HD 4600 + GT 820M at the same time!?

Go to solution Solved by FruitBasketSilex,

Are you sure?? From what I've read, nVidia Optimus allows them both to be active at the same time.

Totally wrong. It allows you to switch from one to the other easily. Using the igpu for low power applications and the dgpu for more intensive ones.

My new Asus laptop arrived on Friday, and it says under display adapters, that it is using both the Intel HD4600 graphics and the Geforce GT 820M at the same time. From what I understand, the HD4600 provides the image whilst the GT 820m 'enhances' it by programming straight into the frame buffer. Is this correct? Please help me to understand how this works, it doesn't bother me, it just seems like a very strange setup :D

Edit: Maybe not strange, just a bit pointless.

no

you use one or the other 

not both

the intel for when you are on teh desktop 

the 820m when you are playing games

btw..the 820m isn't exactly for gaming

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

no

you use one or the other

not both

This, basically. Unless you feel like coding an api by yourself, for yourself. And integrating it yourself. None of which is very feasible.

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

no

you use one or the other 

not both

^

DAT.

And the 820m is alright for 720p gaming. I use it on my laptop, it does alright. :)

Are you sure?? From what I've read, nVidia Optimus allows them both to be active at the same time.

Edit: And yeah, if I was planning on gaming I would have bought a laptop with an 820m aha, I bought it for the CPU ;)

no

you use one or the other

not both

This, basically. Unless you feel like coding an api by yourself, for yourself. And integrating it yourself. None of which is very feasible.

^

DAT.

And the 820m is alright for 720p gaming. I use it on my laptop, it does alright. :)

Edit: And yeah, if I was planning on gaming I wouldn't have bought a laptop with an 820m aha, I bought it for the CPU ;)

Totally wrong. It allows you to switch from one to the other easily. Using the igpu for low power applications and the dgpu for more intensive ones.

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

I happened to have previously owned an alienware laptop with optimus, so I am quite familiar with this technology. Have a good day.

EDIT: Optimus, not options damn auto correct.

Spoiler

nah buddy. i have this HP laptop with 830m graphics. And, the guys here are right. They do not work in tandem (as in SLI) if thats what u mean. When less intensive graphical tasks(web browsing, the desktop etc.) are being run, the intel HD graphics take over and when you run demanding tasks like 3D gaming, it passes on to nVidia GPU. In fact, if u right click on the desktop and go to nvidia graphics control panel, u can actually assign which programs us the nvidia GPU and which, the HD 4600. 

Hope i helped.  :)