth. It renders at 60FPS unless you have a lot going on. It's unequivocally better than performance on OS X, further leading me to believe that Apple really needs to overhaul how animations are done. Even when I turn Transparency off in OS X, Mission Control isn't completely smooth. Here, even after some Aero Glass transparency has been added in, everything is smooth. It's remarkable, and it makes me believe in the 12-inch MacBook more than ever before.

That's not to say you should switch to Windows on your MacBook if you own one. Alex pointed out that:

Overall, UI speed is only one metric of speed, and articles claiming that I found Windows 10 to be faster than OS X are missing the point. My initial impressions of Windows 10 were very good, and for those who are able to test both operating systems themselves, it should be evident that Windows 10 appears to have a higher tolerance for smooth UI transitions than OS X does.

which basically means, don't judge a book by it's cover. Or, it might also mean, Apple do the right thing and kick some performance out of this product :)

Original article from Alex King's blog:
http://www.alexvking.com/12_inch_macbook_and_windows_10.html

Two different OSes with completely different graphics drivers / graphics engines can't be compared by 'I installed Windows and animations were smoother'

including the UI not being very fluid, might actually be a Yosemite issue.

I just love how my latest MBA has keyboard lag.  No, I did not make a typo.  I wrote "keyboard".  What i mean is that I'll type on the keyboard and i will get a massive lag at times, and then 10 characters will blurt on the screen at once.

Or how about Xcode with the warnings list.  No, I don't typically write code with warnings, but due to different compilers and warning levels, a lot of open-source software such as zlib, libpng, etc. will yield harmless warnings.  After about 30 (not 10,000, i mean just 30), the list will lag and stutter until I can reach the bottom and read the real compiler errors.  In case you are wondering, I must use a Mac for iOS development as a contract programmer.

So yea, as you make the post "Windows 10" is better, I will believe it because nothing can run worse than what I experience with OS X.  I don't even care that a MBA has a weaker processor, but come on... it's not like it is a processor from 2003.  It is an Intel i5 within the past couple of years.  Keyboard lag-outs?  A mobile Core i5 is NOT that terrible.  It is clearly the terrible OS.

I just love how my latest MBA has keyboard lag.  No, I did not make a typo.  I wrote "keyboard".  What i mean is that I'll type on the keyboard and i will get a massive lag at times, and then 10 characters will blurt on the screen at once.

Or how about Xcode with the warnings list.  No, I don't typically write code with warnings, but due to different compilers and warning levels, a lot of open-source software such as zlib, libpng, etc. will yield harmless warnings.  After about 30 (not 10,000, i mean just 30), the list will lag and stutter until I can reach the bottom and read the real compiler errors.  In case you are wondering, I must use a Mac for iOS development as a contract programmer.

So yea, as you make the post "Windows 10" is better, I will believe it because nothing can run worse than what I experience with OS X.  I don't even care that a MBA has a weaker processor, but come on... it's not like it is a processor from 2003.  It is an Intel i5 within the past couple of years.  Keyboard lag-outs?  A mobile Core i5 is NOT that terrible.  It is clearly the terrible OS.

yeah, 100% not the processor. My 2-in-1 with a quad core Pentium Bay Trail, never lagged while typing

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

yeah, 100% not the processor. My 2-in-1 with a quad core Pentium Bay Trail, never lagged while typing

Indeed.  I should also clarify it is not a hardware problem.  It is definitely software (i.e. the OS).  It's as though a lot of the resources for the OS get unloaded or cached to disk after a long period of inactivity or sleep mode.  Then again, the SSD on this is a PCI-e and gives over 700 MB/s both read and write.  Albiet this laptop is an ultrabook, it is still faster than desktop PC's going back to early 2000's.  Not a single person ever complained of keyboard input lag or stutter in Windows XP.  Ever.

Nor Windows 3.1 on a 386, if we want to get drastic.

You're right... sorry for that. I was searching the news manually and I probably didn't seen that. Thanks for heads up and my apologies to the original poster in that thread.