[Java] Diference Between i-- and --i

PedroBarbosa

Hey

Title says it all...

exemple:

int i = 0;

--i; or i--;

Thanks

What exactly do you mean by i-- and --i?

Do you mean like this:

int i = 0;

int 0 = i;

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

What exactly do you mean by i-- and --i?

Do you mean like this:

int i = 0;

int 0 = i;

My question is if this is the same thing:

for( int i = 10 ; i >= 0 ; --i )
System.out.println( i );

for( int i = 10 ; i >= 0 ; i-- )
System.out.println( i );

--i subtracts 1 right now. i-- uses the current value of i, then subtracts 1.

So in pseudocode:

int i = 5;

print(i--);

print(i);

this prints 5 and then 4.

print(--i);

print(i);

this prints 4 twice.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

The following will modify the value before it assigns to the variable

int i = 5;int value = --i;// i = 4 and value = 4 int i = 5;int value = ++i;// i = 6 and value = 6

The following will assign the variable and then modify the value

int i = 5;int value = i--;// i = 4 and value = 5int i = 5;int value = i++;// i = 6 and value = 5

If you aren't assigning to a variable or passing to a method, then there's not really much of a difference. They will both still increment or decrement the value.

int i = 5;--i; // i = 4i--; // i = 3

Technically --i and ++i are slightly more efficient than i-- and i++ when considering the compiled code (without compiler optimization). However I'd be very surprised if compilers aren't optimizing it for you thus making them equivalent. Regardless, this micro-optimization wouldn't really be noticeable but I still prefer to use --i and ++i when I can anyway.

My question is if this is the same thing:

for( int i = 10 ; i >= 0 ; --i )
System.out.println( i );

for( int i = 10 ; i >= 0 ; i-- )
System.out.println( i );

I am not sure what --i is, but i-- basically means:

i = i - 1;

So everytime you code comes across i--, it lower the var i with 1.

EDIT: better explanations above :P

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

These are types of incrementers. i-- is called a post-decrementer, and --i is a pre-decrementer. 

Basically, if you were to use one of these within an operation, the time at which i is subtracted from would be different.

for example:

int a = 1;int c = --a;

so here both c and a would equal 0 because of the use of the PRE-decrementation. It would look at the value of a, which is 1, and then subtract from it, then assign that value to c.

If it was like this:

int a = 1;int c = a--;

c would equal 1 and a would equal 0 because of the POST-decrementation. c would look at the value of a, which is 1, assign it, and then a would be subtracted by 1.

These same principles apply to pre and post incrementers like i++ and ++i.

CPU: i7-4790K --- HEATSINK: NZXT Kraken X61 --- MOBO: Asus Z97-A --- GPU: GTX 970 Strix --- RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG --- SSD: 512GB MX100 | 256GB BX200 HDD: 1TB WD Black --- PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 --- CASE: NZXT H440 --- DISPLAY3 x Dell U2414H --- KEYBOARD: Pok3r (Clears) --- MOUSE: Logitech G Pro --- OS: Windows 10

i-- means the expression has the value i, then i gets decremented.

--i decrements i before setting the value of the expression.

Example

x = 0

y = x++ => y is 0, x is 1

// y is set to x, then x gets incremented.

z = ++x => z is 1, z is 1

// x gets incremented , then z is equal to the incremented x.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

I'm not sure if it ever matters in Java but in C++ with operator overloading, unless you specifically want a post increment it's generally better to use pre increment. Since a pre increment just returns the same object it can be much faster than a post increment which much create a copy of the object, increment the old object then return the copy.