What is the difference between Background/Startup Processes and can disabling them help PC Performance?

Shaan5

I'm just confused about the two, If something is turning on during startup, Wouldn't also be running in the background as well.

How could I go about editing these and would It improve my FPS if I did?

Thanks In Advance!

Case: Define R5 I GPU: G1 GTX 970 I CPU: i5 4690k I RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X I PSU:  EVGA 750B2 I Cooler: Noctua NH D15 

MB: ASUS Z97-A I SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB I HDD: WD Black 1TB

Startup are any type of programs that start up when your PC starts. The other kind just run in the background or minimize to your taskbar, background processes can be start up too. Background proccess like Steam or Origin run even when you close the window and you can enable them to open when you start your PC

24 fps for that "cinematic" feel

After a couple weeks of behavioral sciences at my school I can easily conclude my parents need to grow up.

I'm just confused about the two, If something is turning on during startup, Wouldn't also be running in the background as well.

How could I go about editing these and would It improve my FPS if I did?

Thanks In Advance!

So every startup program runs in the background until you kill it. Other background processes do not start until you launch them. Yes technically speaking killing background processes will help FPS but they shouldn't be a very large utilization factor unless something is wrong. You can use task manager to kill/manage start up and background processes.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

So every startup program runs in the background until you kill it. Other background processes do not start until you launch them. Yes technically speaking killing background processes will help FPS but they shouldn't be a very large utilization factor unless something is wrong. You can use task manager to kill/manage start up and background processes.

I have 35 Background Processes running.

Only 1% of my CPU is being used by all of them and they are things like system and Chrome.

20% of my memory is being utilized but again it is being used by Important things that I should Probably leave on like Chrome and Intel/Nvidia Stuff that are probably important.

In my startup, the Only things of note are CCleaner and Steam Client Bootstrapper, Would It be safe to remove those?

Could I remove everything Steam related from the Background Processes

Case: Define R5 I GPU: G1 GTX 970 I CPU: i5 4690k I RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X I PSU:  EVGA 750B2 I Cooler: Noctua NH D15 

Background processes is what Windows runs that keeps the OS afloat. A lot of antivirus software and stuff runs there as well. I personally wouldn't touch any of them unless you're positive what it is and know it doesn't need to be running. For example I have SplashTop Streamer on my machine and it runs in the background 24/7 even when I close the software and have no plans on using it. That's something I could kill off as it has no point in running and won't effect the machine. Startup programs on the other hand you can disable everything (that you find in task managers startup tab). That will mostly help your machine fully boot faster as it doesn't have to load any of that extra software after it's done loading Windows. The startup software wont effect game performance as long as it's just standard stuff like Skype. The background processes mostly wont effect gaming performance either as most of them are services that are required for things like said such as antivirus protection.

If you have CCleaner I would disable it's active monitoring in it's settings (kind of pointless if you only use it to do scans from time to time like I do).

eJ5ZAgm.png

Background processes is what Windows runs that keeps the OS afloat. A lot of antivirus software and stuff runs there as well. I personally wouldn't touch any of them unless you're positive what it is and know it doesn't need to be running. For example I have SplashTop Streamer on my machine and it runs in the background 24/7 even when I closed the software and have no plans on using it. That's something I could kill off as it has no point in running and won't effect the machine. Startup programs on the other hand you can disable everything (that you find in task managers startup tab). That will mostly help your machine fully boot faster as it doesn't have to load any of that extra software after it's done loading Windows. The startup software wont effect game performance as long as it's just standard stuff like Skype. The background processes mostly wont effect gaming performance either as most of them are services that are required for things like said such as antivirus protection.

If you have CCleaner I would disable it's active monitoring in it's settings (kind of pointless if you only use it to do scans from time to time like I do).

eJ5ZAgm.png

I went to do that and it told me that it wasn't recommended because I wont get updates. Should I just Disable it anyways.

So I can just disable everything on startup, Will there be any issues if I do that?

I went to do that and it told me that it wasn't recommended because I wont get updates. Should I just Disable it anyways.

So I can just disable everything on startup, Will there be any issues if I do that?

You can manually update CCleaner it's not a big deal. If you want to yes, in task manager under the "Startup" tab you can disable everything there. Although none of that software will load at startup so be careful to not disable antivirus from starting up when the machine boots.