Multi monitor and Windows question

Rusty.

I hope this is the correct area for this question.  I've looked at a few forums and talked to a few computer people but could not get a answer.  I trust this forum and the people on it so now I'm asking you.

I have what I'm told is a abnormal setup for my office.  On the left of the attached pic is a plasma 50gt50 running in 1080P via HDMI that i game on.  On the right is a crap 1600X900 20ish in. monitor that I use for my tiny business.  The 16X9 is running off a 15ft DVI cable.  All runs great the way it is set up now however I want to add a 2nd "work" monitor to my desk.  The way I run now is for the 16X9 I run "Show desktop on screen 2 only" and for gaming "Show desktop on screen 1 only".  I don't extend the desktop because I want everything on whatever screen I'm using and I can't "duplicate screens" because of the different screen resolutions.  

My Question! I would like to add another monitor to my desk but I don't know how windows will treat it.  Will I be able to bounce from gaming TV to the 2 desk monitors extending the display across the 2 desktop monitors? This may be ridiculous but it's what I want... I am willing to move up to 2 1080P monitors but I am not willing to run the plasma while I'm working all day.  To be clear when I'm gaming the TV is all I need to have running.  When I'm working I would like to have 2 monitors running on my desk in desktop extended mode.  I would like to switch with-ought having to unplug anything.  Can I do this? How will windows see the 3 monitors? Can I use 2 as a team and 1 by itself?   

I am running off 2 GTX 670s in SLI.

Thanks in advance for your help. 

post-68389-0-85067800-1428775640_thumb.j

U can get an hdmi splitter, that will split a signal from 1 monitor to both this monitor and TV.

p.s. is this a fender? looks like one of those Nuno Bettencourt's signature guitars

Why not get a 1080p monitor set it as primary, make the 1600x900 monitor the secondary monitor, and have the TV mirror the new primary 1080p monitor.

I'm not actually sure how it will effect gaming performance but it will do what you want.

• 2 weeks later...

So If I have monitor 1 & 2 on my desk and monitor 3 was my TV could I extend windows between 1 & 2 and have 3 (TV) off or doing nothing? I think I could then when I want to game I can choose show only on 3 (TV) and bobs your uncle..

So If I have monitor 1 & 2 on my desk and monitor 3 was my TV could I extend windows between 1 & 2 and have 3 (TV) off or doing nothing? I think I could then when I want to game I can choose show only on 3 (TV) and bobs your uncle..

I think the dropdown menu should have an option to "disable display", then you can choose "extend desktop" with the other two. I can test this for you when I get home though.

have monitor 1 and tv duplicate and have 2 extend the desktop

Get Display Fusion- although I believe you can setup everything in windows- I run 4 display- the middle one is primary- with desktop on it and the tool bar only on this one- it's extended to the left and right one. and the right one is cloned with the tv.

"Play the course as you find it. Play the Ball as it lies. And if you can't do either, do what's fair."