"Deep Silence" Scratch Built Case Proposal- feedback pls

concinnity

I come bearing designs and poorly drawn MS Paint diagrams. The idea behind this case/system is to basically get away with as few fans as possible while maintaining decent temperatures (70 MAX on CPU, 85 MAX on GPU) at full load on the hardware. I'd rather the system run a little warmer in the quest for quiet. 

In this proposed build, the system would be running a 5820K and GTX 980. It would use an HX850i PSU with the stock fan replaced with a Noctua (for the lolz), and have a custom fan curve. (please ignore the label on the PSU)

Ideally, I would like to use a dual tower air cooler with a single fan sandwiched between, but I am unsure if it is physically possible to orient the cooler in such a manner.

*Apologizing in advance as the pictures are apparently super hi res and obnoxious to scroll through*

ygwW2Wh.png

5jcHotI.png

The following may give a better perspective of what I'm trying to accomplish. Please note that this was an earlier revision when I had plans to use an mATX board and venting along the front edge.

d4MHJNJ.jpg

To cover the top, I would fabricate a rectangular piece of modders mesh so that it would be flush with the top edge of the case. I would line it with a low density foam (.125-.25 inches thick) to keep out dust. I would like to put it on hinges, mounted from the back. However, then I have to run every cable I want to plug in through the space created. If anyone has an idea on how to make a sort of "quick disconnect" hinge system, I would love to hear it.

So that's what I've got so far. Please leave comments, opinions, recommendations, wisdom, pictures of miniature giraffes, etc...

Anything built with screws is meant to be disassembled.

Yes looks good. Just a few suggestions:

- Turn the CPU cooler by 90°, so it blowes the hot air up and out of the case. If you can find one that fits in this orientation.

- Use a passive PSU like the Seasonic Platinum Fanless (my one had a bit of coilwhine) or the Enermax Digifanless (I don't have one jet so I can't tell something about the coil whine). But there are also other fanless PSU's. Ther orientation of your PSU is not ideal for fanless operation, but it's not that bad, if you don't run it at 100% load all the time.

I guess you don't overclock so your max power draw is <400W so you never reach more than 75% load peak.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

There was a brand that has a case calles deep silence.

I think it was Nanoxia.

My beliefs when it comes to silence is you have either a case that's as open as possible, or with as much soundproofing as possible.

When it comes to fans you either have as many as possible turning as slow as possible, or as few as possible.

For passive cooling it's best to put heat producing components as low as possible, and have a sort of chimney on top to pull hot air out.

Because fans aren't the only sound producing components (harddrives and if you're unlucky also coil whine are the others) I went the soundproofing route.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

- Turn the CPU cooler by 90°, so it blowes the hot air up and out of the case. If you can find one that fits in this orientation.

- Use a passive PSU like the Seasonic Platinum Fanless (my one had a bit of coilwhine) or the Enermax Digifanless (I don't have one jet so I can't tell something about the coil whine). But there are also other fanless PSU's. Ther orientation of your PSU is not ideal for fanless operation, but it's not that bad, if you don't run it at 100% load all the time.

I guess you don't overclock so your max power draw is <400W so you never reach more than 75% load peak.

This guy/\ knows what he's talking about listen to him !!!

and yeah look at his concepts and build logs they might inspire you:D

The Y.E.T.I. is in progress?Whaaat? (modding aproach&build log)->http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/355618-project-yeti-first-build/

[READ THE COC BEFORE POSTING][Check twice cut once][NZXT rules:D][Dremel is Love Dremel is Life][COOKIES ARE GREAT][LOGIC]

-snip-

Because fans aren't the only sound producing components (harddrives and if you're unlucky also coil whine are the others) I went the soundproofing route.

What this guy said ^ I use mainly noctua fans in my pc and all my fans are almost completely silent at 3ft away in a quiet house. My WD blue hdd is not silent, at all. It is quiet but when you go for silence it is very noticeable. I should mention I have my hdd suspended by elastic, which did quiet it down but it's still the loudest part of my system.

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

There was a brand that has a case calles deep silence.

I think it was Nanoxia.

My beliefs when it comes to silence is you have either a case that's as open as possible, or with as much soundproofing as possible.

When it comes to fans you either have as many as possible turning as slow as possible, or as few as possible.

For passive cooling it's best to put heat producing components as low as possible, and have a sort of chimney on top to pull hot air out.

Thanks to everyone thus far for the feedback.

I will only be using solid state storage.

I plan to do soundproofing on as much of the internal surface area as practical.

In regard to the PSU orientation and position, I know heat rises, but since there would be positive air pressure in the case, the PSU wouldn't be starved for air (albeit warm air). That's the primary reason I oriented the CPU cooler the way I did. Do you think temps will be too high in this orientation?

Anything built with screws is meant to be disassembled.

I plan to do soundproofing on as much of the internal surface area as practical.

In regard to the PSU orientation and position, I know heat rises, but since there would be positive air pressure in the case, the PSU wouldn't be starved for air (albeit warm air). That's the primary reason I oriented the CPU cooler the way I did. Do you think temps will be too high in this orientation?

A low RPM fan directed at the PSU would help a lot. Putting a 3rd 140mm fan running at 5-7v on the bottom would do. 

The PSU manufacturer suggest that you mount the PSU top gill up. But since you don't need the full power you will be fine. My Seasonic Fanless 520W gets hardly warm at 400W with zero additional airflow. If you are worried and have a lot of money you can buy an Enermax Digifanless and monitor the temps.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil