I can not get RAID 0 to work

zolo30

I just bought two 3tb hard drives and I am having a hard time getting them in RAID 0. I am using a z87 MSI g45 MOBO anyone have any ideas?

Are they both the same drive?

Sig under construction.

Are they both the same drive?

yes

Enable RAID in bios

Reboot into the RAID Config

Add both to a RAID cluser

Profit?

Also, why are you using RAID 0? There is no good reason I can think of to use it on large mechanical drives in a consumer system...

In my experience the key things to remember are:

1. Disable fastboot

2. Set sata controller to RAID mode

3. Spam the RAID config key during boot (Should be alt+i or ctrl+i)

4. Follow the onscreen prompts to make a new volume.

Enable RAID in bios

Reboot into the RAID Config

Add both to a RAID cluser

Profit?

Also, why are you using RAID 0? There is no good reason I can think of to use it on large mechanical drives in a consumer system...

I like having one large 6tb volume and i will get a little speed increase.

In my experience the key things to remember are:

1. Disable fastboot

2. Set sata controller to RAID mode

3. Spam the RAID config key during boot (Should be alt+i or ctrl+i)

4. Follow the onscreen prompts to make a new volume.

THank you I will try that

My computer keeps crashing ever since i start trying to put them in RAID anyone know why

My computer keeps crashing ever since i start trying to put them in RAID anyone know why

If you change the SATA controller to RAID mode after windows has been installed, it will blue screen on boot. Windows needs to be reinstalled after changing the SATA Controller's mode. There may be a solution that doesn't require a full reinstall, but there isn't a reliable one that I'm aware of.

• 2 weeks later...

If you change the SATA controller to RAID mode after windows has been installed, it will blue screen on boot. Windows needs to be reinstalled after changing the SATA Controller's mode. There may be a solution that doesn't require a full reinstall, but there isn't a reliable one that I'm aware of.

Yeah that was my problem. I reinstalled windows and luckily I saved all my BIOS settings. It all works now as advertised with only 5.4TB usable of the 6 and getting almost double the read and write speeds. 300+ mbs on both which is what I was looking for a bigger single drive with a little speed boost.

Yeah that was my problem. I reinstalled windows and luckily I saved all my BIOS settings. It all works now as advertised with only 5.4TB usable of the 6 and getting almost double the read and write speeds. 300+ mbs on both which is what I was looking for a bigger single drive with a little speed boost.

Good to hear. Make sure you keep backups. The scaling should be pretty good up to the 800MB/s mark. If you ever decide to add redundancy, Intel RST allows you to plug in a drive and convert the array to RAID 5.