GPU Usage not stable...

Is this normal ? I have just noticed this and I am not sure if it is normal not, My GPU is running at about 45% Usage then after a bit will drop to 0%... Then back up to 45% and down to 0% and so on and so on...

dZvxThc.jpg

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build

I see Afterburner is glitching on the Fan tachometer section. Have you tried uninstalling your drivers and re-installing them?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I see Afterburner is glitching on the Fan tachometer section. Have you tried uninstalling your drivers and re-installing them?

Yes but not for this, that was for Black Ops II issues, That tachometer has always done weird things, It never really bugged me to be honest.

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

While I dont have amd cards (so I'm not as much help as something with one), I can certainly say that isn't normal.

It should be staying in the 90%+ range with little variation. Most i see can spike from 100% to 90%, back up again and repeat.

Could be drivers need to be updated, I see Catalyst 13.4 been out for a little while and you have 13.2. Although I dont know if there any issues with 13.4 and folding. 

It could also be the WU/core your running.. Do you know which Core and WU's you are running when you see this? It's possible it's the older Core_16 your running on instead of the newer Core_17 which would best utilize your gpu.

While I dont have amd cards (so I'm not as much help as something with one), I can certainly say that isn't normal.

It should be staying in the 90%+ range with little variation. Most i see can spike from 100% to 90%, back up again and repeat.

Could be drivers need to be updated, I see Catalyst 13.4 been out for a little while and you have 13.2. Although I dont know if there any issues with 13.4 and folding. 

It could also be the WU/core your running.. Do you know which Core and WU's you are running when you see this? It's possible it's the older Core_16 your running on instead of the newer Core_17 which would best utilize your gpu.

Since I had started folding it was about 50%, 

I had thought I was on the latest but I can see about updating soon,

The FaH Core is 0x16

The WU is 11292 and I don't get much info on it, It says 

You are contributing to project 11292

No information is currently available for this project.

Since I had started folding it was about 50%, 

I had thought I was on the latest but I can see about updating soon,

The FaH Core is 0x16

The WU is 11292 and I don't get much info on it, It says 

You are contributing to project 11292

No information is currently available for this project.

Looked into the issue more, looks like it's the Core 16 in combo with the 13.x drivers that is causing the issue.... So updating drivers might not do anything for proper utilization. You would have to revert to the 12.x drivers for proper utilization with Core 16 from what I can find.

http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24034

Although I cant find any issues with the Core 17 with the 13.x drivers. Every comment I've read, (Except for the beta 13.6 drivers) it working just fine and is fully utilizing the gpu's.

So I would recommend adding the "advance" flag in the client to get the Core 17.

So I would recommend adding the "advance" flag in the client to get the Core 17.

How would I go about doing that ?

How would I go about doing that ?

My bad, I should of included it in my previous post.

To add the flag, you'll need to open the F@H control software (not the web browser),

click the "configure" button,

he over to slots,

click the gpu slot and hit the edit button,

scroll down to the bottom of that windows till you see "Extra slot options" and hit "add",

Last in the name box, type "client-type" and value box type "advanced".

here a screen shot for some visual reference. (going from left to right.)62se.png

Make sure you're doing it under "GPU" and not "cpu".  

My bad, I should of included it in my previous post.

To add the flag, you'll need to open the F@H control software (not the web browser),

click the "configure" button,

he over to slots,

click the gpu slot and hit the edit button,

scroll down to the bottom of that windows till you see "Extra slot options" and hit "add",

Last in the name box, type "client-type" and value box type "advanced".

here a screen shot for some visual reference. (going from left to right.)62se.png

Make sure you're doing it under "GPU" and not "cpu".  

Thanks for getting that to me, I can't seem to type anything in edit options, it won't let me select anything, will I have to do it before I start another WU ?

Strange........  You should be able type it in without any issues if. Even if your running a WU..... So no, your shouldn't have to wait on the WU.

Although I cant think of what would be causing it.

Can you post a screen screen shot so I can see what your seeing?

It's probably something simple that i'm just forgetting and if I saw it, it'll probably just right out at me. 

This is what I am seeing

BjwtsV5.jpg

I can only exit those windows by pressing the "esc" key ....

I have no access to the 2 options in that window.

First off, are you a local admin on your PC? Second, install the newer AMD drivers. 13.4 fix a ton of issues and my Folding has been rock solid on it. Also, maybe reboot your system, something buggered with the client.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

First off, are you a local admin on your PC? Second, install the newer AMD drivers. 13.4 fix a ton of issues and my Folding has been rock solid on it. Also, maybe reboot your system, something buggered with the client.

Yes and I will and I will.

I didn't even think about the admin privileges. lol. Guess it just a habit of mine to do them automatically.

I do agree that something seams to be bugged with client as you shouldn't need to press the "esc" key to exit out of that stuff. 

Reboot and if that doesn't work, re-install the client. 

I didn't even think about the admin privileges. lol. Guess it just a habit of mine to do them automatically.

I do agree that something seams to be bugged with client as you shouldn't need to press the "esc" key to exit out of that stuff. 

Reboot and if that doesn't work, re-install the client. 

I am going to install the 13.4 drivers ( I love my internet connection when I am the only one awake ) then I will be rebooting and after I will be posting the results.

I got it ! It was one of the few things I did.. Will I see the FaHCore change to the 17 instead of 16 on the next WU ? ( One just loaded before I finished so it is on the 0x16 core.

Maybe - adding in the client type makes your client "available" to get them, but doesn't always mean you will. Lately I have been getting a bunch of core 16.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Maybe - adding in the client type makes your client "available" to get them, but doesn't always mean you will. Lately I have been getting a bunch of core 16.

Alright I am ok with the Core16, it leaves a little headroom and keeps my temps at 53° but I guess with full usage I could get double the work done, Or I could just save up and buy a new computer ... 

Also does your GPU's run at 100% all the time ? 

I am just wondering if mine should be because it isn't.. It is a lot more stable then before.

Well, have things been working out now that we "think" most to all the issues have solved?  :)

Well, have things been working out now that we "think" most to all the issues have solved?  :)

It still runs at 41-45% Usage which is fine by me, I can still use my PC with that, the usage report is still a little "bumpy" but much thinner then before, so I am happy with it.

My GPU's run at 98% to 99%, because I have the slider at Full :)

L.E.D, on 14 Jul 2013 - 04:48 AM, said:

It still runs at 41-45% Usage which is fine by me, I can still use my PC with that, the usage report is still a little "bumpy" but much thinner then before, so I am happy with it.

that's still because of the core16 I believe, I've gotten 2 of them in a row now. you will see your usage jump to 98%+ when you get a core17 WU

EDIT: there might be some sort of lack of core17 WUs now, I just got my 3rd core16.

dat ppd drop :(

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." Edgar Allan Poe

@natkoui

My GPU's run at 98% to 99%, because I have the slider at Full :)

It is on full.

that's still because of the core16 I believe, I've gotten 2 of them in a row now. you will see your usage jump to 98%+ when you get a core17 WU

EDIT: there might be some sort of lack of core17 WUs now, I just got my 3rd core16.

dat ppd drop :(

I am running on Core16 still the past 3 WU were still Core16

I am running on Core16 still the past 3 WU were still Core16

If you set up the advanced cores like warmon6 showed you, you will get core17 WUs. the only problem is that there is still a lot of core16 WUs out there and every once in a while there's a day or two when you'll only get core16. at least that's how I see it, they always travel in packs :P

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." Edgar Allan Poe

@natkoui