Based on rumours what I should upgrade from FX-8350? (Skylake vs Zen)

Go to solution Solved by PlayModeOn,

But yea I think I'll just wait until Zen comes out. Thanks for the replies guys.

Hello,

EDIT: The title is suppose to be "what should I..." not "what I should...", sorry.

I know we heard very little from Intel and AMD on their upcoming offerings. But I am looking forward to upgrading this crappy FX-8350 which already throttles at 60 Degrees Celsius and its ridiculous stock cooler spins at 7500RPM and still couldn't keep it under 60 degrees, so it throttles all the time in the summer, but in winter it is OKAY at best.

So based on what we know (from rumours and past events), do you think it is worth upgrading to Skylake over Zen? Or Zen over Skylake at the end of this year / early next year from a FX-8350.

I am looking forward for an Intel build since I bought this FX-8350, I promise to myself not to buy another AMD CPU ever again, but I do know back then that AMD was king after releasing their Athlon / K2 CPUs which beat out Intel. Do you think this will be the case with Zen? Or Skylake will still be superior. What do you guys think? What about DX12? 

I do gaming and a bit of Unity / Unreal development.

EDIT:

We have no clue on how Zen will perform. But I highly doubt there going to beat Intel.

Yes this is what I am thinking too. But because AMD is making big architecture changes to its CPU to be more "Intel-like" I am a bit worried that I may buy an inferior or overpriced CPU.

I bought a R9 290 (and almost a GTX 780 3GB) just before GTX 980/970 was announced, I was a bit angry because I could've waited for a couple of weeks. I don't want the same story with Skylake and Zen.

CPU AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0GHzCooling AMD StockMotherboard AsRock 970 Extreme4RAM 8GB (2x4) DDR3 1333MHz GPU AMD Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-XCase Fractal Define R5 Titanium 

Storage Samsung 120GB 840 EVO | PSUThermaltake Litepower 600WOS Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Upgrading to - Intel i7 - New motherboard - Corsair AIO H110i GT watercooler -  1000W PSU

I would just go for Skylake. That's what I'm going to do anyways.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

Your best bet is skylake right now.

I would just go for Skylake. That's what I'm going to do anyways.

Cool. This year yes?

CPU AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0GHzCooling AMD StockMotherboard AsRock 970 Extreme4RAM 8GB (2x4) DDR3 1333MHz GPU AMD Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-XCase Fractal Define R5 Titanium 

Storage Samsung 120GB 840 EVO | PSUThermaltake Litepower 600WOS Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Upgrading to - Intel i7 - New motherboard - Corsair AIO H110i GT watercooler -  1000W PSU

Hello,

EDIT: The title is suppose to be "what should I..." not "what I should...", sorry.

I know we heard very little from Intel and AMD on their upcoming offerings. But I am looking forward to upgrading this crappy FX-8350 which already throttles at 60 Degrees Celsius and its ridiculous stock cooler spins at 7500RPM and still couldn't keep it under 60 degrees, so it throttles all the time in the summer, but in winter it is OKAY at best.

So based on what we know (from rumours and past events), do you think it is worth upgrading to Skylake over Zen? Or Zen over Skylake at the end of this year / early next year from a FX-8350.

I am looking forward for an Intel build since I bought this FX-8350, I promise to myself not to buy another AMD CPU ever again, but I do know back then that AMD was king after releasing their Athlon / K2 CPUs which beat out Intel. Do you think this will be the case with Zen? Or Skylake will still be superior. What do you guys think? What about DX12? 

I do gaming and a bit of Unity / Unreal development.

We have no clue on how Zen will perform. But I highly doubt there going to beat Intel.

Cool. This year yes?

Yes, I think Skylake is coming sometime late summer if I'm not mistaken. I remember reading an article that Intel would start shipping out Z170 chipsets to motherboard manufacturers sometime in May, so I don't think Skylake is too far off.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

Wait until the cpu is release first then make your decision. Right now there are only rumor and you should never buy based on rumor alone. Also don't shop according to brand.

Mainboard:ROG-STRIX-B360-G-GAMING/Cpu:I5 8400 /Gpu: Galax RTX 2070 /Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR4/ Storage:1TB HDD 2 Corsair SSD PSU : Corsair 550W/Cooling: Silverstone Air Cooler/ / Case : Corsair/Keyboard:Razer Chroma TKL/Mouse:Mionix Castor+Steelseries Qck Mass/Headphone:V Moda M100 

Quote me if you when me to reply to something. 

Yes this is what I am thinking too. But because AMD is making big architecture changes to its CPU to be more "Intel-like" I am a bit worried that I may buy an inferior or overpriced CPU.

I bought a R9 290 (and almost a GTX 780 3GB) just before GTX 980/970 was announced, I was a bit angry because I could've waited for a couple of weeks. I don't want the same story with Skylake and Zen.

Skylake will most likely use DDR4 on desktop, but zen is also rumored to use DDR4, so if you want to keep your current ram, broadwell is you best bet. Skylake will lauch quite a bit sooner than zen, so depends when you want to upgrade. I personnaly don't expect zen to beat intel, but if they are within strickin distance of intel, they might be very competitive.

Skylake will most likely use DDR4 on desktop, but zen is also rumored to use DDR4, so if you want to keep your current ram, broadwell is you best bet. Skylake will lauch quite a bit sooner than zen, so depends when you want to upgrade. I personnaly don't expect zen to beat intel, but if they are within strickin distance of intel, they might be very competitive.

Yes DDR4 is an issue for me. I think for this upgrade I have to downgrade from 8GB DDR3 to 4GB DDR4 because they cost a lot.

But oh well, the games I play don't use system ram that heavily though, mostly just GPU VRAM. And ram is quick dirty to upgrade anyway.

I will be giving my FX-8350 and motherboard (and my old R9 270X dusting in the garage) to my dad so I hope he can maybe help me afford some ram.

Yes DDR4 is an issue for me. I think for this upgrade I have to downgrade from 8GB DDR3 to 4GB DDR4 because they cost a lot.

But oh well, the games I play don't use system ram that heavily though, mostly just GPU VRAM. And ram is quick dirty to upgrade anyway.

I will be giving my FX-8350 and motherboard (and my old R9 270X dusting in the garage) to my dad so I hope he can maybe help me afford some ram.

Why not wait and see what zen offers?  Price should be competitive and your 8350 still is sufficient at gaming.  Also you have a 290, so if your 1080p gaming you should be fine until then, dx 12 will give 290 and 290x a little longer life. 

AMD 1700X// Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 5 // Geil DDR4 3200 // Gigabyte Aorus 1080//  Samsung 128GB 840 Pro SSD(OS)// Seagate Barracuda 1TB(games&docs)//

Cool Master Stacker 935//  LG Ultrawide 34UM95//  XSPC 360 Liquid Cooling//

Corsair K70 Mechanical Keyboard//  Corsair M65RGB//  Xonar DX//  Audio Technica ATH A900X// Blue Snowball Mic(Tandy POP filter)  

I agree with Deedot78 above.  Zen should be a monster of a chip, though and fairly powerful, but Skylake will be out sooner.  I'd say we can expect Zen to not be competing directly with Skylake, but more so competing in performance to Haswell / Haswell-e, but with an 8-core variant and -likely- an 8-core that's well below $1000, so Zen should be competitive as a price to performance chip, but it'll come out later than Skylake, so eh.  I'd say wait and see if you can.  Or pull a me and sell your soul to try and upgrade twice.

Right now, based on architecture leaks it would appear that the full sized Zen will be similar to a 5960x in almost every way, but with less L3 cache, and a 14nm process node. Due to the problems with 14nm and density, it looks like the Zen architecture is modular, with 2 side by side quad-core modules, with a total of 16threads. the architecture is being dubbed phenom 3, but its so similar to Intel that 2016 might be really interesting. then again, Zen pricing might reflect the performance increase, so upgrading to an intel cpu right now is not a bad choice, although the 8350 isn't a turd to be flushed just yet (not until next year).

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

I would say skylake, but right now I'm interested in amds new APUs because of the ability to crossfire with a dedicated gpu

The weird kid in the corner eating glue
“People think that I must be a very strange person. This is not correct. I have the heart of a small boy. It is in a glass jar on my desk.” - Stephen King

Thanks for the replies, I will upgrade near the end of December 2015 and Skylake is said to release before the end of the year so Skylake will came out before I buy any CPU so hopefully we'll get more info on AMD Zen and ofcourse Skylake will be already out so we'll know the performance then.

Right now, based on architecture leaks it would appear that the full sized Zen will be similar to a 5960x in almost every way, but with less L3 cache, and a 14nm process node. Due to the problems with 14nm and density, it looks like the Zen architecture is modular, 2 side by side quad-core modules, with a total of 16threads. the architecture is being dubbed phenom 3, but its so similar to Intel that 2016 might be really interesting.

2016 will be the year where we all win endlessly.  I am still feverishly excited when it comes to all the new AMD, Intel, and nVidia offerings.  16nm GPU's are next in line, and then PCIE-ssds gaining momentum, fiber expansion throughout many U.S. towns, but that's a different story entirely.  2015 - 2016 = The year I lose anything in my wallet.

get a good cooler, overclock your cpu & wait til skylake drops and we get more information on zen (which is looking extremely promising right now)

then you have a good cooler for your future cpu choice already

this is the best option for you as a consumer, since it fixes your heat/noise issue with the stock cooler (why did you keep with stock cooler tbh)

so if you want to keep your current ram, broadwell is you best bet.

this is a load of crap, broadwell was a flop

Abigail: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.5GHz 1.170v / EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti Classified  / ASRock Z97 Extreme6 / Corsair H110i GT / 4x4Gb G.Skill Ares 1866MHz @ CAS9 / Samsung 840 EVO 250Gb SSD / Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM / NZXT H440 Blue / EVGA SuperNOVA 750w G2

Peripherals: BenQ XL2411z 24" 144hz 1080p / ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz 1080p / Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD650 / Schiit Audio Modi 2 / Magni 2 / Blue Yeti Blackout

get a good cooler, overclock your cpu & wait til skylake drops and we get more information on zen (which is looking extremely promising right now)

then you have a good cooler for your future cpu choice already

this is the best option for you as a consumer, since it fixes your heat/noise issue with the stock cooler (why did you keep with stock cooler tbh)

this is a load of crap, broadwell was a flop

I literally only get money from lunch money, and only profit $10 per week lol. So I cannot buy any hardware until the end of the year because then I will be short on money.

Currently have $230, every week I'll get $10. Then $300 as Christmas present. I upgrade ONE of my parts every christmas (whether it be storage, CPU, GPU, etc). I predict by the end of the year I'll get $700.

Here in Australia an i7 4790K is $475 and a SLI-certified motherboard is ~$200 so at the end of the year I need atleast $675 and that does not include DDR4 that these upcoming CPUs will only use.

I literally only get money from lunch money, and only profit $10 per week lol. So I cannot buy any hardware until the end of the year because then I will be short on money.

Currently have $230, every week I'll get $10. Then $300 as Christmas present. I upgrade ONE of my parts every christmas (whether it be storage, CPU, GPU, etc). I predict by the end of the year I'll get $700.

Here in Australia an i7 4790K is $475 and a SLI-certified motherboard is ~$200 so at the end of the year I need atleast $675 and that does not include DDR4 that these upcoming CPUs will only use.

you can buy a 30$ cooler (it can't be that much more expensive in aus)

the 212evo is and will be plenty for the zen/skylake cpus and your current 8350 ~_~

Abigail: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.5GHz 1.170v / EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti Classified  / ASRock Z97 Extreme6 / Corsair H110i GT / 4x4Gb G.Skill Ares 1866MHz @ CAS9 / Samsung 840 EVO 250Gb SSD / Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM / NZXT H440 Blue / EVGA SuperNOVA 750w G2

Peripherals: BenQ XL2411z 24" 144hz 1080p / ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz 1080p / Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD650 / Schiit Audio Modi 2 / Magni 2 / Blue Yeti Blackout

Colorful has already revealed their Z170 motherboard. It may be sooner than September.

Runs FX 8350 on stock cooler and complains about throttling...

A Cooler Master TX3 could barely get it at 55 degrees Celsius, so I am just saving money and wait for an upgrade.

I wanted to also get a AIO 280mm so I don't want to buy a CPU cooler (even if its cheap) and then throw it away. Because I will be short on money by the end of the year.

I think it's worth picking up a $30 Hyper 212 EVO as soon as possible and getting those temperatures under control a bit better.

Zen is an utter wildcard. It would be nice if it came out of nowhere and was amazing, but we'll have to just wait and see. The only rumor I've even heard is that it will have a lot of cores. :P

On the other hand, it would be dumb to suggest Skylake won't at least be everything Haswell is. We don't know much about Skylake, but smart money says it will be at least a marginal improvement over an already dominant platform.

If you want to be certain, wait until benchmarks are out for both products.

Hmm, with this being the situation, waiting for Zen or until we get actual infomation on it wouldn't be a terrible idea. Your current rig is far from bad, the 8350 is a bit behind the times, but really it is not like it makes games unplayable. I'd wait it out and make the decision later. DDR4 should be cheaper too.

you can buy a 30$ cooler (it can't be that much more expensive in aus)

the 212evo is and will be plenty for the zen/skylake cpus and your current 8350 ~_~

Hyper 212 is $45 here lol.

I am on 100% money-saving mode - I must not spend anything lol.

At the moment I am only playing light games such as CSGO and Dirt 3 so I am not that concern about the throttling, I still get 100+ FPS.

2015 we'll get a lot of intense AAA games - Arkham Knight, Project Cars, Metal Gear Solid 5. I want to prepare my PC for those games starting in 2016.