Looking to Future-Proof

gamma032

Hey there. I bought my PC 2 years ago and I've built up around ~$800 AUD for a major upgrade but I'm not entirely sure what direction I should be looking in.

Here's the PC build w/ current specs: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/F2j7qs

I'm running 3 1080p monitors, two on VGA and one on HDMI.

I was leaning towards getting one of the new AMD GPU's coming out at Christmas but I'm not entirely sure it's the best option. Any opinions?

-You can't future proof. Trying to do so results in you wasting money for no reason.

With that out of the way, the only thing that that build might need is a better graphics card, but since you already have 2 270Xs you wouldn't be gaining a lot of performance unless you went for a 295x2 or a titan x, which I don't recommend doing in your position. You should wait a couple of months and see what amd brings to the table.

Everything else frankly is pretty new and doesn't need upgrading at all.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Future proofing is bad in my opinion because newer better parts will always be released later, you shouldn't crossfire 270X. Instead crossfire higher end card like R9 290X, why 2 separated SSD? 60GB and 240GB?

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

Buy a new amd gpu when they come out and sell the both 270x.

270x crossfire is pretty bad .

I have heard the complete oposite. I have run it before when my friend when out of down I used his card just because I could. And it worked great. 

Future proofing is bad in my opinion because newer better parts will always be released later, you shouldn't crossfire 270X. Instead crossfire higher end card like R9 290X, why 2 separated SSD? 60GB and 240GB?

I was originally only running one 270x, but I won some store credit that I had to spend in a year so I just went and bought another one. I have two separate SSD's because again, I originally only had the 60 but I had a huge storage problem so I just moved everything over. This is probably going to be the last major upgrade I do to this build until I just build a new one a fair number of years down the track.  

I have heard the complete oposite. I have run it before when my friend when out of down I used his card just because I could. And it worked great. 

The problem is that you have r9 290 like performance but you are limited to 2 GB vram which is pointless.

I was originally only running one 270x, but I won some store credit that I had to spend in a year so I just went and bought another one. I have two separate SSD's because again, I originally only had the 60 but I had a huge storage problem so I just moved everything over. This is probably going to be the last major upgrade I do to this build until I just build a new one a fair number of years down the track.  

Why not upgrading to single stronger GPU?

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold