Corsair CX500W is it the problem?

WaterGun

Hello guys, I've been trying to overclock my GPU but without any luck, first off my pc specs:

I5-4670k @ 4.4GHz

MSI R9 270X

MSI Gaming 5 Motherboard

Crucial MX 100 256GB SSD

WD Blue 500GB HDD

Cooler Master Hyper 212

Kingston HyperX Fury 2x4GB RAM

NZXT H440 with the 4 stock case fans

Corsair CX 500W

So my problem is when I'am trying to overclock my r9 270x I went from 10 to 10 increments on the core clock and on the memory, I ran unigine valley after each increment without a problem with these settings. The thing is when I go play any game lets say Arma 3 I sometimes get full on artifacts on both my screens leaving me with just sound and nothing else, the only way I can get access to my computer again is by physically resetting it or powering off.

I've looked at some other people's benchmarks and they've acheived pretty decent results with their R9 270x's but I can't really even reach the overclocks they can, or even stay a bit lower than them, even with only like +50 on the core and +50 on the memory I still get those artifacts sometimes. 

I've also had a GTX 660 before this R9 270x where I had an i7 920 @ stock and even with that I couldn't get any good overclocks on the 660, artifacts everywhere.

So my question is, is the PSU bottlenecking my overclocks? I wouldn't think so since this is a well known PSU with good ratings the only downside is that I bought it in 2012, while the rest of my PC is some months old.

Thanks for all the help in advance ;)

If you get artifacts it's a card problem, the psu would be responsible for reboots or for the card throttling down. Go down with the overclock, or raise the voltage (within reason). Every gpu is different, nothing guarantees you'll get anywhere close to anyone else's results. It's a dice roll. It seems you've been unlucky twice. It can happen, my own cards have never been exceptional from an OC point of view.

-edit-

by the way please follow your topics @WaterGun

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I see, I can't raise the voltage any more as it is at the maximum as you could see on the 2nd screenshot I posted :/

EDIT:Now that I think of about what you said regarding reboots, I've had like 5 reboots during like 6 months without any overclock on my GPU, like my mouse freezes and after 5 secs it reboots and/or bluescreens. Then it wont boot, I have to shut it down and turn it back on in order for it to recognize my boot device again.

EDIT2: I just tried with only +30 on the core clock and +30 on the memory clock with power limit +20% and core voltage +100, instantly after joining an Arma 3 server I got this only on my main screen as the second one stayed alright, I turned the settings down to default but the artifacts kept going, I had to reboot my pc using the 2nd monitor as it has the windows task bar. I mean the overclock was so little why does this happen? is the card broken or what? :P