issues with upgrade from windows 8 to 8.1

lukky211111

ive been having some trouble trying to download the upgrade for windows 8.1 in the microsoft store. itll start then itll just stop and go back to 0% its starting to go now a little bit but im not sure if its actually going to download this time or not. the reason im upgrading is because i had to do a factory restore on this laptop.

askdjfasdf

ive been having some trouble trying to download the upgrade for windows 8.1 in the microsoft store. itll start then itll just stop and go back to 0% its starting to go now a little bit but im not sure if its actually going to download this time or not. the reason im upgrading is because i had to do a factory restore on this laptop.

let it do the job

it take a few hours to complete the upgrade

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

I personally would put my laptop near the access point in my house to ensure I am getting a top notch connection (low packet loss). Set it on a desk next to your router and check it in an hour. Microsoft servers have always been fast for me although the update is about 3.85 GB so it's going to take a little while.

let it do the job

be patient and wait a while :P

i did i waited quite a few hours actually and it went all the way to 20% and then something went wrong and it went back to 0%

askdjfasdf

I personally would put my laptop near the access point in my house to ensure I am getting a top notch connection (low packet loss). Set it on a desk next to your router and check it in an hour. Microsoft servers have always been fast for me although the update is about 3.85 GB so it's going to take a little while.

alrighty it is and has been so i dont get what its issue was but it seems to be going now im gonna be leaveing for work soon so im gonna just let it sit out and see where it goes.

askdjfasdf

it will speed up in about an hour and jump from 40% to about 80%

alrighty

askdjfasdf

If you just did a restore on the laptop, you also have the option to download the 8.1 ISO from microsoft directly and do a clean install there. The downsides to that solution being you'll have to find drivers and, if you want, reinstall software that was shipped with the laptop originally. Upsides being it'll be much faster, and the 8.1 ISO is fairly up-to-date, so unlike upgrading from 8 to 8.1, the 8.1 ISO already includes the 8.1 Update 1 as well as some other minor microsoft updates.

Instructions for downloading the ISO are here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

I've personally used this on several Windows 8 computers and the license key on the mobo firmware activates just fine. As a precaution, though, I always recommend extracting your Windows product key. With this ISO, if the 8.1 installer can't see the firmware key, it will ask you to input a product key prior to letting you get to the installation steps (drive formatting, upgrade options, etc).

Just another option to consider.

Edit: Also to point out, this method involves booting to the ISO either burned to a DVD or on a USB drive.

If you just did a restore on the laptop, you also have the option to download the 8.1 ISO from microsoft directly and do a clean install there. The downsides to that solution being you'll have to find drivers and, if you want, reinstall software that was shipped with the laptop originally. Upsides being it'll be much faster, and the 8.1 ISO is fairly up-to-date, so unlike upgrading from 8 to 8.1, the 8.1 ISO already includes the 8.1 Update 1 as well as some other minor microsoft updates.

Instructions for downloading the ISO are here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

I've personally used this on several Windows 8 computers and the license key on the mobo firmware activates just fine. As a precaution, though, I always recommend extracting your Windows product key. With this ISO, if the 8.1 installer can't see the firmware key, it will ask you to input a product key prior to letting you get to the installation steps (drive formatting, upgrade options, etc).

Just another option to consider.

Edit: Also to point out, this method involves booting to the ISO either burned to a DVD or on a USB drive.

it will speed up in about an hour and jump from 40% to about 80%

let it do the job

alrighty thank you everyone my solution was i went into the troubleshooter for the windows updates did that it fixed a few things i then restarted the download and everything went peachy keen :) thank you all for your help, and suggestions.

askdjfasdf