COOLER:   CoolerMaster Seido Liquid CPU cooper

CORE:   Intel i7 5820K

GPU:   Geforce 970 phantom

SSD:   Kingston V300 240gb

HDD:   Seagate barracuda 3tb

MEMORY:   G.Skill Ripjaws 4f4 3000 16gb ddr4

MOTHERBOARD:   MSI X99S SLI KRAIT

PSU: CoolerMaster V750 gold

Basically was just wondering your guys' thoughts/feelings about part selection, experiences with any of these parts and/or manufacturers, anything you'd change etc.

My work requires a lot of rendering as im doing a lot drafting type work at the moment, so was wondering the difference between DDR3 and DDR4 RAM, whether you believe the price difference is worth it, and the Krait was chosen for the inevitable graphics card inadequacy, where i could hopefully pick up a compatible 970 and SLI it for a cheapish boost.

Also was wondering about escaping the "Australia Tax" and buying from overseas, obviously a PSU would have to be from here, but in terms of other parts.

Cheers for any help guys :D

EDIT: Im mostly using the Autodesk suite, CAD, 3DPLANT etc, with a bit of solidworks and revvit, it's not super important because i can use them at work on the work systems, but if i have to i'd need to be able to do some work from home.

I've also heard that SLI'd 970s provide somthing like 50% more power, for only about 20% increase in price compared to a 980, and 1 970 is probably enough at the moment.

Ive always prefered to get a good base, then build up as i need it, so that was the logic for the 2011-13 mobo, cpu, ram etc, so i can upgrade parts as the go on special etc or as i need them, thoughts regarding this? is it better to just go from rig to rig with full upgrades or as you go? I really don't know haha , cheers for the replies guys, appreciate it.

What kind of rendering are you doing? Programs being used?

Why such a large psu? Are you planning to sli?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Are you planning to sli?

He says in the post he wants to possibly SLI in the future

~Grif

x99 isn't really worth it in my mind. You'd be better served to get a z97 system and put the cost savings towards a better video card. I'll put together a system example, be back.

CPU i5-4690K(OC to 4.4Ghz) CPU Cooler NZXT Kraken x41 Motherboard MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Memory G.Skillz Ripjaws X 16gb 2133 Video Card MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X           Case NZXT H440 Power Supply XFX XTR 750W Modular Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250gb/Seagate Barracuda 2TB Monitor Acer XB270HU G-Sync http://pcpartpicker.com/b/3CkTwP

Given your budget you'd be better served with something like the below. With the cost savings of switching to z97 and DDR3 I was able to bump you to a GTX 980. Also switched you to a MSI Gaming 5 motherboard, better than the SLI Krait and fits a red/black color scheme. got you a better quality power supply, SSD (no 850 Evo in AUS?) and CPU cooler as well. You still have the option to add a 2nd 980 in the future as well as 16gb more ram in the future.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($462.00 @ Centre Com)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($175.00 @ CPL Online)
Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($226.00 @ IJK)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($162.00 @ IJK)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($174.07 @ Umart)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($130.00 @ Centre Com)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 4GB Twin Frozr Video Card  ($795.00 @ Umart)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer ATX Mid Tower Case  ($109.00 @ PLE Computers)
Power Supply: XFX XTR 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($168.00 @ CPL Online)
Total: $2401.07
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-16 06:41 AEST+1000

CPU i5-4690K(OC to 4.4Ghz) CPU Cooler NZXT Kraken x41 Motherboard MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Memory G.Skillz Ripjaws X 16gb 2133 Video Card MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X           Case NZXT H440 Power Supply XFX XTR 750W Modular Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250gb/Seagate Barracuda 2TB Monitor Acer XB270HU G-Sync http://pcpartpicker.com/b/3CkTwP