Need help choosing a monitor, please. (G-Sync, 27"+, 1440p+)

Queek

I'm hoping some of you folks can help me out with a decision.  I have been drooling over the PG278Q ever since I heard of it, and now I finally have the system and funds to actually think about making a purchase.  The trick is that I haven't been paying attention to the monitor market recently, and I don't know what's out there these days that does what I want.  

What I'm looking for:

-  reputable manufacturer

-  G-Sync

-  at least 1440p

-  27" or greater

- high refresh rate

- decent response time

This is going to be a gaming monitor.  I may do some word processing on it (hence why I want a higher pixel density than my 27" 1080p current monitor).  I don't care very much about colour accuracy, but better accuracy and viewing angles are a plus.  

Do you folks have one or more recommendations in the sub $1000 price bracket that fit my picky requirements?  Currently the PG278Q is on sale on NCIX for $130 off, which is what prompted all this, but a quick search has also yielded rumors of an ASUS PG27AQ, and the Acer XB270HU or XB280HK.  Are there more?

The GPUs that will be driving this are currently 2x GTX 780.  Sometime in the future I will be upgrading these, but I'm planning on a water cooling setup before a gpu upgrade.  

Thank you everyone!

I'll bribe you with promised likes for helpful posts!

Isopropyl alcohol is all you need for cleaning CPU's and motherboard components.  No, you don't need [insert cleaning solution here].  -Source: PhD Student, Chemistry

Why overclockers should understand Load-Line Calibration.

ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition || i7 3930k @ 4.5 GHz || 32 GB Corsair Vengeance CL8 || ASUS GTX 780 DCuII || ASUS Xonar Essence STX || XFX PRO 1000W

ROG swift and XB270HU are the only ones worth getting right now.  I'm waiting for the 4k version, which I'm guessing will be another year.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

Acer XB270HU

/thread

The XB270HU is basically a PG278Q with a better panel but worse enclosure.

The XB280HK and PG27AQ are both 60Hz 4K panels so I'm not sure you'd be as interested in those.

Those are your main options, there's not much else at the moment.

ROG swift and XB270HU are the only ones worth getting right now. I'm waiting for the 4k version, which I'm guessing will be another year.

Thank you for the very prompt replies. It is abundantly clear which monitor you think I should get

Isopropyl alcohol is all you need for cleaning CPU's and motherboard components.  No, you don't need [insert cleaning solution here].  -Source: PhD Student, Chemistry

ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition || i7 3930k @ 4.5 GHz || 32 GB Corsair Vengeance CL8 || ASUS GTX 780 DCuII || ASUS Xonar Essence STX || XFX PRO 1000W

The XB270HU has been getting good reviews, but many users have reported pretty significant light bleeding and Acer has a less-than-stellar warranty policy for dead pixels. I believe they won't RMA any panel unless it has more than 15 dead pixels (unless they are in the center of the panel).

It's a gamble at this point, but it's really the only option at the moment. More options will be appearing in the coming months.

Yeah, I'm not sure if Acer has improved in any big way.  I think you'd get better quality and service with the Asus ROG Swift, but of course the big trade off is that TN panel.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

Thank you for the very prompt replies. It is abundantly clear which monitor you think I should get

I have one follow up question: in the past Acer had a less-than-stellar reputation for monitor quality, from what I remember. Is that still the case? I don't want to spend $1000 on a monitor that will give me nothing but problems or will fall apart.

Acer has improved a lot with monitors in the last few years. The H236HLbid I've used impressed me quite a lot. The enclosure on the XB270HU is certainly more plasticky than the PG278Q but not really horrible. People will tell you about QA complaints, reports of backlight bleed, dead pixels... That happens with any enthusiast product launch. The PG278Q had the exact same complaints but everyone seems to have forgotten about those now and say it's a much higher quality monitor... Funny how that works.

SINphul, CostcoSamples, Glenwing Thanks for the input.  I may wait a couple of months and see if there are any new ones that come out.  

I'll consider the Acer one, but I rank build quality pretty high, and I feel that if I'm paying $1000 for a product, I should get something that isn't flimsy.  Call me needy, but that's how I feel about it.  

I'm hoping some of you folks can help me out with a decision.  I have been drooling over the PG278Q ever since I heard of it, and now I finally have the system and funds to actually think about making a purchase.  The trick is that I haven't been paying attention to the monitor market recently, and I don't know what's out there these days that does what I want.  

What I'm looking for:

-  reputable manufacturer

-  G-Sync

-  at least 1440p

-  27" or greater

- high refresh rate

- decent response time

This is going to be a gaming monitor.  I may do some word processing on it (hence why I want a higher pixel density than my 27" 1080p current monitor).  I don't care very much about colour accuracy, but better accuracy and viewing angles are a plus.  

Do you folks have one or more recommendations in the sub $1000 price bracket that fit my picky requirements?  Currently the PG278Q is on sale on NCIX for $130 off, which is what prompted all this, but a quick search has also yielded rumors of an ASUS PG27AQ, and the Acer XB270HU or XB280HK.  Are there more?

The GPUs that will be driving this are currently 2x GTX 780.  Sometime in the future I will be upgrading these, but I'm planning on a water cooling setup before a gpu upgrade.  

Thank you everyone!

I'll bribe you with promised likes for helpful posts!

Get the ROG Swift because its perfect 

SINphul, CostcoSamples, Glenwing Thanks for the input.  I may wait a couple of months and see if there are any new ones that come out.  

I'll consider the Acer one, but I rank build quality pretty high, and I feel that if I'm paying $1000 for a product, I should get something that isn't flimsy.  Call me needy, but that's how I feel about it.  

I feel the same way.  $1k is too much for shiny plastic.

PC Build

Desk Build