Xeon or i7 5960x for Editing and Gaming?

Go to solution Solved by WereCat,

i7 5960x vs Xeon E5-2640V3?

i7 5960x would be much better for gaming because that Xeon is clocked really low and you cant OC it (well, you can but by using BCLK which is no really recommended).

Same with Xeon E5-2630V3

except this one is much better value for editing as it is $300-$400 cheaper and if you are willing to go for BCLK overclocking then it would be also much better value for gaming.

So my friend is going to build a PC for Editing and Gaming purposes (And i will too soon since i'm taking the first basic courses of adobe after effects i'm starting to fall in love with the program already learned a lot of things) so we are both curious if the Xeon would perform well in games, because we already know they are slightly better than the i7 5960x when it comes to rendering, and 3D Modeling and works similar to these productivities. so what is the best CPU type for overall Editing and Overall is the i7? or Xeon?

When i despair, i remember that all through history the way of truth and love have always won.

i7 5960x would be much better for gaming because that Xeon is clocked really low and you cant OC it (well, you can but by using BCLK which is no really recommended).

Same with Xeon E5-2630V3

except this one is much better value for editing as it is $300-$400 cheaper and if you are willing to go for BCLK overclocking then it would be also much better value for gaming.

How much are you willing to play or is this just plain curiosity?

I didn't get what you mean "How much i'am willing to play"? i assume you meant "How much i'm willing to pay".

Same with Xeon E5-2630V3

Alright thanks bro.

When i despair, i remember that all through history the way of truth and love have always won.

I didn't get what you mean "How much i'am willing to play"? i assume you meant "How much i'm willing to pay".

Alright thanks bro.

Could you give us your budget perhaps then?

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

Could you give us your budget perhaps then?

Unfortunately, my budget isn't really high.. the process of saving for this kind of build is still on going. patience is key!

Same with Xeon E5-2630V3

UPDATE: One more thing bro, is it possible to install a separate Quadro GPU on the Third or Second PCie slot? and the first slot obviously going to be any of the GeForce GTX Cards for Gaming.

UPDATE: One more thing bro, is it possible to install a separate Quadro GPU on the Third or Second PCie slot? and the first slot obviously going to be any of the GeForce GTX Cards for Gaming.

yes

yes

Thank you.

uhmm did i read that right? fewer, faster cores for gaming, right?

uhmm did i read that right? fewer, faster cores for gaming, right?

What? All the CPUs I was talking about have 8 cores + HT, they are different in clock speeds.

i7 5960x is 3.0GHz and can be easily OCd by increasing multiplier

Xeon E5 2640 V3 is 2.6GHz and can by OCd only by BCLK

Xeon E5 2630 V3 is 2.4GHz and can by OCd only by BCLK

So for gaming the higher clockspeed wins every time (up untill certain level which is around 4.0GHz above taht you wont get as big FPS differences as between 2GHz to 3GHz or 3Ghz to 4GHz).

Right now for gaming i5 is more than enough (4cores 4threads) so even i5 4690k would perform better at stock speed than stock Xeon E5 2640 V3 simply because it have 1GHz bigger clock. But nowhere so good at editing as the Xeon. If he can OC Xeon by using BCLK to at least 3.5GHz then it is much more worth it than i5 at 4GHz even for gaming as the difference in FPS would not be very noticable.

What? All the CPUs I was talking about have 8 cores + HT, they are different in clock speeds.

i7 5960x is 3.0GHz and can be easily OCd by increasing multiplier

Xeon E5 2640 V3 is 2.6GHz and can by OCd only by BCLK

Xeon E5 2630 V3 is 2.4GHz and can by OCd only by BCLK

So for gaming the higher clockspeed wins every time (up untill certain level which is around 4.0GHz above taht you wont get as big FPS differences as between 2GHz to 3GHz or 3Ghz to 4GHz).

Right now for gaming i5 is more than enough (4cores 4threads) so even i5 4690k would perform better at stock speed than stock Xeon E5 2640 V3 simply because it have 1GHz bigger clock. But nowhere so good at editing as the Xeon. If he can OC Xeon by using BCLK to at least 3.5GHz then it is much more worth it than i5 at 4GHz even for gaming as the difference in FPS would not be very noticable.

ah yes..sorry bout that..it's like i complete missed you mentioning the xeon being the slower one..

my bad, seems i need my cup of joe again.lol