Valve removes paid Mod's

Dominik.AT

not shure, if this is the right Forum..

As I just read on The Verge, they "missed the mark pretty badly."

A few days after it introduced a new system in which Steam users could pay for game mods, video game developer and publisher Valve is removing the feature, in the face of widespread criticism from angry players. In a post on Steam's Workshop, Valve's Alden Kroll said the team at Valve "didn't understand exactly what we were doing" by introducing an option for mod-makers to charge for their creations, and that the company "missed the mark pretty badly."

Valve first made paid mods available for Bethesda's The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim last week. Kroll said Valve's main goals were to "allow mod makers the opportunity to work on their mods full time if they wanted to," and to "encourage developers to provide better support to their mod communities." But while the company says its intentions were to support the community, it "underestimated the differences between our previously successful revenue sharing models, and the addition of paid mods to Skyrim's workshop."

Users who purchased mods already will be refunded the full amount. Valve hasn't completely ruled out going back to the concept of paid mods — Kroll says the company believes "there's a useful feature somewhere here" — but says that "stepping into an established, years old modding community in Skyrim was probably not the right place to start iterating."

Source:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/27/8505899/valve-steam-paid-mods-removed-canceled

For me personally i would mostly agree to Linus' statement on the WAN-Show:
50% for the Creator

25% to the Game Makers

25% to Steam

would be way better.

But I also see the Proglem, that every little Texture-Modder would try to get some money for his "work".. which would land in tonns of Paid-Mods. And noone would buy them.

Also the Threshold of ( 100 $?) is to high.

Overall - the Idea is'nt that bad. But Mods should be Mods.
If they'r good at their work, the always can switch to a profit-oriented Stand-Alone Game. (such as CS or Day-Z)

LANinfo.at - Austrias LAN-Party Portal