Please give help! All advice appreciated.

nicobico

Alright I'm currently 15 years old but am so intrigued by computer engineering and computer science. It's been my dream to make my own program to benefit anyone and everyone.

But of course to do so. I must first learn the language! 

But to the point what language do I learn to start off with... I know theres certain languages that are easier then others but thats not my concern. I would like to learn a language that is most useful to me. 

Also if you guys have any side tips on any ways I can have more motivation to learn and keep learning these languages that'd be great. 

Thanks in advance!

- Nico. :)

The C languages, python and Java are used a lot. So if you're thinking about widely used ones, those are 3. Get to it champ! Programming is a blast! Well...it's a love and hate relationship. :P

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

Unfortunately, the world of programming is very broad. Mobile devices have their own languages they use and gaming engine usually have their own languages as a subset of another. There also is web development (HTML&Javascript). If you just want to program, I would go with C#, Java, or C++, in order from my more preferred to less preferred. I just feel like C# has grown far better than other languages.

it's a love and hate relationship. :P

From my experience, starting off its pretty much just all hate xD

Though as you get more experienced and understand it more its a bit better.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

From my experience, starting off its pretty much just all hate xD

Though as you get more experienced and understand it more its a bit better.

Haha ya, until you get your first bug. No errors coming up. Looking at a wall of text till midnight and you find it haha. 

Ooohh the days I wanted to punch my screen in. xD

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

The C languages, python and Java are used a lot. So if you're thinking about widely used ones, those are 3. Get to it champ! Programming is a blast! Well...it's a love and hate relationship. :P

Ah. Awesome. Thank you! I'll research these a bit more. Thanks for the advice!!

Haha ya, until you get your first bug. No errors coming up. Looking at a wall of text till midnight and you find it haha. 

Ooohh the days I wanted to punch my screen in. xD

I don't think that is too bad. I hate diving into messy code. Some people just don't make code readable, so it becomes a major pain figuring out what is happening. Coders need to realize that someone might want to read that part in the future.

Python is a great first language. It's one of the easiest to learn and it'll continue to be useful as you become more experienced. The fact that it's easy doesn't negate that it's also a powerful scripting language.

Python is usually the first language people recommend for beginners because it's very forgiving with it's syntax, but don't feel intimidated by higher level languages. Research a bit and dive into the one you are really interested in :)

Ah yes i was speaking mostly of a bit of game development so i will look into the C languages. 

And no worries. Im not intimidated by these languages as currently its quite a passion of mine! 

Python is a great first language. It's one of the easiest to learn and it'll continue to be useful as you become more experienced. The fact that it's easy doesn't negate that it's also a powerful scripting language.

Ive heard many good and bad things about it... Some say its useless whilst others say it is great to know... I will do more research on it and see what i think but thank you for the recommendation :D 

Ive heard many good and bad things about it... Some say its useless whilst others say it is great to know... I will do more research on it and see what i think but thank you for the recommendation :D

It really depends on what you'll end up focusing on. You mentioned gaming as a focus in your reply to someone so Python isn't the best choice for that. C++ is probably the king of professional game development. However there are other options. C# (with Unity) is a great platform to start learning game development with. Or if you were looking to make games for mobile platforms like Android and iOS, then the options would again be different with Java and Swift/Objective-C respectively.

While Python may not be the best choice for every situation it is without a doubt a solid language; definitely has fewer problems than something like PHP and is a better first language.

Overall, computer science/programming is about problem solving. Programming is just the way we have to get computers to do things. Best not to get too invested in one language before you know what you want to do.