PC wont start up.

Totallycasual

I just moved into a new apartment and pulled all of my stuff out of storage (it had been there 5 years) and my old PC wont start up, i had planned to clean it up and give it away but it just does an initial attempt to start with a few fans going here and there then it just makes a tick tick sound and shuts down then proceeds to try and start itself again in an endless loop.

I guess i have two questions, is there any way to diagnose the problem when its behaving like this and i guess more importantly is it worth it

bPMXUGJ.jpg?1

2WfNJsT.jpg?1

As you can see its in very good condition so it feels like a waste to throw it in the rubbish, i also have an old 22 inch LCD+G15 to give away with it. I was hoping to find someone in need here.

anything appearing on the screen ?  check connectors ?

and id take that monitor anyday :)

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Put some work and reseat any PSU connections. Reseat ram. And that tick may be from the HDD.

But put a little effort and it might work again.

anything appearing on the screen ?  check connectors ?

and id take that monitor anyday :)

Nothing on the screen at all :(

Nothing on the screen at all :(

here is a few things.

check every connection. there appears to be on the first picture a loos connector under the brown fan.

check ram : try using only one stick. then add others and switch them to see if one is broken.

if it still not works. try to get a usb thmb drive with linux or something on it. disconnect the sata connector of the hard drive and plug in the usb. then try powering it on. (and if you have trouble try the ram thing again.)

if all of that fail. well you might have either a dead mobo / cpu. or a dead powersupply. wich is probably the case.  if you have another one around. try using it. if not. try to remove the cables and power the psu on its own (the shorting out of the pins. I don't remember wich ones though... look it up)

have fun :)

edit : for the ticking. try to block the gpu fan when starting up to see if thats whats hitting somewhere.. if not then its probably your hdd... wich is probably dead.

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

if the CPU and case fan are spinning but the GPU is not

looks like the GPU may also be a cause

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

take he gpu out and see if you get a display. Just use the onboard video to see

take he gpu out and see if you get a display. Just use the onboard video to see

P35 chipset dont have integrated graphics

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.