[Build Purchased] Opinions? How did I do for a budget gaming rig that can overclock?

So to make it short I bought an awful pre-built PC 2 years ago. I finally saved some extra money to spend on a rig that can actually game compared to my current PC.

Current (soon-to-be-replaced) PC: Gateway DX4380-UR23 ($500 at time of purchase), Azio G2000 ($22 at time of purchase), Rosewill RK-8100 ($28 at time of purchase).

Believe it or not I don't currently have a desk to work with so I spent some money on this: Techni Mobili Mobile

And this is my new build!  (all parts are being delivered next week):

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor  ($137.95 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($28.95 @ NCIX US)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste  ($6.79 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($108.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB Tri-X Video Card  ($238.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic M12II 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32/64-bit)  ($99.98 @ OutletPC)
Case Fan: Arctic Cooling Arctic F12 74.0 CFM 120mm  Fan  ($6.98 @ OutletPC)
Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm QuickFire TK Wired Gaming Keyboard Cherry MX Blue  ($93.09 @ Amazon)
Mouse: SteelSeries Sensei RAW Heat Orange Wired Laser Mouse  ($38.99 @ Amazon)

The only things I don't have listed are a 1TB HDD, 500GB, some basic Kingston RAM (2x4GB,1x2GB), and a TP-LINKWDN4800. All being pulled from the old pc to the new.

I would return the Steel Series RAW for the full black rubberized version but I'm lazy, don't care too much about color matching, but primarily just don't want to want to ship it back out (I tried cancelling before it shipped but to no avail).

SO! In the end how did I do for a budget gaming rig that I can use for some overclocking? Opinions?

at the 120-140$ price range of CPU's, there are some really poor ones out there, pretty much all of them are actually.

high end i3s - still only 2 cores, and will lose out on a lot of games (can still play games that the g3258 can't and isn't that bad compared to 8320)

8320 - this processor has 8 logical cores, but are so weak and are really bad at gaming.

I can't really blame you for picking an 8320 due to a lack of really good processors at this range, since i3s can't do much more than a game, but it is still weak for a gaming pc.

Current Desktop Build | 2200G | RX 580 4GB | 8GB RAM | CTRL | Logitech G Pro Wireless

Laptop | 2018 MBA 256/16GB | MX Master 

For the price, much more could have been had.

Just giving my honest opinion.

CPU: Intel i5-4690k                                                               RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengance Pro DDR3-2400                                                                     Case: NZXT S340

Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo                                                  Storage: Intel 730 SSD                                                                                                            PSU: EVGA 850G2

Mobo: Asus Z97-A 3.1                                                          GPU: 980ti G1                                                                                                                          OS: Windows 10 Pro

at the 120-140$ price range of CPU's, there are some really poor ones out there, pretty much all of them are actually.

high end i3s - still only 2 cores, and will lose out on a lot of games (can still play games that the g3258 can't and isn't that bad compared to 8320)

8320 - this processor has 8 logical cores, but are so weak and are really bad at gaming.

I can't really blame you for picking an 8320 due to a lack of really good processors at this range, since i3s can't do much more than a game, but it is still weak for a gaming pc.

Yes I was debating getting the g3258 and overclocking it pretty high, at least then I could have an upgrade path to an i5 K series processor. But the 8320 will get what I need done from the various benchmarks that I have looked into (though it may not have strong single cores). Also I suppose its work mentioning I produce music and multitask more than I should sometimes.

It is better than what I had, should be happy with it long enough before I switch over to Intel/Nvidia.

You could have maybe gone with a cheaper Mouse/Keyboard and got an i5 4690K from the off. Otherwise it is a decent enough pc for gaming on. At least you chose a good quality psu. 

You could have maybe gone with a cheaper Mouse/Keyboard and got an i5 4690K from the off. Otherwise it is a decent enough pc for gaming on. At least you chose a good quality psu. 

or even a 4460

Intel Core i7 9700k - EVGA FTW GTX 970

I think you should look a bit more in other than, oh amd processor at ~900$, shitty system.

this has an os, fans costing to like 20$, peripherals of up to 120$, and this suddently becomes a ~650-700$ PC. (even though the motherboard is overkill, 110$ is a lot for a mb)

Current Desktop Build | 2200G | RX 580 4GB | 8GB RAM | CTRL | Logitech G Pro Wireless

It is better than what I had, should be happy with it long enough before I switch over to Intel/Nvidia.

I wouldn't say the best combo is Intel/Nvidia. For your dollar, Intel/Radeon is the best combo. The one thing you should have done is start with the Pentium-K... why? It puts you on the z97 Platform and is well capable of most games, usually better than the FX series. The important part here would have been the upgrade path:

Grab a bottle of rubbing alcohol, a few coffee filters, clean the Pentium and take it out, clean the CPU cooler, pop in the i5-4690k, reapply paste and cooler... and poof. Instead, you need a whole new Mobo and CPU to go down this path.

Don't get me wrong, I like your build, I just would have thought about the future if it were me. ;)

You could have even started with Non-K i5 on the z97 platform and upgraded later if you needed it:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($178.89 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($84.98 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 280X 3GB Double Dissipation Video Card  ($209.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case  ($99.99 @ Amazon) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($87.79 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $886.61
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-19 23:01 EDT-0400

Now, I'm not going to change your peripherals as these are subjective and you like whatever you like. ;)

But in the end, enjoy your build! At least your money was spent on building a PC and not buying a console. 

CPU: Intel i5-4690k                                                               RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengance Pro DDR3-2400                                                                     Case: NZXT S340

Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo                                                  Storage: Intel 730 SSD                                                                                                            PSU: EVGA 850G2

Mobo: Asus Z97-A 3.1                                                          GPU: 980ti G1                                                                                                                          OS: Windows 10 Pro

I've wanted the Quickfire TK for a while now, was too impatient to wait for a sale.

Also the prices marked aren't were I got some of the parts from, some were bought at cheaper prices.

90$ is average for a mechanical keyboard and $40 is about average for a mouse.

you should more or less look at this as a 800$ pc + peripherals.

I wouldn't say the best combo is Intel/Nvidia. For your dollar, Intel/Radeon is the best combo. The one thing you should have done is start with the Pentium-K... why? It puts you on the z97 Platform and is well capable of most games, usually better than the FX series. The important part here would have been the upgrade path:

Grab a bottle of rubbing alcohol, a few coffee filters, clean the Pentium and take it out, clean the CPU cooler, pop in the i5-4690k, reapply paste and cooler... and poof. Instead, you need a whole new Mobo and CPU to go down this path.

Don't get me wrong, I like your build, I just would have thought about the future if it were me. ;)

Live and learn I suppose, I had thought about it in the past and skipped out on it this time :wacko:

I gamed on an 8320 for almost 2 years.  People that said its "lolterribad" are either unfamiliar with it or are drawing conclusions from other people that say that.  It's not terrible for gaming, in fact for the price it's not bad at all.  You can OC the hell out of it too (great mobo choice for OCing).  The 280x you picked is perfect for that budget as it is ahead of the GTX 960.  Peripherals are all about personal preference, so pick what you like.  Overall this isn't a bad system and will do great for gaming compared to what you had.

Case: HAF XBCPU: 4690kCPU Cooler: NH D15Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming 7 | RAM: Hyper X FuryVideo Card: G1 Gaming 970SSD: 850 EVO |  PSU: Supernova 550 G2 | 

The fans are for airflow management. I was going more on the safe side to give myself options when I start overclocking, and I wont be getting a new case for a long time I believe.

90$ is average for a mechanical keyboard and $40 is about average for a mouse.

you should more or less look at this as a 800$ pc + peripherals.

A mechanical keyboard and $40 mouse doesn't make sense though at this sort of budget. I would rather have a stronger cpu and gpu.

I gamed on an 8320 for almost 2 years.  People that said its "lolterribad" are either unfamiliar with it or are drawing conclusions from other people that say that.  It's not terrible for gaming, in fact for the price it's not bad at all.  You can OC the hell out of it too (great mobo choice for OCing).  The 280x you picked is perfect for that budget as it is ahead of the GTX 960.  Peripherals are all about personal preference, so pick what you like.  Overall this isn't a bad system and will do great for gaming compared to what you had.

The FX-8000 series will keel over and die in any CPU-Bound game like MMO's. I've had the 8350, and immediately returned it and the mobo for the combo I have now when I fired up ESO and it choked my FPS so bad it was not playable.

I would have done something like this

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($226.99 @ SuperBiiz) 

Motherboard: Asus Z97-E ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($91.98 @ Newegg) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 290 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card  ($263.98 @ Newegg) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32/64-bit)  ($99.98 @ OutletPC) 

Total: $818.80

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-19 23:05 EDT-0400

How is the 970 working for you in your opinion? I have been keeping my eye on it for some time.

A mechanical keyboard and $40 mouse doesn't make sense though at this sort of budget. I would rather have a stronger cpu and gpu.

I entirely agree, I'm still using a Logitech G105($30) and a G600($40).

how on earth does 750+ not make sense for a mechanical keyboard

120$ is a lot but so is 900$.

I mean sure 90$ into pc hardware would be a fun experience, but so would having a mechanical keyboard (which is more depends on the user)

I went to long without proper peripherals (for my preferences) so they jumped a little bit higher on my list of priorities.

You did fine. Idk what everyone else is talking about. Maybe the processor isn't the best and you would've been better off with an i5 but everything else is pretty damn good. If this is your first time building a pc then you did good. It should be fine, I wouldn't think the 8320 will bottleneck the 280x. Also that psu should last you quite a while and will allow for some upgrades.

Perfection. What a great starting point and awesome price:performance.

after you add everything in that is missing you hit around 100 over, but in no means a terrible build

(psu has no price)

edit: actually more like 50 over, but whatever

edit: again im retarted ignore my post