setting up raid with existing drive

Puma911
Go to solution Solved by Altecice,

right so I should copy my drive to something else beforehand and then move it back once the RAID is set up

yeah you could do that.

So my current setup (in my signature) includes a 120GB samsung 840 evo for my os and a 2TB WD black. 

My question is can I buy another 2TB drive and just plug it in and make the two drives run in Raid 0.

Can they just automagically spread the data currently living on one drive between two drives?

I am trying to avoid whiping the data on the drive before setting up RAID.

Thoughts?

Thanks!! ^.^

AMD FX 8350, ASUS Sabertooth 990fx R2.0, Crucial Ballistix Tracer 4x4GB 1866, PNY GTX780, Corsair HX850, Phantom 630, Samsung 120GB SSD, WD Black 2TB HDD

Rest in peace, legend.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, Gigabyte RTX 3070, 32GB RAM, 4TB Samsung SSD, and a crippling depression that causes me to buy games and not play them lol

So my current setup (in my signature) includes a 120GB samsung 840 evo for my os and a 2TB WD black. 

My question is can I buy another 2TB drive and just plug it in and make the two drives run in Raid 0.

Can they just automagically spread the data currently living on one drive between two drives?

I am trying to avoid whiping the data on the drive before setting up RAID.

Thoughts?

Thanks!! ^.^

raid on a 990fx board is not really smart...

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

raid on a 990fx board is not really smart...

is it not a quick enough chipset to take advantage of RAID 0? Obvs I have no RAID exp lol

AMD FX 8350, ASUS Sabertooth 990fx R2.0, Crucial Ballistix Tracer 4x4GB 1866, PNY GTX780, Corsair HX850, Phantom 630, Samsung 120GB SSD, WD Black 2TB HDD

Rest in peace, legend.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, Gigabyte RTX 3070, 32GB RAM, 4TB Samsung SSD, and a crippling depression that causes me to buy games and not play them lol

is it not a quick enough chipset to take advantage of RAID 0? Obvs I have no RAID exp lol

Its fine... but to answer your question no not exactly. When you create a RAID array both disks will be formatted (loosing all your data).

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Its fine... but to answer your question no not exactly. When you create a RAID array both disks will be formatted (loosing all your data).

ok that makes sense. soooo copy my drive before hand and then move it back after i set up the raid?

Rest in peace, legend.

ok that makes sense. soooo copy my drive before hand and then move it back after i set up the raid?

Both drives will be formatted as they will be put into the same RAID 0 array. 

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Both drives will be formatted as they will be put into the same RAID 0 array. 

right so I should copy my drive to something else beforehand and then move it back once the RAID is set up

Rest in peace, legend.

yeah you could do that.