rubbish hdmi port on r9 290

CmdrAdrian

I have owned this card for quite a while now  and only recently needed to use the hdmi out on it, to my surprise it did not work.
I dont live in the USA and i shipped this card from there so no rma for me.
i decided to tinker whit it , i looked into the hdmi port and noticed some contacts were 'shorter than the others' meaning they were further back into the port, 

post-144181-0-42026400-1429594145.jpg

i looked at the back side of the port an they were prodding out. ( the 5 shiny bits)

post-144181-0-64915500-1429593767.jpg 

i used a jewelers screwdriver to presuade them back into the port but they still aren't all the way up. Im thinking of further dis assembly of the card.

post-144181-0-20652200-1429593940.jpg

will post more if i manage to fix it(or brick it). sorry for potato pictures using cellphone ......

i'm also not sure if this falls under trouble shooting(move if you see fit mods)

-snip

You could always buy a DVI to HDMI adapter if the HDMI port is dead.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Mine is normal. The card itself is no more because I screwed up.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

I had a bad HDMI when I installed my TV a couple years ago.  I was so pissed because it would have been such a huge pain in the ass to send back to Amazon.  I looked at it very carefully and noticed one of the pins was distorted a little bit and slightly bent.  I got an old tooth brush and scrubbed it out really good.  I plugged it in and to my amazement it actually fixed it.  Is that your problem?  Probably not, but you never know if it's something simple.

Case: HAF XBCPU: 4690kCPU Cooler: NH D15Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming 7 | RAM: Hyper X FuryVideo Card: G1 Gaming 970SSD: 850 EVO |  PSU: Supernova 550 G2 | 

I had a bad HDMI when I installed my TV a couple years ago.  I was so pissed because it would have been such a huge pain in the ass to send back to Amazon.  I looked at it very carefully and noticed one of the pins was distorted a little bit and slightly bent.  I got an old tooth brush and scrubbed it out really good.  I plugged it in a to my amazement it actually fixed it.  Is that your problem?  Probably not, but you never know if it's something simple.

The pins on his 290's HDMI connector got pushed backwards somehow, he might have fixed them by pushing them back into place by the looks of things.

PMSL

The pins on his 290's HDMI connector got pushed backwards somehow, he might have fixed them by pushing them back into place by the looks of things.

Well there you go.

Try that and see if it works.

Case: HAF XBCPU: 4690kCPU Cooler: NH D15Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming 7 | RAM: Hyper X FuryVideo Card: G1 Gaming 970SSD: 850 EVO |  PSU: Supernova 550 G2 | 

HELL YES , i had to open up a guard on the back of the hdmi port to get to the upper pins, here's what i did.

i noticed that some upper pins were pushed in as well, to fix them i would have to move  a piece of metal blocking access to the pins:

upper pins

post-144181-0-39077800-1429595842_thumb.

metal on back of hdmi

post-144181-0-04545400-1429595817_thumb.

i pryed it up with a small flat head screwdriver ( the bit ion the red box)

post-144181-0-59884600-1429595958.jpg

i then pushed all the pins in WITH a hdmi cable in the port, made sure none of the pins contacted each other crossed my toes and put it back into the system .... and

post-144181-0-38239800-1429596147.jpg

*edit *

for some reason that picture always ends up upside down =(

i have not tested audio yet but im finishing this post on it now , hope this helps somebody. 

for reference this is a msi r9 290 twin frozr....... in case any one wants to know, they have crappy hdmi ports.....

I'm glad I could help you fix this problem :)

pushing them back in with a flat head fixed it, i kinda left it all bent open, meh as long as it works now =D

pushing them back in with a flat head fixed it, i kinda left it all bent open, meh as long as it works now =D

Yep, and it only cost you time not money (not too many people actually bother fixing things anymore, which is why I score so many easily fixed rigs from the local recycle depot).

PMSL