Boot Drive Issue

Toxicable

Hey guys, so a weird thing has been happening lately. Basically when I start my computer it will always try boot off my second HDD not SSD, so I though ok simple problem and I went into the boot list in the BIOS but to my surprise there's no SSD there, only the HDD. But if I press the select boot drive when I start up the SSD is in that list, so idk hey.
I thought it might be a loose wired problem since it started happening after i made some adjustments in the case but  ive tried moving the cables around with the cables and no change.

-snip-

Don't forget to follow your own topics,

I'm not a 100% sure what is happening but it may be signs of the ssd beginning to fail so I would back up any important stuff you've got on there just in case.

An AMD cpu has no place in a solely gaming build, end of.

I3 4150, Intel HD graphics, corsair CX750M, 4gb ram, Asus H81M-E, corsair 230T, Intel stock cooler WD Green 2TB Gigabyte 550TI

Why you shouldn't trust Gpu or Cpu boss Click on this I dare you!

Don't forget to follow your own topics,

I'm not a 100% sure what is happening but it may be signs of the ssd beginning to fail so I would back up any important stuff you've got on there just in case.

Well it's about 3 weeks old so that kinda sucks if it is failing

Well it's about 3 weeks old so that kinda sucks if it is failing

I do doubt it would be failing as ssd's do just kind of go all at once, backing it up was just a word of warning.

An AMD cpu has no place in a solely gaming build, end of.

I3 4150, Intel HD graphics, corsair CX750M, 4gb ram, Asus H81M-E, corsair 230T, Intel stock cooler WD Green 2TB Gigabyte 550TI

Why you shouldn't trust Gpu or Cpu boss Click on this I dare you!

I do doubt it would be failing as ssd's do just kind of go all at once, backing it up was just a word of warning.

Yeah fair enough, I think it is somehow a connection issue but that fact that I can still get it off the non bios boot selector confuses me

some BIOSes split up their boot priorities into subdivisions, are you sure you just arent mistaken?

example:

- not split boot order:

- - ODD1

- - ODD2

- - HDD

- - SSD

- - portable media

- - network

- split boot order:

- - optical drive

- - internal hard drive

- - removable devices

- - network

where every option also has a subcategory of the different plugged in devices.

when going in optical:

- ODD1

- ODD2

when going in internal hard drives

- HDD

- SSD

i hope this explanation sorta makes sense, and that you're simply mistaken, as it'd be a bummer if brand new hardware would be dead.

snip

There is only 1 boot priority option in the bios and im pretty sure I remember it being in there before this started happening. The SSH just isn't on the list

snip

Ohwait, I just doubled checked that... Turns out there is another option is have multiple boot order setups? kinda weird if you ask me. But yeah that sorted it. Thanks for the advise :D

There is only 1 boot priority option in the bios and im pretty sure I remember it being in there before this started happening. The SSH just isn't on the list

this might be a rather dumb question, but what happens if you swap the drives around, plug the SSD in the connector the HDD was on, and the other way around.

EDIT: that ninja post edit :P

Hey guys, so a weird thing has been happening lately. Basically when I start my computer it will always try boot off my second HDD not SSD, so I though ok simple problem and I went into the boot list in the BIOS but to my surprise there's no SSD there, only the HDD. But if I press the select boot drive when I start up the SSD is in that list, so idk hey.

I thought it might be a loose wired problem since it started happening after i made some adjustments in the case but  ive tried moving the cables around with the cables and no change.

Hey Toxicable,

As @manikyath explained, some BIOS versions have different boot priority settings with categories. If all else fails, a simple reset of the CMOS should fix whatever problem occurs (if it's not hardware-based).

@manikyath depends on how BIOS treats the boot drive (if it chooses it by the SATA slot or the drive's specific model). Most of the times you would have to reconfigure the boot order if the system refuses to boot. Usually, even if the HDD is before the SSD, BIOS won't find any bootable files on it and continue on with the SSD. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/