Does folding@home & boinc damage hardware?

Hi, I was wondering if these programs do wear out hardware like Bitcoin mining does. This is holding me back from folding. I'm still a high school student (turning 18 in 3 weeks) and I don't have any money for a new pc if mine breaks. I'm planning to do 24/7. Thanks!

Please review the FAQ pinned where I have a section on this with more detail. Short story, as long as you manage your temps, no, you won't wear your gear out before an upgrade cycle would come alone naturally. :)

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Hi, I was wondering if these programs do wear out hardware like Bitcoin mining does. This is holding me back from folding. I'm still a high school student (turning 18 in 3 weeks) and I don't have any money for a new pc if mine breaks. I'm planning to do 24/7. Thanks!

So long as it isn't a notebook, you should be fine.

Still, do as whaler said and monitor your temps.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

FWIW, I ran a GTX560ti 24/7 for F@H and it lasted a week (after having new fans/thermal paste installed initially) . So, no, I wouldn't recommend folding or mining on any card you weren't willing to lose (in my case the 560 was an old left over...so no big deal).

Just my .02.

Good luck.

The computer isn't the "Thing".....the computer is the "Thing" that gets you to the "Thing".  - excerpt from "Halt and Catch Fire".

as long as you have good reasonable temps you will be fine

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular