Why is my CPU so hot?

Projectduckhq

Okay, so recently I have talked to my friends about over clocking my amd 7700k and they said it should be fine, as long as I used an aftermarket cooler, because the cooler they give you is crap. So I bought a cooler master hyper evo 212 and installed it. i then got hwmonitor because ever since when i got core temp, like a week after I built my pc, it always reported temperatures like 5 C which is impossible for what I am doing. On stand by, it will be at 50C but when I play GTA V or run prime 95, which require 100% cpu power, my temperatures go to 80 C. The maximum operating temperature according to AMD is 72.5 C. What could be the reason for my cpu being overheated so much? (this by the way, with the cpu at factory clock, no over clocking has occurred yet) My cooler does also have two fans (one sucking air into heat sink, the other pushing it out). Finally, I have a micro atx tower, and everything is pretty crowded in it. Could that be the reason why? 

I didnt read all this but its hot ;d 

Project Redline: 

♦CPU: i7-5820k  ♦CPU Cooler: Kraken x61 ♦Mobo: MSI X99A SLI ♦RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4x4GB 3200mhz ♦GPU: Evga 980Ti Hybrid ♦Case: NZXT H440 ♦SSD: Samsung 850EVO 500GB ♦HDD: WD BLUE 1TB 7200rpm ♦Display: 1280 x 1024

Do you have good airflow ? Is your pc clean or full of dust ?

Maybe try reapplying thermal compound

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Yeah, I remember installing the EVO in my brothers computer. You have to put a scary amount of force on it to mount properly. I thought I was going to break the CPU... but I checked forums like this and that's how everyone says it is.

Did you clean the cpu properly? applied new thermal paste? mounted the cooler properly?

Okay, so recently I have talked to my friends about over clocking my amd 7700k and they said it should be fine, as long as I used an aftermarket cooler, because the cooler they give you is crap. So I bought a cooler master hyper evo 212 and installed it. i then got hwmonitor because ever since when i got core temp, like a week after I built my pc, it always reported temperatures like 5 C which is impossible for what I am doing. On stand by, it will be at 50C but when I play GTA V or run prime 95, which require 100% cpu power, my temperatures go to 80 C. The maximum operating temperature according to AMD is 72.5 C. What could be the reason for my cpu being overheated so much? (this by the way, with the cpu at factory clock, no over clocking has occurred yet) My cooler does also have two fans (one sucking air into heat sink, the other pushing it out). Finally, I have a micro atx tower, and everything is pretty crowded in it. Could that be the reason why? 

Are you using the stock thermal paste?  Or something else?

Yeah, I remember installing the EVO in my brothers computer. You have to put a scary amount of force on it to mount properly. I thought I was going to break the CPU... but I checked forums like this and that's how everyone says it is.

At the time of me writing this, you (hilariously) have exactly 212 posts!

I don't always use Vessel.... but when I do, it's because of Scrapyard Wars.

make sure you removed the plastic cover from the cooler's base ;D

your case may have bad airflow too.

Main rig. Updated :D CPU: FX8350 @stock Cooler: Corsair h110 Motherboard: Ga-990fxa-ud5 Memory: Corsair Vengance 8Gigs 1866Mhz GPU: MSI GTX 970 SLI (blower cooler)  PSU: Cooler Master Silent pro 850w SSD: Corsair Force GT 60Gb HDD: WD 500 Caviar blue Case: Thermaltake core V71 Fan controler: NZXT Sentry

Secondary PC: CPU: i5 4670k @stock Cooler: Thermaltake NIC L/31 Motherboard: Asus Z97I-PLUS Memory: Corsair Vengance 8Gigs 2133Mhz GPU: ZOTAC GTX 780 (Titan cooler) PSU: Antec 520m Pro SSD: Corsair Force GT 60Gb HDD: WD 500 Caviar blue & WD 2TB Green Case: Thermaltake core V1

Check the air circulation is proper inside your case. Change the thermal paste in CPU.

Check to see if it's mounted right and if you have thermal paste applied properly.

Too much will basically heat your cpu instead of cool it, but you also want to be sure it's spread out thinly and evenly. The grain of rice trick works most of the time, and I recommend Antec Diamond or Arctic Silver 5.

Okay, so yes, I am using the stock paste that corsair gave me, I have mounted it properly, I am completely sure of that, Airflow is very low in my case because everything is so crammed, and I have applied thermal paste correctly, (and yes i took of the plastic cover off of the heat sink). I am planning to just buy a new case (i found a slightly big mid tower that should work with all the stuff I have) and when I order that, I am also planning to order arctic silver, as maybe its the thermal paste. Any other suggestions? 

Heat is simple, it just spreads from the source outwards. Either you have an erroneous reading, or somewhere along the way heat isn't flowing easily.

The heat is generated in the CPU and makes it to the metal heatspreader that your heatsink is mounted on top of. To achieve good flow at this thermal joint you'll want to have a thermal compound of some sort. It is very easy to have too much of this compound however. Once you have proper mating at this thermal joint the heat flows into the heatsink and is transferred into the surrounding air. To speed this process most heatsink have a fan to move the air over the fins. The air that those fans move must come from and go to somewhere, so that's where case fans come in. They bring in cool air and exhaust hot air assuming of course they aren't blocked.

If any spot along the way has insufficient flow the heat will build up and your components will get quite hot.

I suspect you have either not applied thermal compound or applied far too much. While the importance of going all fancy artisan mode is VASTLY overstated by most people doing it basically right is pretty important.

Here's a decent example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hNgFNH7zhQ

1. Overclock until the magic smoke comes out. 2. Modify until broken. 3. Fix and repeat.

4670k - 16GB - 290X - 1440p Freesync