Steam games launch fail

anfor68

whenever I try to launch L4D2 or Dead Island from Steam, it shows the preparing to launch message and nothing.

tried reinstalling both the games and steam with no luck

I requested for Steam support ticket and hopefully I have an answer by tomorrow, but in the meantime I would like to get it working so I can play Dead Island my friend gifted me,,,

thanks in advance!!!

Have you tired to "Verify Integrity of Game Cache?" It will look for any corrupted or missing files for you and re downloads them. 

how do you do that?

Cpu: Intel i5- 4570 | Ram: Crucial DDR3 8GB | Video Card: Evega GTX 660 Ti 2GB Super Clocked

Monitor: Philips 24" | Keyboard: CM Storm Quickfire TK | Mouse: Logitech G700s |

Steam

Have you tired to "Verify Integrity of Game Cache?" It will look for any corrupted or missing files for you and re downloads them. 

tried on both games and I just realized I have the retail disk for L4D2

reinstalling it that way might help with L4D2 at least

Does it happen to other games, aswell?

no. I tried running HL earlier and it worked. so I really don't know what the problem is

how do you do that?

1. Go onto the Steam Client 

2. Right click on the game you want to verify 

3. Click on "Properties"

4. Local Files 

5. "Verify integrity of game cache"

how do you do that?

on Steam Library right click the game, click properties, local files, and there it is

If you're running Windows 8, I recommend running it in compatibility mode.

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Why would he have too? I run windows 8 and never have problems with steam. And windows 8 is based of 7 so it would make a difference...

\

Why would he have too? I run windows 8 and never have problems with steam. And windows 8 is based of 7 so it would make a difference...

Sure, Windows 8 is based off Windows 7. Major revisions of any operating system don't support everything the previous did though. Why do you think they have compatibility mode in the first place? Just because you've never run into any issues with any applications you run doesn't mean they don't exist. All it takes is for an API here and there to be changed / removed and an application will break quite heavily, depending on what it is.

It's essentially why OS vendors give developers insight and pre-release builds so they can ensure compatibility and stability. Developers / Vendors who don't do this are just lazy or they don't care. It's sad really.

Sure, Windows 8 is based off Windows 7. Major revisions of any operating system don't support everything the previous did though. Why do you think they have compatibility mode in the first place? Just because you've never run into any issues with any applications you run doesn't mean they don't exist. All it takes is for an API here and there to be changed / removed and an application will break quite heavily, depending on what it is.

It's essentially why OS vendors give developers insight and pre-release builds so they can ensure compatibility and stability. Developers / Vendors who don't do this are just lazy or they don't care. It's sad really.

Still. Your argument is invalid. Steam works 100% fine on windows 8.

\

apparently doing a fresh install fixes the problem

Still. Your argument is invalid. Steam works 100% fine on windows 8.

I'd love for you to point out how my argument is invalid. OP was referring to games, not Steam itself. GG.

If you can prove me wrong, I'll be impressed.

apparently doing a fresh install fixes the problem

Glad to hear :)

I have Windows 8, and I have no issues running any games. I play L4D2 and Dead Island with no problem.

| CPU: INTEL i5 6600k @ 4.6Ghz @ 1.328v | Motherboard: ASUS Z170-AR | Ram: G.SKILL 2x8GB 2400Mhz | CPU Cooler : Corsair H100i V2

| GPU: GIGABYTE GTX980Ti G1 GAMING | SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250GB  Storage: WD 1TB GREEN | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit | PSU: FSP 650W AURUM S |

<<<<< BLK-Phant0m >>>>>

Has anyone encountered a somewhat similar issue where every time you alt-tab out of a valve game it crashes?

Has anyone encountered a somewhat similar issue where every time you alt-tab out of a valve game it crashes?

This has never happened to me..

| CPU: INTEL i5 6600k @ 4.6Ghz @ 1.328v | Motherboard: ASUS Z170-AR | Ram: G.SKILL 2x8GB 2400Mhz | CPU Cooler : Corsair H100i V2

| GPU: GIGABYTE GTX980Ti G1 GAMING | SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250GB  Storage: WD 1TB GREEN | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit | PSU: FSP 650W AURUM S |

<<<<< BLK-Phant0m >>>>>

Borderless windowed mode worked a treat - thanks!

no problem!