Custom built case

Cactu

So I am planning on building a case that I can fit in a backpack (thickness can be no more than 8" and the other detentions should be less than a 17" laptop) and it needs to fit this hardware

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3kQGD3

Except for the heat sink (could you reccomend a small one)

What do I need to do to get started with this project

My idea was to make it out of plexiglass and move the gpu with pice ribbon cable to be near fresh air and to minimize space, what are your thoughts?

My recommendation for a CPU cooler the BeQuiet! Shadow Rock LP

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

So I am planning on building a case that I can fit in a backpack (thickness can be no more than 8" and the other detentions should be less than a 17" laptop) and it needs to fit this hardware

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3kQGD3

Except for the heat sink (could you reccomend a small one)

What do I need to do to get started with this project

My idea was to make it out of plexiglass and move the gpu with pice ribbon cable to be near fresh air and to minimize space, what are your thoughts?

I can't help you all the way, but here's some tips.

1. When making sure that it all stays together, go overkill. You don't want things to fall apart.
  2. Try rubberizing some parts, or use something that will cushion fall damage, since you are going to move it around.
  3. Don't use things that are conductive. Because of obvious reasons.
  4. Make sure that airflow keeps optimal. Adding fans to your build will be a big plus!

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

龴 ͡ↀ ◡ ͡ↀ龴#locked( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)

Plexiglass is a good material choice (make sure it's thick enough). You'll need standoff screws for the motherboard though, without them the plastic could melt. In fact, heat is going to be your greatest problem, as it's hard to dissipate heat in such a small case. The gpu will need direct access to fresh air, so you may want to consider a hole or a large mail grill in front of it.

Use this cpu cooler, it should just fit. Make sure you have a grill or hole in front of it so it gets fresh air.

You probably want a smaller psu, like this one. Again, hole or grill in front of the fan and exhaust.

Use an ssd in this build as shaking hard drives is not a good idea.

Again, make sure the hotter parts (mainly cpu and gpu) don't come in direct contact with the plexiglass, or you risk melting it.

Good luck, if you manage post a build log, it would be very interesting :)

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Oh, and take a walk trough the forum and search for people that are experienced with building pc's.

For example, @BaxterTheFly is an extreme case builder! Check out his work that he posted on the forum!

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

龴 ͡ↀ ◡ ͡ↀ龴#locked( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)

Plexiglass is a good material choice (make sure it's thick enough). You'll need standoff screws for the motherboard though, without them the plastic could melt. In fact, heat is going to be your greatest problem, as it's hard to dissipate heat in such a small case. The gpu will need direct access to fresh air, so you may want to consider a hole or a large mail grill in front of it.

Use this cpu cooler, it should just fit. Make sure you have a grill or hole in front of it so it gets fresh air.

You probably want a smaller psu, like this one. Again, hole or grill in front of the fan and exhaust.

Use an ssd in this build as shaking hard drives is not a good idea.

Again, make sure the hotter parts (mainly cpu and gpu) don't come in direct contact with the plexiglass, or you risk melting it.

Good luck, if you manage post a build log, it would be very interesting :)

How thick is good enough?

How thick is good enough?

0.5 cm and up I would say.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

0.5 cm and up I would say.

Ok I have some other questions.

How do I make motherboard standoff

Where should I buy plexiglass

Hou should I cut/attach said plexiglass

How would I cut an io for the mobo and gpu and psu

Ok I have some other questions.

How do I make motherboard standoff

Where should I buy plexiglass

Hou should I cut/attach said plexiglass

How would I cut an io for the mobo and gpu and psu

Motherboard standoffs come with the motherboard udually, all you have to do is make screw holes to make them fit. If youer motherboard doesn't come with any you'll have to buy them, you can't fabricate them yourself.

Plexiglass is sold on the internet, depending on where you live you may find different online shops. Just search "plexiglass sheets" and you should find something.

For cutting it you'll need some carpenter tools. If you have no idea of how to do this I advise you let a professional do it for you following your design.

Same as above.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*