Core 2 Duo Macbook (and keeping it relevant)

saya_kucing

So I've been using my Mid-2010 Macbook Pro for a while now, and have just recently changed tacs and built my own high-end gaming desktop.

Now before all the haters gon' start, I can appreciate a Mac for what it is - in the same way a Mac user should appreciate a PC for what it is.

The problem is that it - like any 5-year-old laptop - is showing its age more and more so. To give you all some context, I'll drop a few specs in.

-13" 800*1280 IPS

-8GB 1066MHz RAM

-C2D @ 2.66GHz

-NVIDIA 320M

-1TB SSHD (partitioned into 3:2 OSX:Windows7)

-802.11b/g/n wifi

Please note the 320M graphics - the part that is certainly holding it back from LAN parties, with the Core 2 Duo soon to be in the same position. The screen resolution is tolerable, as it's a 13inch and I don't spend long hours gaming. I'm a fan of it being easily dual-bootable, the wifi standard being still very capable and the internal layout.

So far, I've dropped in a 1TB SSHD, another 4GB RAM (8GB total) and done a little bit of ghetto personalisation to the exterior.

(see; http://linustechtips.com/main/gallery/album/2061-macbook-pro-2010-new-look/)

I'm looking at more ways to keep this system relevant - at the moment I'm using Steam's in-home streaming to run all my games through my desktop, but away from home my options have been limited with AAA titles - although not usually an issue (since LAN games often have low system requirements).

I suppose there's not much I can do for upgradability - although I am aware I'm able to replace the optical drive with another 2.5" HDD/SSD and run it in RAID through software or drop in another 8GB (16GB total) RAM. The main problem is graphics, and I'm unaware of any service that will allow me to stream from my PC outside the premises.

I'm also looking for cosmetic mods to make it my own. I was thinking a canvas texture to go on there... somehow?

What's the longest you've run a system for, how has it become obsolete and what did you love/hate about it the most?

Cheers,

saya.

I got a 17" late 2009 Mac book that i got just to say i have a mac. Its only got 4GB Ram and it blows hard when i try to run anything other than general user apps.

Dota 2 on bare minimum setting just barely runs thanks to the dedicated video card. i think the next OSX release will probably be the end of that thing.

The battery life is also like 2 hours

Current: R2600X@4.0GHz\\ Corsair Air 280x \\ RTX 2070 \\ 16GB DDR3 2666 \\ 1KW EVGA Supernova\\ Asus B450 TUF

Old Systems: A6 5200 APU -- A10 7800K + HD6670 -- FX 9370 + 2X R9 290 -- G3258 + R9 280 -- 4690K + RX480

-SNIP-

For the textured or new skin for the laptop you would like you can get pre-made or custom make textured vinyl wrap, sounds like you got pretty good use out of the system, for my laptop however I've only purchased one a couple years ago and did an SSD upgrade.

I have (not as a main) early-2007 macbook pro - god bless that thing. Not a single upgrade/clean ever and still keeps ticking like clockwork

I have an old, heavy, and fat Samsung laptop that I use from time to time for stuff because my Macbook died and I've been too lazy to get a different laptop for a while. It's a horrible computer running Windows 7, but it's lasted me the longest amount of time (5 years +). Aside from that, my Macbook Pro was a defective one that lasted me 3 years. As it turns out, Apple did a VERY short recall that wasn't at all publicized, so I got screwed over in that department and ended up with a dud during university. 

The desktop that I built, though, is starting its third year. I shoved in high end components when I built it, though, so there's not much work in maintaining it. My secondary drive died, though, so I lost my means of easy storage, and I need to upgrade my GPU. 

Laptops show their age pretty quickly, and they're pretty much impossible to upgrade, especially these days. You've far passed the point of obsolescence, and your only choice is to replace it or be OK with mediocrity. I still occasionally use the first gen iPad, which hurts my eyes after a few hours reading on it. 3 years is a good amount of time, and after 4, you should definitely jump ship. 5 is insane unless you're like 80 years old and can't tell the difference.