oc 290x expected mhz?

TechnoBacon

So I got a 290x rog matrix platinum or whatever and i overclocked it to 1150 and ran valley without artifacts. Is that an expected clock rate? Im only familiar with nvidia 980 clocks and my 980 overclocks well beyond that.

So I got a 290x rog matrix platinum or whatever and i overclocked it to 1110 and ran valley without artifacts. Is that an expected clock rate? Im only familiar with nvidia 980 clocks and my 980 overclocks well beyond that.

Not completely certain, but it is similar to what my friend got on his rog 290, so it is probably where it should be.

In any case, a bad overclocked does not mean there is anything wrong with the card, and at the end of the day, the only thing that matters is the clocks that you got on your card, as that is what you are using...

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

So I got a 290x rog matrix platinum or whatever and i overclocked it to 1150 and ran valley without artifacts. Is that an expected clock rate? Im only familiar with nvidia 980 clocks and my 980 overclocks well beyond that.

each card runs differently. like my 750 ti runs at 1450, while my 7970s hit a wall at 1225. 

try pushing it further. I got my 7970s 300mhz over stock, and your card seems very high end, so it should be able to be pushed further

each card runs differently. like my 750 ti runs at 1450, while my 7970s hit a wall at 1225. 

try pushing it further. I got my 7970s 300mhz over stock, and your card seems very high end, so it should be able to be pushed further

Ill try to overvolt, my valley score was 2710, thats pretty darn close to my 980 despite it costing 200 bucks less

Ill try to overvolt, my valley score was 2710, thats pretty darn close to my 980 despite it costing 200 bucks less

Since nobody has asked this yet ..

Why did you buy a 290x when you have a 980?

PC  Specs 2022:

Spoiler
  • CPU
    AMD Ryzen R9 5900x @ 5.1GHz - Auto OC
  • Curve Optimizer Magnitude: -20
  • Motherboard
    ASUS ROG STRIX x570-F Gaming
  • RAM
                                        Kingston Fury 32GB DDR4 3200MHz 16x2GB
  • GPU
    MSI 3070 8GB Ventus 2x OC
  • Case
    LIAN LI LANCOOL MESH II Mesh RGB Black
  • Storage
    Kingston NV1 2TB M.2. NVMe
  • PSU
    Seasonic Focus GX 850w 
  • Display(s)
    MSI OPTIX MAG 251RX IPS 240hz & ASUS MG248Q Vertical 144hz & Dell 60hz
  • Cooling
    NZXT Kraken x73 360mm
  • Keyboard
    Tt eSports Meka G1
  • Mouse
    Logitech G Pro Wireless
  • Operating System
    -Windows 10 Professional 64bit

2 systems? 

Its for my brothers new system, it was cheaper than a 970 so why not. He got the card before the rest of the parts so I took it for a spin, really suprised by the valley score. Sounds like a jet engine. But my heatset blocks the noise out pretty good.

The rog card is over a 100 bucks cheaper than the other 290x cards, pricing is really wierd in Norway. The xfx 290x is the most expensive

2 systems? 

Most people only need 1 system.

That is why I asked, why get 2 systems?

He said it was for his brother's system so that makes sense to me.

But having 2 systems for himself would be illogical for me unless he was going to use it for mining or something.

PC  Specs 2022:

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    Seasonic Focus GX 850w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    NZXT Kraken x73 360mm
  • Keyboard
    Tt eSports Meka G1
  • Mouse
    Logitech G Pro Wireless
  • Operating System

Its for my brothers new system, it was cheaper than a 970 so why not. He got the card before the rest of the parts so I took it for a spin, really suprised by the valley score. Sounds like a jet engine. But my heatset blocks the noise out pretty good.

Undervolt it. Took 15*C off my 7970

Most people only need 1 system.

That is why I asked, why get 2 systems?

He said it was for his brother's system so that makes sense to me.

But having 2 systems for himself would be illogical for me unless he was going to use it for mining or something.

Sorry for double post, but a lot of people have 2 machines, one for work, another for gaming/distractions. That way you have nothing that will stop you from working when you do, and while it's off rendering or something you have another rig to play games.

I run dual systems. Granted my second system is a laptop tucked away, just plugged into a monitor and a htcp keyboard thing. Its easier to just have a whole other rig for content consumption, so it doesn't mess with whatever your doing IMO.

(Keep in mind got the laptop free, would not pay to do this)

Sorry for double post, but a lot of people have 2 machines, one for work, another for gaming/distractions. That way you have nothing that will stop you from working when you do, and while it's off rendering or something you have another rig to play games.

I run dual systems. Granted my second system is a laptop tucked away, just plugged into a monitor and a htcp keyboard thing. Its easier to just have a whole other rig for content consumption, so it doesn't mess with whatever your doing IMO.

(Keep in mind got the laptop free, would not pay to do this)

I guess so ..

I have been thinking of getting a laptop so I can sit in my sofa and play some stuff.

But I still don't think it would be necessary.

PC  Specs 2022:

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    Seasonic Focus GX 850w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    NZXT Kraken x73 360mm
  • Keyboard
    Tt eSports Meka G1
  • Mouse
    Logitech G Pro Wireless
  • Operating System

The Hawaii chip doesn't have a ton of OC headroom so you're not really going to get too far with it. Also you can't really compare the clock frequencies of two entirely different GPUs directly.

1. Overclock until the magic smoke comes out. 2. Modify until broken. 3. Fix and repeat.

4670k - 16GB - 290X - 1440p Freesync

The Hawaii chip doesn't have a ton of OC headroom so you're not really going to get too far with it. Also you can't really compare the clock frequencies of two entirely different GPUs directly.

Knew that, was only wondering if I got particularly unlucky with 1150 mhz no over volt. And if 2710 was a normal 290x score, I dont want any underperforming.

Knew that, was only wondering if I got particularly unlucky with 1150 mhz no over volt. And if 2710 was a normal 290x score, I dont want any underperforming.

I had to add like 30 mV to reach 1120 Mhz, so I'd say it's pretty good. Try to OC memory to at least 1400 if you haven't already. It will give you a nice boost. I got 2785 score at 1120/1400.

Btw, I'm curious what score do you get with your 980?

i7 9700K @ 5 GHz, ASUS DUAL RTX 3070 (OC), Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI, 2x8 HyperX Predator 3200 MHz

Both my 290xs (PowerColour PCS+, possibly binned since they have a lower quality 290x card) can hit 1200mhz core without being overvolted. I tend to run them at 1100 though, lets me keep the fans slower and frankly, 290x crossfire bosses everything.

Both my 290xs (PowerColour PCS+, possibly binned since they have a lower quality 290x card) can hit 1200mhz core without being overvolted. I tend to run them at 1100 though, lets me keep the fans slower and frankly, 290x crossfire bosses everything.

My valley scores drop off after 1100 mhz, but i dont see any artifacting until 1200mhz. My best score so far is 2721.1200mhz gave me 2430 which isnt all that great. What does one of your 290xes score?

My valley scores drop off after 1100 mhz, but i dont see any artifacting until 1200mhz. My best score so far is 2721.1200mhz gave me 2430 which isnr isnt all that great. What does one of your 290xes score?

2987 @ 1210mhz @ 1500mhz overvolted to +300

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

2987 @ 1210mhz @ 1500mhz overvolted to +300

Thats almost as good as my 980, wow

my 290x got a max of 1115mhz core , 1500mhz mem , where as my new gtx 980 is at 1554mhz core , and 2000mhz mem ... 

Please quote me or tag me if your trying to talk to me , I might see it through all my other notifications ^_^

Spoiler
Spoiler
the current list of dead cards is as follows 2 evga gtx 980ti acx 2.0 , 1 evga gtx 980 acx 2.0 1600mhz core 2100mhz ram golden chip card ... failed hardcore , 1 290x that caught fire , 1 hd 7950 .

may you all rest in peaces in the giant pc in the sky

Well I can't get my r9 290x past 1050mhz without it artafacting. So your lucky. Lol

PCPP http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Vg96f7 CPU: Intel i7 4790K MoBo: Gigabyte Z97X S.O.C Ram: G.Skill 2x 8gb GPU: 2x AMD R9 290x in CrossFire SoundCard: Creative Sound Blaster z Case: NZXT H440 RED/BLK Storage: 2x Intel 520s 120gb Raid 0 + 2tb Seagate 7200 PSU: EVGA 1000W G2 Fully Modular Display: Samsung UHD 4K 28'' KeyBoard: Corsair K65 RGB Mouse: Cyborg R.A.T 7 Sound: Logitech z506 OS: Windows 10 TP

Well I can't get my r9 290x past 1050mhz without it artafacting. So your lucky. Lol

have you tried increasing core voltage , I had to max mine out to get stable a over 1100mhz core (heads up it'll get hot fast ;P )

Please quote me or tag me if your trying to talk to me , I might see it through all my other notifications ^_^

Spoiler
Spoiler
the current list of dead cards is as follows 2 evga gtx 980ti acx 2.0 , 1 evga gtx 980 acx 2.0 1600mhz core 2100mhz ram golden chip card ... failed hardcore , 1 290x that caught fire , 1 hd 7950 .

may you all rest in peaces in the giant pc in the sky

have you tried increasing core voltage , I had to max mine out to get stable a over 1100mhz core (heads up it'll get hot fast ;P )

The asus software lets me play with some other sliders, is it safe to max them?