What happens if the PSU fan dies? At what temp is it considered bad to run at?

Dionyz

I been looking all over google, and I get many different answers, so I wanted to know from people that actually know what exactly happens when the fan dies on power supply.

1) Does it auto turn off at high temperatures?

2) Does it catch on fire at high temperatures?

3) Does it destroy your computer components?

If anyone wants to do this for science please tell me what results you get. It would be awesome if Linus did an video about this. It's like this topic was never covered by anyone.

Anyways to my second question at what temperatures is it considered bad to operate for the power supply? (I am getting random numbers from the internet.)

It'll destroy your computer if it's a bad PSU, regardless of temperature.

If it overheats it'll switch off to ensure safety.

Sig under construction.

1. yes

2. maybe

3. worst situation, yes.

btw, I'm running bad FAN PSU for couple months, before finally it gives up, I didn't look at it.

it just died at one point, and cant turn it on again, until it cooldown, once my system is on then i realize the fan isn't spinning.

so there's that.

1. Yes, if the power supply has OTP built in (over-temperature protection). Otherwise no.

2. Only if it's a bad power supply without the necessary protections (most obviously OTP).

3. Only if it's a bad power supply without the necessary protections.

It'll destroy your computer if it's a bad PSU, regardless of temperature.

What is destroy, and do you have evidence of it actually destroying an computer? 

I am asking these questions because I replaced an Fan from an PSU unit, but I am not sure if its cooling it down enough, so I want to know the worst case.

At what temperature is it consider an good temperature to run at? 

If it's a seriously cheapo PSU, it might not even have such a feature. 

you should look the capacitor it used

most good psu have 85 degree rated capacitor

while higher grade psu can handle 105.

When a psu reaches a problem like that I would instantly get a new one for fear of damage occurring to my components.

An AMD cpu has no place in a solely gaming build, end of.

I3 4150, Intel HD graphics, corsair CX750M, 4gb ram, Asus H81M-E, corsair 230T, Intel stock cooler WD Green 2TB Gigabyte 550TI

Why you shouldn't trust Gpu or Cpu boss Click on this I dare you!

So far its based on rumors, but from Blebekblebek his PSU turned off from over heating, so we accomplished something.

The other two questions is still not proven. Also we still do not know what is considered bad temperature.

Edit: I would still want more results. Please post if you have any evidence or knowledge about this... Topic got moved for asking an general question?

There is no clear cutoff between a good and bad temperature. Capacitor lifespan is negatively correlated with temperature within a large span. So even though capacitors are usually rated for either 105C or 85C, it still makes a big difference whether the temperature in the power supply is 40C or 50C.

There is no clear cutoff between a good and bad temperature. Capacitor lifespan is negatively correlated with temperature within a large span. So even though capacitors are usually rated for either 105C or 85C, it still makes a big difference whether the temperature in the power supply is 40C or 50C.

So if my Power supply unit is at 47 Celsius (Under heavy load) then I should be fine because it's not reaching the 85 Celsius mark. 

But Blebekblebek said "most good psu have 85 degree rated capacitor" Degrees into Celsius will be 29.4444

Two different answers.

So if my Power supply unit is at 47 Celsius (Under heavy load) then I should be fine because it's not reaching the 85 Celsius mark. 

But Blebekblebek said "most good psu have 85 degree rated capacitor" Degrees into Celsius will be 29.4444

Two different answers.

Capacitors are rated in degrees C. Usually 105 or 85. The manufacturers are also aiming for the capacitors to be exposed to significantly lower temperatures than that, to make their lifespan long enough. Running at 85C or 105C would wear them out too quickly.

I said "most good" manufacturer, my line up brand: FSP, Corsair, SeaSonic, Cooler Master, with 80+ Bronze rated (except corsair)

yes and  temps rated with celcius, I forgot to mention (but since we are talking about temperature PSU components are labeled with celsius world wide)

my experience is true and not rumors, but that doesn't mean it will be always going to be ok, because other factors also count, like PSU age, power quality, ambient temp, and so on, my fan died because my place is really dusty those dust jamming the fan, also psu it self has been running for 5 years.

let just focus on your side, you said you change the FAN, if you really want to make sure it's going to be the same cooling performance like it was, just look at description on back of your FAN, get something similar or close to that.

(this image is just an example)

3b19eeb139.jpg

Thank you for your answers. You guys are by far the most helpful people I have ever seen on the internet. 

I done an VERY easy install. Cut the wires from dead PSU fan, and plug the other fan directly to the motherboard. 

It's an coolermaster Power supply and an 80+ rating.. (Since the PSU fan is dying you can tell it's pretty old). Possibly 7-8 years old.

Since I am buying new parts to upgrade that computer I wanted to make sure that my parts will not be destroyed if the temperature gets too high for PSU unit.