Best standalone headset for $300 max?

Goku_

So i recently made a thread asking opinions on a head (Audio technica ATH-AG1's) and everyone was recommending a stand-alone headset with a mod-mic. I think im going to go this route, but i have no idea when it comes to higher grade headphones without mics.. iv only done research on the typical "Gaming headsets" Can anyone recommend me a headset for $300 and below?

I've heard great stories about ASTRO's

Not sure if you are being serious hahah... astros..?

ASTROS?!!?!?!?

Sennheiser HD 650

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Sennheiser HD 650

Theyre $450 but thanks for the suggestion :) $300 is my budget

First you need to figure out if you want open backed or closed back.  Most gamers prefer open backed but they allow more sound to leak in and out than a closed back, which is basically sealed once it's on your head.  I'm pretty sure most, if not all "gaming headsets" (with built in mics) are the closed back design.

System: i5 6600K@3.6 GHz, Gigabyte Z170XP SLI, 2x8 Corsair DDR 3000, Corsair Hydro H60i cooler, Rosewill CAPSTONE 750w Gold PSU, 1x 512GB SSD, 1x 2TB 7200RPM, Windows 10 Pro x64
Display: XFX R9 390 DD, triple 1920x1200 24" HP monitors (5760x1200 @ 60Hz)   Sound: Audio-gd NFB-11 -> AKG K7XX or 2.1 speaker system

Theyre $450 but thanks for the suggestion :) $300 is my budget

It's not on Amazon :D

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

If your fine with open I loved my hd600 and think they are great for gaming it's right now 270 on amazon so you can get them with a moov mic.

If you need closed headphones I'll either recommend the Sony mdr 1r or 1a(depend of what prices you find them at)+ moov mic for warm sound or the audio technica ath msr7 for bright sound+moov mic.

This list is really more under $200. If you are unsure you may not want to drop $300 on a set until you do more research.

152pa8w.png

I would probably recommend the Bose QC25 around ear headphones. The are $299.99 off of Amazon with free shipping. I recently tried them on, and they 1. block out all the sound around you, and 2. are the most comfortable pair of headphones that i have ever tried on.

For someone new to good headphones I don't suggest blowing that much money. It can be a trial and error process of finding the frequency response you prefer.

Try out the ATH-AD700X, HD558, or DT990 first. They should retain value if you decide to sell them later on to try something new.