Big time derp...

TheKDub

So I was trying to run skyrim at 4K (using DSR) on my Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming, and record a few minutes of it at 30fps to show off with shadowplay, this was all going smoothly, getting 40fps or so while recording, until I hear my GPU fans shoot up to 100% or around there, and I look over at my 2nd monitor which had GPUz open on it so I could watch the VRAM usage and see what happened when I went over 3.5GB (Btw, I got no missing textures or anything, just a small amount of studdering, though not enough to make it un-playable, but did have a dragon sort of appear then disappear for a second), the card ramped the fans up rapidly because somehow the temps reached 90c.... I immediately flipped shit and closed skyrim to lower the stress on my card so it could cool down, and opened up MSI Afterburner to confirm the readings, and found out that the damn fan speed slider was set to manual instead of auto somehow...

Not exactly sure how it got set to manual because I always keep it on auto, but I sure as hell was not happy once discovered it...

I'd guess the card was only at 90c or so for 10 seconds or less, didn't crash or anything during that time.

Think my card is going to be fine? or did I possibly cause some damage to it?

Anyone else manage to screw up similar to this? :P

tl;dr:

MSI Afterburner fan control set to manual, GTX 970 hit 90c while playing skyrim @4K while recording @30fps with #NvidiaShadowplay, went over 3.5GB VRAM usage, no noticeable difference from when below 3.5GB used.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Should be fine. My GT610 has managed 80C at extended amounts of time, but it was due to small fan, crappy thermal paste, and dust.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

My friend had his 970 set to manual and he didn't know it

It got to like 90c and started throttling

Intel Core i7 9700k - EVGA FTW GTX 970

Don't worry, if they were that fragile I would think Nvidia wouldn't last long.

If your card is working then obviously not.

i5 4690K @ 4.5Ghz | OC'd XFX R9 290 | 8GB DDR3-1600 | 1TB HDD, 250GB SSD | Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H | 650W Rosewill PSU | Rosewill Thor White V2 Case | Windows 8.1 | 1440p 144Hz Freesync 27" |1080p 60Hz 24"

It didn't do a thing in fact.

Don't stress.

How do you think I feel when I play gta V and my gpu is at 75 and my CPU too.

(hot, the answer is that I feel hot)

It didn't do a thing in fact.

Don't stress.

How do you think I feel when I play gta V and my gpu is at 75 and my CPU too.

(hot, the answer is that I feel hot)

Lol, I can't benchmark my cpu or gpu in the spring/summer/fall or else my room gets way too hot for me to live in :/

Damn upper floor west side bedroom...

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

So I was trying to run skyrim at 4K (using DSR) on my Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming, and record a few minutes of it at 30fps to show off with shadowplay, this was all going smoothly, getting 40fps or so while recording, until I hear my GPU fans shoot up to 100% or around there, and I look over at my 2nd monitor which had GPUz open on it so I could watch the VRAM usage and see what happened when I went over 3.5GB (Btw, I got no missing textures or anything, just a small amount of studdering, though not enough to make it un-playable, but did have a dragon sort of appear then disappear for a second), the card ramped the fans up rapidly because somehow the temps reached 90c.... I immediately flipped shit and closed skyrim to lower the stress on my card so it could cool down, and opened up MSI Afterburner to confirm the readings, and found out that the damn fan speed slider was set to manual instead of auto somehow...

Not exactly sure how it got set to manual because I always keep it on auto, but I sure as hell was not happy once discovered it...

I'd guess the card was only at 90c or so for 10 seconds or less, didn't crash or anything during that time.

Think my card is going to be fine? or did I possibly cause some damage to it?

Anyone else manage to screw up similar to this? :P

tl;dr:

MSI Afterburner fan control set to manual, GTX 970 hit 90c while playing skyrim @4K while recording @30fps with #NvidiaShadowplay, went over 3.5GB VRAM usage, no noticeable difference from when below 3.5GB used.

If it's just once or twice, should not be an issue. Usually they will have those cut off point whereby before damage is done, your PC will "crash" and restart (or just crash and no restart).

Spoiler

[CPU] i5-4690K @ 4.5GHz with NZXT Kraken X61 [MOBO] Asus Z97-AR [Memory] HyperX Fury 32GB DDR3-1600 [Storage] Samsung 840 EVO 500GB & WD 1TB Black & Hitachi 1TB [GPU] Gigabyte GTX 1080 8GB Xtreme Gaming [Case] Corsair Air 540 [PSU] Cooler Master V1000 [Case Fan] Corsair SP140 LED Fan x 3 & SP120 LED Fan x 3 [Display] Main: Philips 31.5" FULL HD IPS | Side: Philips 28" 4K UHD [Keyboard] Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth Edition [Mouse] Razer Ouroboros [Mouse Pad] Razer Firefly [Sound] BOSE Companion 5 Multimedia Speaker System

Yup. Same situation. I'd look into a floor standing window airconditioner. I'm in the same situation.

This^

Yeah, I'd just have to convince my parents to get me one, cause I don't have much money, and I need to start saving for college and such :P