Diagnose ADSL problem

Go to solution Solved by Hollow Volition,

I ran a new speedtest this morning.

4347582389.png

I found out my line was "FUP'ed" (Fair Usage Policy) and throttled. My connection seems to have gotten back to normal after midnight - must be when they reset my line or something.

Anyway, I really appreciate all your input guys. Thanks everyone.

Hello. I supposedly have a 4mbit ADSL connection. However, my whole internet experience has recently become dreadful and I can't play online either. The modem is a wireless generic/Thomson router. I've attached a screen capture of ping requests sent to Google. I've also copied some information from the modem's control panel - I don't understand what the figures mean though.

post-147570-0-32113400-1431114338.jpg

Link Information
Uptime: 0 days, 0:31:41
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.1
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 512 / 4.096
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 2,96 / 15,32
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12,3 / 19,9
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 31,0 / 44,0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 21,0 / 7,4
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / BDCM
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / -
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / -
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / -
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 11 / -
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 144.296
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 2 / 24
HEC Errors (Up/Down): - / 408

Are these figures good or bad? Do they reflect an apparent problem perhaps? Should I contact my ISP? I'd like to know what you guys think.

You're getting the supposed 4mbps to the router, so the physical connection is supposedly fine... 

Sig under construction.

those ping results are pretty terrible.  Are you connected using wifi?  If so, try plug into the modem directly with an ethernet cable and try the ping again.

Another useful tool for network testing is speedtest.net

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

those ping results are pretty terrible.  Are you connected using wifi?  If so, try plug into the modem directly with an ethernet cable and try the ping again.

Another useful tool for network testing is speedtest.net

as well as pingtest.net

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

Heyyo,

Try going to http://www.speedtest.net and see what your results are. Share them here please.

[EDIT]

Pinging Google? Nah, pinging them always gives poor results. It's a high-bandwith website. Just try a speed test to see if your setup is even getting the advertised speeds.

If your results aren't good? Unplug your modems/routers for about ten seconds then plug them back in. It should reset your address with your ISP. After she's all reconnected? Try running that speed test again. If it keeps acting up? You can try calling your ISP and see if there's anything on their end they can diagnose.

Heyyo,

My PC Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/sNPscf

My Android Phone: Exodus Android on my OnePlus One 64bit in Sandstone Black in a Ringke Fusion clear & slim protective case

If you are on wifi, try something like wifi analyzer (for android devices) or maybe something like acrylicwifi.com for PC.  It will tell you which wifi channels are congested and what kind of signal strength you have.  Do you live close to a lot of other people?  If so, expect crappy wifi due to over crowded channels.  You could try a 5ghz router which is usually less congested.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

If you are on wifi, try something like wifi analyzer (for android devices) or maybe something like acrylicwifi.com for PC.  It will tell you which wifi channels are congested and what kind of signal strength you have.  Do you live close to a lot of other people?  If so, expect crappy wifi due to over crowded channels.  You could try a 5ghz router which is usually less congested.

I live in a building and practically every one has a wifi router around. So I'm gonna try the wifi analyzer app to see if I can pinpoint the issue to the router.

I ran a new speedtest this morning.

4347582389.png

I found out my line was "FUP'ed" (Fair Usage Policy) and throttled. My connection seems to have gotten back to normal after midnight - must be when they reset my line or something.

Anyway, I really appreciate all your input guys. Thanks everyone.