A stupid question from a stupid person

Fez760

ok this is probably a stupid question but if i use my laptop with a Ethernet cable connected to my new desktop  can i get internet i know i know its a stupid question 

1_06.jpg

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

ok this is probably a stupid question but if i use my laptop with a Ethernet cable connected to my new desktop  can i get internet i know i know its a stupid question 

You can but you need a 2-way ethernet cable (no idea what it is called, I think it is crossover cable or something). I did it when I first got my desktop running which didn't have wifi until I bought a USB stick. I can't remember the settings that were used and also forgot to mention that the laptop would need to be connected to your wifi :Pjk

Both of my PC's ran Windows 7 so not sure what you would need to do on XP but there will be tutorials online.

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Depending on what phone you have you could use USB tethering, but the idea suggested in the original post would not work.

Quote me to get a reply!

Are you trying to get internet from the computer to the laptop?  

If you are just connecting 2 computers via Ethernet you are creating a LAN network.  Those 2 computers can talk to each other.  If you want to connect them to the internet (WAN) You have to connect that LAN to the internet.  If one of the computers is connected to the internet you should be able to configure the other computer to connect through the computer that is connected.  I'm not 100% sure on how to do that but i'm fairly certain that's possible.

But you do have to have something that is connected to the internet.  The internet is not this magical thing that just appears.

01010010 01101111 01100010  01001101 01100001 01100011 01010010 01100001 01100101

Depending on what phone you have you could use USB tethering, but the idea suggested in the original post would not work.

My idea?

Also to the OP this may be worth a read, just found it quick so haven't gone through it - http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-share-your-laptops-internet-access-with-ano.html

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

No it's not. But you didn't provide us with a lot of info. So I am going to guess, your laptop is connected over WiFi and you want internet on your desktop. Easiest way is to bridge connections.

You can but you need a 2-way ethernet cable (no idea what it is called, I think it is crossover cable or something). I did it when I first got my desktop running which didn't have wifi until I bought a USB stick. I can't remember the settings that were used and also forgot to mention that the laptop would need to be connected to your wifi :Pjk

Both of my PC's ran Windows 7 so not sure what you would need to do on XP but there will be tutorials online.

Nowdays with Auto MDI/MDIX you don't need to worry about straight or cross.

No it's not. But you didn't provide us with a lot of info. So I am going to guess, your laptop is connected over WiFi and you want internet on your desktop. Easiest way is to bridge connections.

Nowdays with Auto MDI/MDIX you don't need to worry about straight or cross.

Ahh brilliant, that would have been useful information about 2 years ago lol *writes it down*

i hooked them up through an Ethernet cable and my laptop signal strength Fair and i believe 150mb/s it make the desktop say Limited connectivity and its transfer rate is 10mb/s

On laptop :

1. Make sure LAN IP/DNS set to auto

2. Right click properties on your Wireless Connection, set internet sharing network to Local Area Connection x (that connect to your desktop)

On desktop :

1. Make sure LAN IP/DNS set to auto, run ipconfig /renew to get a new IP address

2. It should work!