Fire Door

nerdyrcdriver

So my friends have been arguing with university housing over this door. We are in rooms near the first floor stairwell. There is a door from the outside into the stairwell and a door from the stairwell to the hallway our rooms are in. The second door is a fire door held open by an electromagnet. In the event of a fire it will automatically close to prevent the spread of fire. The hallway is a common area with tables, chairs, and couches to hang out at. We closed the fire door during the winter because assholes from upstairs held the exterior door open letting the cold air blow into the hallway and into our rooms if our doors are open. Due to physics the cold air doesn't really travel up to the higher floors so they don't have to deal with it. The building is old an still has single pane windows along the entire hallway (like the whole wall is windows to view the lake), so it is very hard to keep the heat in especially when all of the cold air is rushing in. If we close the door and then go into the stairwell later, there is a huge temperature difference that proves keeping the door helps keep the hallway warm. 

But the RA's and their bosses say that it is a fire hazard to close that door. Like WTF? That doesn't makes sense. It closes itself during a fire. We aren't even supposed to use that door during a fire. We are supposed to let it close and use another one a little ways down the hall so we aren't in the way of the stairwell. My ra is cool about it and says "fuck the system keep it closed" but he is being overruled by his boss. Why is this so hard for them to understand? The emergency map in our rooms even shows that door should be closed during a fire. 

Honestly don't worry to much, just do your time and be done with it. Live on your own and use the door for beer pong

Honestly don't worry to much, just do your time and be done with it. Live on your own and use the door for beer pong

"Steal the door off it's hinges and use it as a beer pong table" is what you meant to say.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

"Steal the door off it's hinges and use it as a beer pong table" is what you meant to say.

my mistake, also right the rules on the table so everyone knows them, drunk fools everywhere.

That has been done with the bathroom doors from our rooms.

I have thought about blocking the electromagnet. I just looked at it again, and there is a label on it specifically saying that it is a closing fire door rated for 1hr before it can be burned through in normal conditions. 

I have thought about blocking the electromagnet. I just looked at it again, and there is a label on it specifically saying that it is a closing fire door rated for 1hr before it can be burned through in normal conditions.

i think you would just need to complete to circuit to make it think its closed.

i think you would just need to complete to circuit to make it think its closed.

That would probably be considered vandalism and there is a camera pointed right at it. I meant just covering the metal part on the door with a thick plastic cap or something. 

Better yet, steal it, set it on fire in the middle of the night, outside (obviously) somewhere.

That would probably be considered vandalism and there is a camera pointed right at it. I meant just covering the metal part on the door with a thick plastic cap or something.

ski mask? You grew up in a good neighborhood suspect :P

Better yet, steal it, set it on fire in the middle of the night, outside (obviously) somewhere.

see if it last a hour, call the company and complain when it doesn't.

ski mask? You grew up in a good neighborhood suspect :P

Actually, there is no camera that points in the hallway. So it would be super easy to cover up the camera in question if needed. Still not gonna happen. 

Actually, there is no camera that points in the hallway. So it would be super easy to cover up the camera in question if needed. Still not gonna happen.

yeah, i know, not worth it. Your ra probably has more pull than you and his boss shut him down, unless you go higher up, if they care. Just suffer buy a mini heater or fan. Dont listen to me i got kicked out of a college i didn't go to.

yeah, i know, not worth it. Your ra probably has more pull than you and his boss shut him down, unless you go higher up, if they care. Just suffer buy a mini heater or fan. Dont listen to me i got kicked out of a college i didn't go to.

Can't have heaters of any kind (another fire hazard). The hallway heaters are pretty old, but would work good enough if there wasn't cold air blowing in and if the windows weren't single pane. 

Also, the school library has signs on the handicap automatic doors that say something like,  "Please don't use these unless absolutely necessary. These doors stay open too long and the library staff get cold". 

see if it last a hour, call the company and complain when it doesn't.

And to make sure it doesn't last, thermite.

Can't have heaters of any kind (another fire hazard). The hallway heaters are pretty old, but would work good enough if there wasn't cold air blowing in and if the windows weren't single pane. 

Also, the school library has signs on the handicap automatic doors that say something like,  "Please don't use these unless absolutely necessary. These doors stay open too long and the library staff get cold". 

This kinda crap, is why I prefer online school. Moronic ass dorm policies and shit. They'd probably have a heart attack over the jumped of wires behind my three monitors.

This kinda crap, is why I prefer online school. Moronic ass dorm policies and shit. They'd probably have a heart attack over the jumped of wires behind my three monitors.

They don't really do much about that. I have a DIY built power supply for electrical prototyping on my desk. It kinda looks like a bomb. As long as you don't have something that isn't allowed and you use power strips with a fuse in them you are good. 

Also, the school library has signs on the handicap automatic doors that say something like, "Please don't use these unless absolutely necessary. These doors stay open too long and the library staff get cold".

wear some sking or hunter under garments, they should keep you warm and breathe when you start to get hot. Also the chemical heater packs for camping of really horrible. There's heated blankets you plug in, seen people use those in class, teacher bought one next day lol.

And to make sure it doesn't last, thermite.

i highly recommend any chemistry major make some. Its a nice exothermic reaction.

wear some sking or hunter under garments, they should keep you warm and breathe when you start to get hot. Also the chemical heater packs for camping of really horrible. There's heated blankets you plug in, seen people use those in class, teacher bought one next day lol.

It shouldn't really be necessary to wear under armor in the dorms while the assholes causing it to be cold can be in T shirts and shorts upstairs. 

It shouldn't really be necessary to wear under armor in the dorms while the assholes causing it to be cold can be in T shirts and shorts upstairs.

it isn't necessary for most the crap you do at school, adapt and survive. You may have a dick boss that likes it 60f in the office or work at a factory thats 110f while you weld water heaters together. It is what it is.

Maybe you can change rooms?

it isn't necessary for most the crap you do at school, adapt and survive. You may have a dick boss that likes it 60f in the office or work at a factory thats 110f while you weld water heaters together. It is what it is.

Maybe you can change rooms?

I will be in a bigger room (actually closer to the door) next year. I was just saying that its dumb that we can't close the door to keep it warm. I know the guy in charge of maintenance and I will probably just talk to him and see what he says. I know he walked by with a thermal camera and decided to upgrade to newer at least double pane windows to help retain the heat better. Maybe he can walk by and see that our floor is way colder than others because of that door. 

Granted, it is pretty much the end of the school year and it is in the 70s-80s now so it doesn't matter. But next year it will. 

I will be in a bigger room (actually closer to the door) next year. I was just saying that its dumb that we can't close the door to keep it warm. I know the guy in charge of maintenance and I will probably just talk to him and see what he says. I know he walked by with a thermal camera and decided to upgrade to newer at least double pane windows to help retain the heat better. Maybe he can walk by and see that our floor is way colder than others because of that door.

Granted, it is pretty much the end of the school year and it is in the 70s-80s now so it doesn't matter. But next year it will.

try to move off campus its a lot of fun and great for growing up if you can afford it.

try to move off campus its a lot of fun and great for growing up if you can afford it.

Not an option for next year. Plus this isn't really that big of an issue. Its just really dumb. I will probably be off campus junior and senior year as long as I am not an RA. Off campus housing is often cheaper anyway.