Outdoor Ethernet And 10GB/S Switch

Hello, I have two question but for the same project. The first is is there a switch that has just one CAT6a port for 10 GB/S speeds but all the rest just normal GB/S. Also is there a correct way to run underground Ethernet. This is for an outdoor office and so the CAT6a 100M capabilities are required. Thank-You.

My System now I5 4670k ,H100i, Z87X-D3H, 8GB of Black Muramba, 7970 Sapphire with backplate , Thermaltake chaser A31 black with blue accents ,AX 760 With Blue Cabels, Samsung 840 120gb SSD ,1TB Black ,256 Ultra Plus SanDisk

This page (http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/cablingcat5/f/cat5outdoors.htm) suggests using PVC pipe as a conduit. I've also used standard garden hoses. You can also get "direct burial" ethernet cables, though for a ~100M run of Cat6A you might have to buy a drum/reel of cable and crimp the ends yourself. 

How to create a strong password

Size does not matter; it's how you use it

This page (http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/cablingcat5/f/cat5outdoors.htm) suggests using PVC pipe as a conduit. I've also used standard garden hoses. You can also get "direct burial" ethernet cables, though for a ~100M run of Cat6A you might have to buy a drum/reel of cable and crimp the ends yourself. 

Thank-You I have done some custom runs already and so have the tools required thank-you. 

My System now I5 4670k ,H100i, Z87X-D3H, 8GB of Black Muramba, 7970 Sapphire with backplate , Thermaltake chaser A31 black with blue accents ,AX 760 With Blue Cabels, Samsung 840 120gb SSD ,1TB Black ,256 Ultra Plus SanDisk

Hello, I have two question but for the same project. The first is is there a switch that has just one CAT6a port for 10 GB/S speeds but all the rest just normal GB/S. Also is there a correct way to run underground Ethernet. This is for an outdoor office and so the CAT6a 100M capabilities are required. Thank-You.

@dom1310df's suggestion of PVC piping is probably the best course of action. Please note that you should check local regulations on digging holes in the ground. You don't want to accidentally slice through a Coax, fibre, or power line that you didn't know was buried there.

Also, a question of clarification. Your office is getting the 100m Cat6a run, correct? Does the office actually require 10Gig speeds, or are you simply using the 100m distance? Your statement makes it seem like you're using Cat6a simply because it's a 100m run. All Ethernet cable is capable of 100m runs, though the max speed will vary depending on the specific category. Cat5e is capable of doing 1Gig at 100m, same with Cat6. Cat6a can do 10Gig at 100m, so it depends on your specific requirements.

With that in mind, if you can afford to bury Cat6a (Or even Cat7 - higher MHz rating, theoretically capable of 100Gig Ethernet when that eventually comes down to consumers), it's better for future proofing the install.

As for the switch, this is where things get tricky. There are plenty of straight up 10Gbe switches. These, are however, very expensive. Usually hundreds of dollars/pounds.

You can pick up 1Gbe switches that have a 10Gbe uplink port, but these are generally designed to link switch backbones together or the like. I'm not sure you can even configure said port as a normal port on the network.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

@dom1310df's suggestion of PVC piping is probably the best course of action. Please note that you should check local regulations on digging holes in the ground. You don't want to accidentally slice through a Coax, fibre, or power line that you didn't know was buried there.

Also, a question of clarification. Your office is getting the 100m Cat6a run, correct? Does the office actually require 10Gig speeds, or are you simply using the 100m distance? Your statement makes it seem like you're using Cat6a simply because it's a 100m run. All Ethernet cable is capable of 100m runs, though the max speed will vary depending on the specific category. Cat5e is capable of doing 1Gig at 100m, same with Cat6. Cat6a can do 10Gig at 100m, so it depends on your specific requirements.

With that in mind, if you can afford to bury Cat6a (Or even Cat7 - higher MHz rating, theoretically capable of 100Gig Ethernet when that eventually comes down to consumers), it's better for future proofing the install.

As for the switch, this is where things get tricky. There are plenty of straight up 10Gbe switches. These, are however, very expensive. Usually hundreds of dollars/pounds.

You can pick up 1Gbe switches that have a 10Gbe uplink port, but these are generally designed to link switch backbones together or the like. I'm not sure you can even configure said port as a normal port on the network.

Thanks I may just run CAT5e Or 6 now and I will check the local regulations. And use a GB switch thanks.

Thanks I may just run CAT5e Or 6 now and I will check the local regulations. And use a GB switch thanks.

Use CAT 6 something like an FTP or even an STP cable and run PVC piping. In the future you could swap out the cable.